Made a comment on another forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin (Wiccan)

Rimi said:
Justin (Wiccan) wrote:

Rimi, if anything I am more persuaded that my assesment was accurate than when I first made the statements.

Why?

Because this is part of a general course of action--further examples include Bob's encouraging people to oppose Judge Robert's nomination to SCOTUS. There is more, but as these things fall under the category of "oathbound information," I am not at liberty to discuss this issue fully with non-Wiccans.

So, you wouldn't call him out on it (since you're more convinced that you're right) unless you are certain you could convince him of the error of his ways? Hmm. Gee, not very neighborly of you. If you truly think he's leading people with evil intent, you would have an obligation to confront him on it -- especially publicly, since that is how he's doing what you think he's doing.

Well, that's the thing--I do believe he's being dishonest, but I do not believe that his intentions are evil. Indeed, I am totally and completely persuaded that Bob is doing what he is doing from the absolute best of intentions. My problem is that I feel that his means do not justify the intended goal.

And Wiccans do not have "an obligation to confront [others] on [wrong-doing]"--indeed, we are obliged to stop wrong, when possible, but when it is not possible we are basically to duck and cover. If it is not possible to stop the wrong we are to defend those in the way of evil to the best of our abilities, but we are not called to sacrifice ourselves if it will produce no good effect. Remember, Rimi, while we agree on some things, WIcca is a different path: your obligations are not necessarily my own.

Rimi

Justin (Wiccan) wrote:

Because this is part of a general course of action--further examples include Bob's encouraging people to oppose Judge Robert's nomination to SCOTUS. There is more, but as these things fall under the category of "oathbound information," I am not at liberty to discuss this issue fully with non-Wiccans.

Thanks for not answering.

Well, that's the thing--I do believe he's being dishonest, but I do not believe that his intentions are evil. Indeed, I am totally and completely persuaded that Bob is doing what he is doing from the absolute best of intentions. My problem is that I feel that his means do not justify the intended goal.

Your opinion, and we all have one.

And Wiccans do not have "an obligation to confront [others] on [wrong-doing]"--indeed, we are obliged to stop wrong, when possible, but when it is not possible we are basically to duck and cover. If it is not possible to stop the wrong we are to defend those in the way of evil to the best of our abilities, but we are not called to sacrifice ourselves if it will produce no good effect. Remember, Rimi, while we agree on some things, WIcca is a different path: your obligations are not necessarily my own.

Musta been a lot of Wiccans in Hitler's Germany.

Justin (Wiccan)

Rimi said:
Musta been a lot of Wiccans in Hitler's Germany.

Wicca didn't start until 1949 at the earliest, but were Wiccans around then, I would be pleased to be associated with those who acted to "defend those in the way of evil to the best of our abilities." Corrie Ten Boom comes to mind.

Not to mention that you not only just invoked Godwin's law (thereby losing the debate, informally at least), but in your analogy the only possible comparison with Bob is ... not complementary, to say the least.

Rimi

You just said you'd duck and cover. I merely gave a time in history where it was good that you weren't around. Yeesh.

BTW, the revival of Wicca dates to the '50s or so. But Wicca's been around for much longer.

Justin (Wiccan)

Rimi said:
You just said you'd duck and cover. I merely gave a time in history where it was good that you weren't around. Yeesh.

Rimi, the only thing you "merely" did was attempt to truthsmack me ... the problem is, you did not have truth on your side, and your "smack" wouldn't have gotten you out of a wet paper bag. Sorry dear--the attempt was valiant, but the execution was wimpy, to say the least.

BTW, the revival of Wicca dates to the '50s or so. But Wicca's been around for much longer.

Dearheart, I've probably forgotten more about Wiccan history than you've ever learned--and I don't mean that as an insult, but as an accurate estimate of academic study. If you want to start a debate that Wicca is older than the 1940s, go ahead and start the thread, but I fear you're just as factually wrong on that assertion as you are on ... well, lots of others. And I fear that if you do start such a debate, you're in for a real experience in truthsmacking. You may not enjoy the experience, but I guarantee it will be educational.

Rimi

Justin (Wiccan) said:
Rimi, the only thing you "merely" did was attempt to truthsmack me ... the problem is, you did not have truth on your side, and your "smack" wouldn't have gotten you out of a wet paper bag. Sorry dear--the attempt was valiant, but the execution was wimpy, to say the least.

Dearheart, I've probably forgotten more about Wiccan history than you've ever learned--and I don't mean that as an insult, but as an accurate estimate of academic study. If you want to start a debate that Wicca is older than the 1940s, go ahead and start the thread, but I fear you're just as factually wrong on that assertion as you are on ... well, lots of others. And I fear that if you do start such a debate, you're in for a real experience in truthsmacking. You may not enjoy the experience, but I guarantee it will be educational.

Yer really having to stretch on this, kid. You were hit in the fact with the fact that your religion doesn't call for you to sacrifice yourself for another to do the right thing. "Hey, it's their problem." Now you're having to be defensive about a simple observation on my part. Ya big girl.

As for what you think I know about Wicca, any fool, say like you, can do a Google. I'm sure there's more info there than you could possibly know. Also, not knowing me, you don't know my past and if I was or knew Wiccans. You've been truthsmacked by some many other here, I don't need to start anything. You should go get some ice on that lump.

Justin (Wiccan)

Rimi said:
Yer really having to stretch on this, kid. You were hit in the fact with the fact that your religion doesn't call for you to sacrifice yourself for another to do the right thing. "Hey, it's their problem."

You see, Rimi, this is where the problem comes in: you can only say that if you selectively quote-mine what I said, and such quote-mining is dishonest. That's why I say you don't have truth on your side. As for the smack, hey, you're the one who fell prey to Godwin's law, and that always backfires on a person.

Now you're having to be defensive about a simple observation on my part. Ya big girl.

"Defensive?" :rotfl: Dearheart, you're floundering. I'm about as "defensive" as a cat playing with a mouse.

As for what you think I know about Wicca, any fool, say like you, can do a Google. I'm sure there's more info there than you could possibly know. Also, not knowing me, you don't know my past and if I was or knew Wiccans. You've been truthsmacked by some many other here, I don't need to start anything. You should go get some ice on that lump.

I do know that if you're talking about Wicca being "revived" in the 1940s, you're already playing in the shallow end of the pool. Feel free to keep trying, but as I said before, start a new thread--I like to keep my meals separate.

Rimi

Justin (Wiccan) said:
You see, Rimi, this is where the problem comes in: you can only say that if you selectively quote-mine what I said, and such quote-mining is dishonest. That's why I say you don't have truth on your side. As for the smack, hey, you're the one who fell prey to Godwin's law, and that always backfires on a person.

"Defensive?" :rotfl: Dearheart, you're floundering. I'm about as "defensive" as a cat playing with a mouse.

I do know that if you're talking about Wicca being "revived" in the 1940s, you're already playing in the shallow end of the pool. Feel free to keep trying, but as I said before, start a new thread--I like to keep my meals separate.

What in the name of your demon whores are you babbling about? Go play with your herbs now.

Rimi

Oh, no, not mad. Purty girl. Just trying to figure out what sort of hormonal rant your on.

You can't even be honest about what you wrote about shining people off if it should cause undo stress to you. Golly. You sure are sensitive. Must be all that oneness with mudda earth. Ya know, dirt.

Justin (Wiccan)

Rimi said:
Purty ...

Either you've never seen a picture of me, or you really need your glasses checked, dear. I was a beautiful baby, but it's been down hill ever since, and I'm still wondering what happened. :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.