ECT Luke 3:14 What does it mean to you?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Luke 3:14 KJV
(14) And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

What does this verse say to you?

Interplanner

He wanted to get both sides to calm down. Both Roman soldiers and Jewish zealots. The Roman soldiers could demand food and help at no cost, which would also aggravate the situation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think "Do violence to no man​" means that soldiers should not physically harm anyone ever?

Interplanner

Do you think "Do violence to no man​" means that soldiers should not physically harm anyone ever?

No he meant extortion, like I talked about. So rather than change the whole system, or kill them, he moved them in the direction that was fair.

Keep in mind, anyway, that he's talking to foreign soldiers occupying Judea, and that seems to be no end in sight. It's relatively peaceful; there is not an open conflict in the country or with the neighbors to the east. So it is about those kinds of situations. Zealots could not believe he would leave it at that.

Bradley D

The Greek word used is diaseio. Meaning to blackmail, extort from, intimidate. Nothing uncommon for soldiers of all centuries. The USA has regulations against such activity.

Strong's Concordance
diaseió: to shake violently, to intimidate
Original Word: διασείω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: diaseió
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-as-i'-o)
Short Definition: I blackmail, extort from
Definition: I blackmail, extort from, intimidate

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
(14) And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

It means you need to take notice of it.

LA

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Greek word used is diaseio. Meaning to blackmail, extort from, intimidate. Nothing uncommon for soldiers of all centuries. The USA has regulations against such activity.

Strong's Concordance
diaseió: to shake violently, to intimidate
Original Word: διασείω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: diaseió
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-as-i'-o)
Short Definition: I blackmail, extort from
Definition: I blackmail, extort from, intimidate
:cheers:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I will break it down for you.

Do not intimidate others with accusings, to extract something from them which is not yours, be content with what God is giving you alone.

LA

Danoh

He wanted to get both sides to calm down. Both Roman soldiers and Jewish zealots. The Roman soldiers could demand food and help at no cost, which would also aggravate the situation.

More of your own notions - he was talking the Mosaic Law to fellow Jews who were Publicans and or Soldiers under Rome's authority over Israel.