LUKE 19:11 NIGH TO JERUSALEM

DougE

Luke 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

Being near to Jerusalem was significant because of prophecy in regard to the Davidic kingdom. Jesus would reign on David's throne in Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:3 Luke 1:32-33).

The twelve were to preach remission of sins in the name of Jesus among the Gentile nations in the kingdom beginning at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47).

19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

The parable teaches that Jesus will be received into heaven and will come again (Mark 16:19 John 14:3).

19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

19:15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

The parable teaches that Jesus will come again to establish the earthly Davidic kingdom (1 Peter 1:7 2 Peter 1:11 Matthew 6:10).

19:16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.

19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.

The twelve apostles and the believing remnant of Israel will reign with Christ over the Gentile nations in the kingdom (Mathew 19:28 Revelation 20:6).

19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.