Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Louisiana is Sinking: Fast!

Tuesday June 7th, 2005. This is show # 112.

PERTINENT QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
N.O.A.A. has just issued a sobering report about the gulf of Mexico, specifically the northern part of the gulf, and that it's sinking. And what they say is that much of southern Louisiana is in big trouble. ...That part of the southern U.S. border is sinking at the rate of 5 feet per century they say. And this is a lot more rapid than they had thought for many years.

In this article out of Texas, this is the Houston Chronicle ...what's the obligatory comment? "These processes have been occuring for millions of years." And if that's the case, if Louisiana's been sinking 5 feet a year for millions of years, it would be under water by now. This is evidence of a young earth that still is reeling and settling after Noah's flood. That's what this is.

docrob57

As a coastal Louisiana resident this was interesting and a little scary, theological points aside. When I saw the show title, I thought it was about the new state "Terry Schiavo" bill. I may call in today about that one.

Stratnerd

And if that's the case, if Louisiana's been sinking 5 feet a year for millions of years, it would be under water by now. This is evidence of a young earth that still is reeling and settling after Noah's flood. That's what this is.
maybe.. just maybe, the processes that causes the sinking are relatively new.

how would I know? I worked for Louisiana Department of Natural Resources in the Coastal Restoration Division as a geoscientist (write up and review reports, do stats, etc). My job dealt directly with the subsidence problem.

What is thought to cause the sinking has been happening for millenia but recently the levee has diverted sediments from the land (during floods, thus offsetting subsidence) to the ocean where it is too deep to have any effect. Plus, they suspect that gas and oil removal contributes to this but that's a bit more dubious.

not edited for style, spelling, misc. typos.. I need to run and pick up my boy from camp : )

docrob57

Dread Helm said:
I heard it live! Good call DocRob! :thumb:

Thank you. I mada a mistake though (nerves you know). Pepe Bruno's position is that is the patient can't speak for himself, he should be deprived of food if the doctors and family agree even if the patient has specified other wishes.

Johnny

In this article out of Texas, this is the Houston Chronicle ...what's the obligatory comment? "These processes have been occuring for millions of years." And if that's the case, if Louisiana's been sinking 5 feet a year for millions of years, it would be under water by now. This is evidence of a young earth that still is reeling and settling after Noah's flood. That's what this is.

More misinformation. Here's a link to the article online.

Controversial NOAA report says Louisiana's shores plunging fast — are Texas' next?

Here's what it actually says: "Dokka and others think geologic forces during millions of years are acting to sink the Gulf Coast. The Texas coast rests upon a mobile layer of shale about 20,000 feet below ground. But because lots of water is mixed in with the shale, it cannot be fully compacted into rock, so it behaves something like toothpaste, geologists say.

A second observation is that several rivers, principally the Mississippi but also the Colorado, Brazos and many others, drain into the Gulf of Mexico, bringing untold tons of sediment over millions of years.

"You're draining almost the entire North American continent into the Gulf," Berman said. "The cumulative weight of that is immense."

So the process that's been taking place for millions of years is the dumping of sediment from the Mississippi into the Gulf of Mexico. As the article notes, this is like placing a bowling ball in the center of a trampoline, placing pressure on the underlying shale which is "toothpaste like". Eventually it will all start sliding.

Yet again, Bob doesn't have his information right but proceeds to go right on misinforming his listeners.

Oh, and the article says five feet per century, not per year as Bob misquotes.

Last edited:

Stratnerd

and 5/century is straight down and because land is sloped that can mean hundreds and thousands of feet "laterally"

SUTG

What a desperate argument for a Young Earth. He's obviously arguing with the conclusion first. Intellectually dishonest.

one4christ

Who's next? Those with Low IQ scores?

Who's next? Those with Low IQ scores?

docrob57 said:
Pepe Bruno's position is that is the patient can't speak for himself, he should be deprived of food if the doctors and family agree even if the patient has specified other wishes.
Thanks for calling in, nice to hear what else is going on in the country on this issue.

I wrote an essay on abortion in college about 10 years ago, indicating how I saw abortion leading to a disregard for human life (by using the term fetus), and by denying or overlooking what an unborn child would become if allowed to live (a fully mature human being - just like us) was destroying our culture's natural empathy and desire to preserve fellow human lives.

Besides contributing to a currently apathetic culture, I predicted that the next step would be to view the senile and the mentally handicapped as 'less than human' and the taking of these lives would be next. My teacher somewhat dismissed this as a non-possiblity, but here we are today... :(

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Stratnerd said:
and 5/century is straight down and because land is sloped that can mean hundreds and thousands of feet "laterally"
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Jukia

SUTG said:
What a desperate argument for a Young Earth. He's obviously arguing with the conclusion first. Intellectually dishonest.
You didn't expect something different did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.