Knight's pick 08-16-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
JanowJ said:
Does God ever praise His servants for good deeds? What does it mean when He says "well done, good and faithful servant..."? And no, I'm not sugesting a works based salvation, but simply that God does acknowledge when His servants do well, just as He disciplines those He loves (when they do wrong).

One other thing to consider. When in Job it says: "Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said:

“ Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked shall I return there.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong." (Job 1:20-22)

This does not mean that God caused it. In fact, please note that It makes the point that Job didn't accuse God with wrong. Just because Job said it doesn't mean it is identifying God's actions. It is simply showing how Job respoonded to the situation (from his limited perspective, not knowing what took place earlier in the chapter). Thus, Job was not blaming God, nor does this scripture mean that God did it, just that regardless of his circumstances, Job continued to praise God; a lesson we can all learn. Just as Paul learned:
But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:10-13).

And, think of these words from the great hymn:

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.

And finally, remember who the enemy is and what he does: The thief (Satan) does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10

It was Satan's goal to destroy Job, yet Job held firm to God (and not his own strength). This is the point of the story.
POTD! :first:

context

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great pick!

Status