ECT "Kingdom of Heaven," "Kingdom of God" as used in the Gospels

musterion

The terms seem to be used interchangeably in the four Gospels. Matthew uses KoH almost exclusively while the others mostly KoG. Do you see a distinction between them or are they talking about the same thing? And extending that to Acts and Paul, same question.

Whoever wants to answer, you have the mic.

Danoh

They are interchangeable.

And at times either refers to an actual kingdom, at other times, either refers to its rule.

In the one, Israel's literal, physical kingdom.

This is why the Lord even speaks of the unbelieving children of that kingdom finding themselves cast out.

On the other hand, as Paul had preached the things that are not seen; he is referring to its Heaven's spiritual rule from Heaven in the inward man of the Body member.

In this latter kingdom only those in Christ are said to be part of this kingdom.

Rosenritter

The terms seem to be used interchangeably in the four Gospels. Matthew uses KoH almost exclusively while the others mostly KoG. Do you see a distinction between them or are they talking about the same thing? And extending that to Acts and Paul, same question.

They are interchangeable, and refer to the kingdom God will establish across the entire earth upon his return, that will have no end.

John 18:36 KJV
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What else is heaven, but God's kingdom? What else is God's kingdom, but heaven and everlasting life?

No distinction between the two at all . . .

Interplanner

If you had more background in Judaism, you would know that 'heaven' is often used in deference to avoid using (misusing) the name God.

Danoh

If you had more background in Judaism, you would know that 'heaven' is often used in deference to avoid using (misusing) the name God.

Yep; definitely time for the MADs to put away their Bibles and head for Interplanner's favorite book store...

How's about some discount coupons, bro?

Interplanner

Yep; definitely time for the MADs to put away their Bibles and head for Interplanner's favorite book store...

How's about some discount coupons, bro?

You're an ignorant person Danoh. this is done here on threads by Jews. Or they write G-d etc to avoid misusing the name. Not about bookstores and cheap sarcasm. In Luke's prodigal story, he says I've sinned against heaven. Same thing. No bookstores. You're really slipping.

Danoh

You're an ignorant person Danoh. this is done here on threads by Jews. Or they write G-d etc to avoid misusing the name. Not about bookstores and cheap sarcasm. In Luke's prodigal story, he says I've sinned against heaven. Same thing. No bookstores. You're really slipping.

Nah, I've long since slipped; but thanks for the warning :chuckle:

Rosenritter

What else is heaven, but God's kingdom? What else is God's kingdom, but heaven and everlasting life?

No distinction between the two at all . . .

I am willing to call heaven where ever God makes his abode. If God is in heaven above right now, that's heaven. If God were to come down to earth and live among men, then that would be heaven for me as well.

Revelation 21:1-5 KJV
(1) And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
(2) And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
(3) And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
(4) And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
(5) And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Matthew's gospel was written primarily for Jews, the other writers for whomever will believe.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If God is in heaven above right now, that's heaven.

The word "heaven" refers to the spirit realm that surrounds the earth.

Ephesians 4:6: "One God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in you all."

The phrase "above all" refers to his higher state of being.

The Father is as close to you as your next thought.

Danoh

Matthew's gospel was written primarily for Jews, the other writers for whomever will believe.

Nope - all four were written to Israelites.

They account the ministry of Jesus as their Prophesied Messiah among them, to them.

Danoh

Jews were Israelites and were included in to whom the gospels were written.

Jesus Christ is the King of Israel of which we are a member.

Nope to the "we are a member" part.

No offence, but we've been down this road before.