Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Lagardo

I am a youth pastor at a contemporary church and I want to say that I am very glad to hear someone questioning youth groups. Church youth groups as we know them came about primarily in the 60s & 70's as churches saw an overwhelming number of teenagers (ie. the baby boomers). The common rationale was that the church needed to be presented at the teenagers' level in order to retain these future church members and leaders. Thus, churches began to have youth services, youth mission trips, youth camps, etc. etc. etc. This type of ministry has become such a mainstay of our churches that we don't stop to question it. But here's the problem: This type of ministry has failed. It came about to "disciple" the baby boomers in their teen years. In general, the baby boomers left the church in droves, shortly after graduating from their youth groups.

Now, I don't presume to have all the answers. I am a "lifer" youth minister. I have an MDIV, I am liscensed and ordained. I am not a pastor-in-training. God has called me to pastor young people and that's what I do, but I do believe there are some real problems in an area that never gets questioned. Here's a few:

Youth Group Culture: youth ministry often presents the church in such a different way than the rest of the church that the youth become a part of a little subculture and find it difficult to "fit in" with the rest of the church.

Dating Evangelism: The youth ministry becomes a place to meet or bring a date. We can all point to that one sweet story we know of the non-christian boy who comes with his girlfriend and get saved. Great! I'm happy for Him and the angels are rejoicing...but does this justify the fact that we are in a sense, using our girls as bait when we encourage, allow, or promote this? Isn't there a better way to reach the non-christian boys?

Poor Goals: This goes along with my first comments about youth group culture. Far too often, we are satisfied when a teenager adopts the culture. He wears the WWJD braclet, buys the DC Talk CD, and shouts loudly when David Crowder sings "There is no one like you, there has never EVER BEEN ANYONE LIKE YOU!" The problem is, that this fruit is nothing like the fruit of the spirit the Bible speaks of. Churches become complacent with the lack of true discipleship. We meet goals of numbers of kids at six flags, but rarely see the numbers of kids who can actually lead their friends to Christ.

Parent-Unfriendly: Youth groups are very often parent-unfriendly. Granted, it is easy as a youth minister to become very frusterated by parents, but far too often, we become unreachable to the parents. The parents become completely unaware of anything we teach or do. God ordains the parents to "train up thier children" but we usurp this role rather than support it.

Seperate from the church: Way too often, the youth ministry runs independently from the church. The youth workers begin to see their own ministry as more important than the "adult" programs. Let me give you an example: I have made an unpoular choice lately. Next Sunday, a local church is hosting a music festival. 11 Christian rock bands are coming to play. Almost every youth group in town is going to skip thier sunday evening service and attend. We aren't. This sunday night is our "summit service," the "community" service to those of you who know willowcreek models. Its a time of worship, bible teaching, the Lord's Supper, and Baptism. I have had dozens of people come to me and try to explain that the youth will get more out of the festival or that they will worship at the festival. But you see, they won't be with thier church. They won't be in true fellowship (as in KOININEA), they won't be worshiping with the body as, I believe the Bible instructs. So we aren't going to the festival, but you'd be suprised how many people just don't understand why we can't miss this time in the "adult" service. I guess my point is that its not an "adult" service, its a church service. And the youth are a part of the church too.

Anyway, discuss further

CONTEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.