Is most published research wrong?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
toward the end "As flawed as our science may be, it is far and away more reliable than any other way of knowing that we have."
But perhaps Stripey did not watch to the end.

gcthomas

It is a sensible paper, pointing out that the preponderance of small sample, low power, marginally statistically significant research without independent verification, largely in the fields sociology and medicine, is encouraged by the funding and publishing arrangements.

I've always argued for verification experiments in the Creation/Evolution thread, but Stripe rejected that approach for the radiodating discussion, preferring an unverified, underpowered measurement whilst ignoring the repeatedly verified findings.

Why is that, Stripe?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a sensible paper, pointing out that the preponderance of small sample, low power, marginally statistically significant research without independent verification, largely in the fields sociology and medicine, is encouraged by the funding and publishing arrangements.

I've always argued for verification experiments in the Creation/Evolution thread, but Stripe rejected that approach for the radiodating discussion, preferring an unverified, underpowered measurement whilst ignoring the repeatedly verified findings.

Why is that, Stripe?
Making things up wasn't the way to go. :nono:

The video describes a problem that applies to all research and of course I support verification.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

gcthomas

Making things up wasn't the way to go. :nono:

The video describes a problem that applies to all research and of course I support verification.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

You should have paid attention to it and read the paper linked on the YouTube page. It quite clearly applies particularly to unrelated, statistical, low power and marginal p value research.

Or didn't you get past the video summary and on to the meat of the research?

Get back when you've read it, then you might have something sensible to contribute.