ECT Interesting Passages

Danoh

Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

In the above, it at first appears as though Peter is able to receive a word of wisdom on a matter before the Spirit was given.

But then, it turns out that such is not the case.

In other words, there is more to the story in the following...

"...flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven..."

...than appears to be the case, on its' surface...

6days

Speaking of interesting passages.....
...... I hope this isn't too crude..... But this is a guy thing.

The circumcision thread reminded me of a fascinating story.

Joshua 5 "At that time the Lord told Joshua, “Make flint knives and circumcise this second generation of Israelites. So Joshua made flint knives and circumcised the entire male population of Israel at Gibeath-haaraloth."

Youchimamma.... Can you imagine what a nasty job that was for poor ol' Joshua? How many thousands of these 'procedures' he performed on grown, and likely weeping men? Even worse...can you imagine standing in line waiting your turn? Aye yi yi...it gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

The story continues in Joshua 5 where they remained in camp to give the poor guys some recovery time. I should say so!!

Interplanner

Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

In the above, it at first appears as though Peter is able to receive a word of wisdom on a matter before the Spirit was given.

"...flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven..."

since the revealing is in the past tense, the Father must have been revealing things before the Spirit came; so that theory needs to be revised.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Point ?

Bradley D

Peter rightly knew that Jesus was the Christ. However, what Jesus told him and the other disciples of His upcoming faith did not fit their perspective of the Messiah. The disciples and many Israelites expected the Messiah to drive the Romans out of Israel and restore the earthly kingdom.

Danoh

since the revealing is in the past tense, the Father must have been revealing things before the Spirit came; so that theory needs to be revised.

The basic error behind many of your posts is showing.

You guess into a thing from a previous one rather than from as well as; as a result of it. You then run with said guess; followed by concluding further error.

Fact is that why Peter answered Him in the affirmative as well as what He had meant as to the source of Peter's revelation on that subject are both a constant theme throughout Matthew thru John.

Likewise with why Peter then screwed up and why He then said what He said to him.

But, some refuse to see theirs is ever a guessing at a thing they then just as obliviously move on to futher build their house of cards on.

Being that that is a pattern recurrently irresponsibly relied upon throughout many a "Bible" commenatary, I am not surprised it is not only yours as well, but one you are unable to detect in your own words.

Another fool never seems to get the point; is instead ever demanding his responsibility be carried out for him.

Again...the fact is, Christ's intended sense is often found in other passages...

But, as He relates elsewhere...

John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Danoh

Peter rightly knew that Jesus was the Christ. However, what Jesus told him and the other disciples of His upcoming faith did not fit their perspective of the Messiah. The disciples and many Israelites expected the Messiah to drive the Romans out of Israel and restore the earthly kingdom.

Nevertheless; what saith the Scripture?" Gal. 4:31

Luke 1:67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; 1:73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, 1:74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, 1:75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

I know it is difficult to buck your own notions and or those an OVER RELIANCE ON EXTERNAL SOURCES result in; but try to believe the Scripture the Spirit Himself not only confirmed that day, but clearly related is connected with many other like minded passages.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I and My Father are one.
The Father in Me, and Me in the Father.
If ye believe the Father, you would believe Me.

Danoh

Nice distinction out of the many the "Thou art the Christ" distinction relies on. Great post :thumb: