In other news...

musterion

...Red China was essentially given -- not hacked, GIVEN -- extremely sensitive Office of Personnel Management information on potentially MILLIONS of gov't employees, including tons of personal information on each. That this breach, which wasn't really a breach but more like the farmer handing the henhouse door key to the fox, could even happen is beyond my comprehension.

Just in case you hadn't heard, and might care. Look into it at your leisure if you want to become really, really depressed. Or if you've ever held a security clearance, or applied for one, scared.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
information on potentially MILLIONS of gov't employees,
I bet they're upset that big brother's bigger brother is now in the game.

Let's see how the one's that spy on us will respond to being spied upon.

musterion

I bet they're upset that big brother's bigger brother is now in the game.

Let's see how the one's that spy on us will respond to being spied upon.

You know the recent (and apparently complete) 180° the Republicans have done on us? I wonder...just spitballing here...if some sensitive personal info of an adulterous, sodomistic or collie-oriented nature had been collected on them, and they knew it, but now that info has "fallen" (yeah, right) into the hands of the Chicoms who might actually release it instead of merely threaten to do so. So now, you have Paul Ryan who says the trade thing has to pass so we'll know what's in it. He said that. And Boehner, who has punished Republicans who refused to give Obama what he wants.

They have ALL been compromised, somehow. But it's beyond mere blackmail. Something has completely turned them...or they were never what they purported to be in the first place. Know what I mean?

musterion

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow (finally) and this story seriously depresses me. Here you go...

The damage is hard to exaggerate. Former NSA counterintelligence officer John Schindler calls it a “disaster” in a column headlined “China’s hack just wrecked American espionage.” Joel Brenner, America’s top counterintelligence official from 2006 to 2009, says the stolen data amounts to the “crown jewels” of American intelligence. “This tells the Chinese the identities of almost everybody who has got a United States security clearance,” he told the Associated Press.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/419861/why-are-we-ignoring-cyber-pearl-harbor-jonah-goldberg

Worse...

But even if the systems had been encrypted, it likely wouldn't have mattered. Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary for Cybersecurity Dr. Andy Ozment testified that encryption would "not have helped in this case" because the attackers had gained valid user credentials to the systems that they attacked—likely through social engineering. And because of the lack of multifactor authentication on these systems, the attackers would have been able to use those credentials at will to access systems from within and potentially even from outside the network.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/encryption-would-not-have-helped-at-opm-says-dhs-official/