Hydroplate oxygen prediction validated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought about checking my book because it seemed like he predicted it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
there was a clickbait the other day about a comet spewing alcohol and sugar -didja see it?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I suspect that they don't. But not matching reality never has stopped claims that "predictions" have been met in the past.

Which is why I didn't use the word "met" in the title. Try to have a discussion instead of reacting. :up:

Tell us why Oxygen-18 cannot be molecular oxygen. :thumb:

gcthomas

Which is why I didn't use the word "met" in the title. Try to have a discussion instead of reacting. :up:

You said "Hydroplate oxygen prediction validated". If you didn't mean 'met' or 'confirmed', how is 'validated' different?

Tell us why Oxygen-18 cannot be molecular oxygen. :thumb:

The prediction is noting to do with the molecular state of oxygen, rather the isotopes found. And O-18 has been found pretty much every place it has been looked for, so the prediction might as well have been "Oxygen in comets will have the same stable isotopes as everywhere else, exactly as scientists have always expected".

Jose Fly

So the title of the thread is "prediction validated", but in the actual thread it's "prediction not met".

Creationists are hilarious.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You said "Hydroplate oxygen prediction validated". If you didn't mean 'met' or 'confirmed', how is 'validated' different?
:AMR:

Is English your second language? "Met" or "fulfilled" would say that the deal is done — as with Prediction 37 — whereas "validated" indicates it is a reasonable thing to expect given the step we have taken toward calling it a "success."

The prediction is noting to do with the molecular state of oxygen
We know. That's why we said the prediction is "valid" rather than "successful," and why we spelled out explicitly the difference between what was predicted and what has been found so far.

And if that wasn't good enough, my post saying there is still work to do before the prediction is "confirmed" should have cleared things up.

rather the isotopes found. And O-18 has been found pretty much every place it has been looked for, so the prediction might as well have been "Oxygen in comets will have the same stable isotopes as everywhere else, exactly as scientists have always expected".
Nope. You haven't even read the prediction, let alone understood the thrust of this thread. How about you stop, take a nice deep breath and start again, reading for clarity this time instead of closing your mind to the possibility that things might be a little different than you believe. :up:

Heck, the guys who sent the spaceship up are willing to reconsider their notion of how the entire solar system formed on the basis of this discovery, but you're not even willing to open your eyes.

Telling.

Can you tell us why molecular oxygen cannot be Oxygen-18?

gcthomas

Is scientists being quite surprised the same as being shocked? :think:

O2 was predicted to be on the comet, but scientists were expecting it to be found at rather lower concentrations than that find.

The team analysed more than 3000 samples collected around the comet between September 2014 and March 2015 to identify the O2. They determined an abundance of 1–10% relative to H2O, with an average value of 3.80 ± 0.85%, an order of magnitude higher than predicted by models describing the chemistry in molecular clouds.

from the link in the OP. Didn't the poster read it?

6days

gcthomas;4502705... said:
from the link in the OP. Didn't the poster read it?
Stripe said:
know. That's why we said the prediction is "valid" rather than "successful," and why we spelled out explicitly the difference between what was predicted and what has been found so far.

And if that wasn't good enough, my post saying there is still work to do before the prediction is "confirmed" should have cleared things up.

gcthomas

:AMR:

Is English your second language? "Met" or "fulfilled" would say that the deal is done — as with Prediction 37 — whereas "validated" indicates it is a reasonable thing to expect given the step we have taken toward calling it a "success."
[/b]

From dictionary.com, the first relevent definition is:

a*:to support or corroborate on a sound or authoritative basis<experiments designed to*validate*the hypothesis>

Are you entirely unaware of the meaning of the word when used in scientific contexts?

Finding molecular oxygen on a comet is not remotely related to the isotopes found. You do know that comets are largely frozen water, with a lot of oxygen atoms? Oxygen is ubiquitous.

Jose Fly

a*:to support or corroborate on a sound or authoritative basis<experiments designed to*validate*the hypothesis>

Are you entirely unaware of the meaning of the word when used in scientific contexts?

Finding molecular oxygen on a comet is not remotely related to the isotopes found. You do know that comets are largely frozen water, with a lot of oxygen atoms? Oxygen is ubiquitous.

Well done. :up:

It's about time for Stripe to lock the thread, isn't it? :chuckle:

ok doser

a question:

would finding no oxygen support or not support the hypothesis?

gcthomas

a question:

would finding no oxygen support or not support the hypothesis?

A better question:

Does the presence of oxygen molecules, or alternatively O-18 atoms, shift the balance of evidence from the scientific consensus towards Walt's imaginings?

The answer, to this question as well as your question, is no, the presence of oxygen molecules does not add support to Walt's hypotheses.

ok doser

A better question:

Does the presence of oxygen molecules, or alternatively O-18 atoms, shift the balance of evidence from the scientific consensus towards Walt's imaginings?

The answer, to this question as well as your question, is no, the presence of oxygen molecules does not add support to Walt's hypotheses.

the answer to my question is that finding no oxygen would not support the hypothesis

now, i realize that no isotope studies have been performed (as far as i know), but can't you see that the presence of oxygen in any form is a first step?

Status
Not open for further replies.