ECT His Strength In Your Weakness...

Danoh

In a way, humour is "a weakness" - one that allows one perspective... both, about things in general, but also: about one self.

The power of one's sense of Identity; of who one is; the power of that, greatly impacts one's sense of what one is able or unable, to do...

Consider the power of that, over one's actions and or inactions in the life of a Believer...

Try the following some time. Just try it. Don't allow yourself to read whatever into it. Just try it.

The next time you feel yourself taking offence to another's words and or actions, be it here on TOL, or anywhere in life...

Remind yourself "This is NOT WHO I AM IN Christ!"

See if that not only cuts off where you were headed in your corresponding response to said offense, but immediately refocuses your thoughts, values, attitudes and actions towards those more in line with "WHO I AM IN Christ!"

In fact, should you find yourself taking offence at my suggesting any of this - apply this SENSE OF IDENTITY statement to that.

Just try that. And then rejoice in the victory over the flesh.

Of course, whatever your course of action, the above is what I will choose to glory in!

2 Corinthians 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

When Christ ALONE IS allowed to be the issue in all things, HIS strength is made perfect in said weakness.

To be sure, this is a different value system; this weakness in the Lord that the value system of the world views as "weakness."

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

heir

TOL Subscriber
In a way, humour is "a weakness" - one that allows one perspective... both, about things in general, but also: about one self.

The power of one's sense of Identity; of who one is; the power of that, greatly impacts one's sense of what one is able or unable, to do...

Consider the power of that, over one's actions and or inactions in the life of a Believer...

Try the following some time. Just try it. Don't allow yourself to read whatever into it. Just try it.

The next time you feel yourself taking offence to another's words and or actions, be it here on TOL, or anywhere in life...

Remind yourself "This is NOT WHO I AM IN Christ!"

See if that not only cuts off where you were headed in your corresponding response to said offense, but immediately refocuses your thoughts, values, attitudes and actions towards those more in line with "WHO I AM IN Christ!"

In fact, should you find yourself taking offence at my suggesting any of this - apply this SENSE OF IDENTITY statement to that.

Just try that. And then rejoice in the victory over the flesh.

Of course, whatever your course of action, the above is what I will choose to glory in!

2 Corinthians 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

When Christ ALONE IS allowed to be the issue in all things, HIS strength is made perfect in said weakness.

To be sure, this is a different value system; this weakness in the Lord that the value system of the world views as "weakness."

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Rule of first mention has infirmities as:

Matthew 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

And it's not a far leap to see that Paul had physical ailments because of what he had gone through 2 Corinthians 11:23-27 KJV

So too his thorn in the flesh was most likely physical 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 KJV

God's response to Paul's prayer is 2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV.

Refusing to be someone's door mat does not qualify as a weakness, but an exercise of one's freedom in Christ to voice that they will not tolerate abuse. Whereas a bully might view silence a permission slip for abuse; speaking up just might get that person to stop.

glorydaz

Rule of first mention has infirmities as:

Matthew 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

And it's not a far leap to see that Paul had physical ailments because of what he had gone through 2 Corinthians 11:23-27 KJV

So too his thorn in the flesh was most likely physical 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 KJV

God's response to Paul's prayer is 2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV.

Refusing to be someone's door mat does not qualify as a weakness, but an exercise of one's freedom in Christ to voice that they will not tolerate abuse. Whereas a bully might view silence a permission slip for abuse; speaking up just might get that person to stop.

I couldn't agree more....just couldn't figure out how to say it. :first:

Danoh

Completely missed my point; its' origin; its' intend sense...

Nevertheless; I'll glory in that also.

glorydaz

Completely missed my point; its' origin; its' intend sense...

Nevertheless; I'll glory in that also.

Well, the problem I had was with the premise that it's being "offended" that might bring on contentious words. I almost commented on why in the world someone would be offended, and then I realized that would open up a whole can of worms. Just because someone responds curtly, doesn't mean they've been offended even when someone looking on might think they were.

Therefore Christ being our strength didn't seem to fit what you seemed to be talking about. Maybe if you were a little more direct or something. :idunno:

Danoh

Well, the problem I had was with the premise that it's being "offended" that might bring on contentious words. I almost commented on why in the world someone would be offended, and then I realized that would open up a whole can of worms. Just because someone responds curtly, doesn't mean they've been offended even when someone looking on might think they were.

Therefore Christ being our strength didn't seem to fit what you seemed to be talking about. Maybe if you were a little more direct or something. :idunno:

Perhaps a carnal example (as the Apostle Paul might put it) will help communicate my intended sense.

The MMA Pro Fighter, Holly Holm is so seemingly weak in her ability to not respond in kind to the nasty words of others that prior to her historic upset in her devasting defeat of Rhonda Rousey, the odds were seven to one (massive odds) in favor of badmouth and bad girl, Rhonda Rousey.

Rousey is known for that both in and out of the ring.

In fact, I used to admire her; until I saw how she trashed the ever graceful Holm.

The night of the fight, Rhonda was still being Rhonda; refusing to touch gloves with Holly as the fight began.

Holly calmly and methodically wiped the floor with her in one of the worst beatings in MMA Pro Fighting history.

Afterwards, Holm hugged Rhonda and expressed her gratitude to Rhonda for the opportunity that Rhonda had made possible.

Over the course of the following months, as everyone trashed Rhonda, whenever they did so in the press to Holly, she defended Rhonda.

Holly's nick name is "The Preacher's Daughter."

Because her father, now retired, used to be Pastor.

Holly has ended up highly respected for more than her fighting skill.

I don't see the way she has chosen to conduct herself in the face of the crudeness of others as any kind of a being a doormat.

Fact is, she is one heck of a skilled martial artist.

My own martial instructor was like that, back when I was in that world. It only appears a doormat when viewed from one side of the carnal mind's perspective.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

You asked what I meant, that it appeared I meant "be a doormat."

That is what I meant - I was sharing what Grace has taught me about, as to "the whole armor of God."

If some take issue with it, or with what they make of it, well, so be it. I've already concluded I can glory in its would be tribulation, infirmity, or what have you, as the principle is the same whether the attack is words, an actual physical attack, or what have you.

Personally, I am enjoying its "like water off a duck's back" enablement in "the word of his grace" about it.

Hope that clears that up, GD :)

Last edited:

glorydaz

Perhaps a carnal example (as the Apostle Paul might put it) will help communicate my intended sense.

The MMA Pro Fighter, Holly Holm is so seemingly weak in her ability to not respond in kind to the nasty words of others that prior to her historic upset in her devasting defeat of Rhonda Rousey, the odds were seven to one (massive odds) in favor of badmouth and bad girl, Rhonda Rousey.

Rousey is known for that both in and out of the ring.

In fact, I used to admire her; until I saw how she trashed the ever graceful Holm.

The night of the fight, Rhonda was still being Rhonda; refusing to touch gloves with Holly as the fight began.

Holly calmly and methodically wiped the floor with her in one of the worst beatings in MMA Pro Fighting history.

Afterwards, Holm hugged Rhonda and expressed her gratitude to Rhonda for the opportunity that Rhonda had made possible.

Over the course of the following months, as everyone trashed Rhonda, whenever they did so in the press to Holly, she defended Rhonda.

Holly's nick name is "The Preacher's Daughter."

Because her father, now retired, used to be Pastor.

Holly has ended up highly respected for more than her fighting skill.

I don't see the way she has chosen to conduct herself in the face of the crudeness of others as any kind of a being a doormat.

Fact is, she is one heck of a skilled martial artist.

My own martial instructor was like that, back when I was in that world. It only appears a doormat when viewed from one side of the carnal mind's perspective.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.You asked what I meant, that it appeared I meant "be a doormat."

That is what I meant - I was sharing what Grace has taught me about, as to "the whole armor of God."

If some take issue with it, or with what they make of it, well, so be it. I've already concluded I can glory in its would be tribulation, infirmity, or what have you, as the principle is the same whether the attack is words, an actual physical attack, or what have you.

Personally, I am enjoying its "like water off a duck's back" enablement in "the word of his grace" about it.

Hope that clears that up, GD :)

It does. If I could administer a beating like that, I wouldn't need to say anything, either. :thumb:

Holly calmly and methodically wiped the floor with her in one of the worst beatings in MMA Pro Fighting history.​

Danoh

It does. If I could administer a beating like that, I wouldn't need to say anything, either. :thumb:

Holly calmly and methodically wiped the floor with her in one of the worst beatings in MMA Pro Fighting history.​

Lol

And, but we CAN - in the inward man where the actual "wiping of the floor with" has already been won - in HIM!

"Look at this diamond; it's a beautiful thing..." - Donnie Brasco :)

Danoh

And you, Paul's.

No, you have misunderstood the principle Paul was actually relying on, just as you have the law of first mention - because, as usual, you are being too literal.

Have at it; turn the intent of this thread into a negative if that makes your day.

Me, I'll glory in what ever that might be. I did "first mention" I would, lol.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No, you have misunderstood the principle Paul was actually relying on, just as you have the law of first mention - because, as usual, you are being too literal.

Have at it; turn the intent of this thread into a negative if that makes your day.

You sound a little aggravated here. Perhaps, you're not articulating your thoughts
very well? Have you considered that? The written word is different than the spoken
word. When we speak face to face we're able to convey, through body language,
what we're actually attempting to communicate. We don't have that luxury with
only our written words.

heir

TOL Subscriber

I read Paul just right and you just right. I see right through your charade.

Last edited: