ECT help meet ?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Genesis 2:18 KJV
(18) And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

What is your perception of what a help meet is (it's function), and the cause for needing one?

oatmeal

(18) And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

What is your perception of what a help meet is (it's function), and the cause for needing one?

Help meet.

I have seen that translated as "a help sufficient for him"

God provided a woman for Adam because Adam could not do it alone and for companionship.

Someone who would be on par with Adam so they could be mutually beneficial to each other.

Of course, that depends on both putting and keeping God first in their lives

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Help meet.

I have seen that translated as "a help sufficient for him"
Yeah.
It has varying translations.

RSV
a helper fit for him

NRS
a helper as his partner

NKJ
a helper comparable to him

YLT
an helper as his counterpart

God provided a woman for Adam because Adam could not do it alone and for companionship.

Someone who would be on par with Adam so they could be mutually beneficial to each other.

Of course, that depends on both putting and keeping God first in their lives
Do WHAT alone?
What was Adam doing that he needed help with?
What was Adam doing that no other creature could help him with?

glorydaz

Yeah.
It has varying translations.

RSV
a helper fit for him

NRS
a helper as his partner

NKJ
a helper comparable to him

YLT
an helper as his counterpart

Do WHAT alone?
What was Adam doing that he needed help with?
What was Adam doing that no other creature could help him with?

Multiply.

Gen. 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Multiply.

Gen. 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Like I always say...what good would a bolt be without a nut. :chuckle:
hehe!
Yeah, it would be hard for Adam to multiply by himself.

In that case, it wasn't that Adam needed a helper with the things he could do.
He needed her to do what he could not do.
Right?

Bradley D

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(18) It is not good . . . --In these words we have the Divine appointment of marriage, and also the declaration that the female is subsequent in order of production to the male, and formed from him. In Genesis 1:27; Genesis 5:2, the creation of male and female is represented as having been simultaneous. She is described as "a help meet for him:" Heb., a help as his front, his reflected image, or, as the Syriac translates it, a helper similar to him. The happiness of marriage is based, not upon the woman being just the same thing as the man, but upon her being one in whom he sees his image and counterpart.

glorydaz

He was supposed to be watching them critters.
But, noooooooo, he had to get his mind on something else, let his guard down, and failed to keep that nasty snake critter away from his bride.
Regretting that now, ain't ya Adam?!!!!!!

:think:

He should have taken the time to build a big cage around that tree so Eve couldn't get close to it.

Except.....that would have made her want it even more. You know how those women are.

Interplanner

In modern times, it does not generally work out for a couple to work in the same business. They rub elbows a bit too much, and do not understand the male-female differences as well as previous ages. There is so much emphasis today on a woman being another type of male as well.

To be helpful to our culture, much more time should be spent on the meaning of Gen 3:16 (to be linguistically compared to 4:7)--the desire and master problems--than on the term 'help meet.' Because we live on this side of the massive disruption of mankind's rebellion.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In modern times, it does not generally work out for a couple to work in the same business. They rub elbows a bit too much, and do not understand the male-female differences as well as previous ages. There is so much emphasis today on a woman being another type of male as well.

To be helpful to our culture, much more time should be spent on the meaning of Gen 3:16 (to be linguistically compared to 4:7)--the desire and master problems--than on the term 'help meet.' Because we live on this side of the massive disruption of mankind's rebellion.
We are all well aware that you think most of the Bible is a waste of time to study.
Some of us like to study all of it.

genuineoriginal

Translated into modern English, "help meet" means "assistant appropriate".
I will make him an assistant appropriate for him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translated into modern English, "help meet" means "assistant appropriate".
I will make him an assistant appropriate for him.
I think we all get that Eve was made to be a suitable helper to Adam.
But may be a little sketchy on what it was that Eve was supposed to help Adam do.
Was the garden and the animals too much work that Adam couldn't tend them by himself?
Was Eve created to ease Adam's workload?

I mean, wouldn't another man be the most logical, if it were the workload Adam needed help with?
Why make a weaker vessel to help Adam with that?

In other words, what were Eve's expected duties in "helping" Adam before the fall occurred?

genuineoriginal

I think we all get that Eve was made to be a suitable helper to Adam.
But may be a little sketchy on what it was that Eve was supposed to help Adam do.
Was the garden and the animals too much work that Adam couldn't tend them by himself?
Was Eve created to ease Adam's workload?

I mean, wouldn't another man be the most logical, if it were the workload Adam needed help with?
Why make a weaker vessel to help Adam with that?

In other words, what were Eve's expected duties in "helping" Adam before the fall occurred?
From the passage, it should be obvious that Eve's "duty" was to be with Adam so Adam would not be alone.

Genesis 2:18
18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From the passage, it should be obvious that Eve's "duty" was to be with Adam so Adam would not be alone.

Genesis 2:18
18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.​

Does that imply that Adam just needed company so he wouldn't feel lonely?
I mean, another man would keep him from being lonely.
Why would a weaker vessel be a more sufficient choice to keep him company than a stronger vessel like himself (ie. another man)?

genuineoriginal

Does that imply that Adam just needed company so he wouldn't feel lonely?
I mean, another man would keep him from being lonely.
Why would a weaker vessel be a more sufficient choice to keep him company than a stronger vessel like himself (ie. another man)?
What kind of activities would a man do with his wife that would be wrong for two men to do with each other?