Hello TOL

Recycled Human

My name is Chris, I joined this forum as a companion in my search of a more complete understanding of the biblical backing for my own personal beliefs. I'm a Lutheran, but I've picked up several different ideas along the way that don't tie in with the mainstream philosophy. I chose here because of the seemingly Christian community with the hope that your efforts in furthering yourself will help to point me in the right direction as I seek to further myself.

I plan on getting married next year and several tough questions have come up between me and my significant other. Namely our differing religious background and the potential spiritual life of a child sometime far down the road.

I know what I believe but what I lack is the why, I learned much from philosophical studies both in school and on my own, as well as theological studies when I underwent the preparation for my first communion. My religious studies have been at the core of my being for as long as I can remember.

My number one concern is getting Christians back to the message and to explain my interpretation of what that message means and how it applies to everything in life.

Thank you for having me,

Rehu

Dena

Hello and Welcome! What are some of the differences between you and your wife to be in regards to religion?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
welcome2.gif

Mike C.

Excellent! My wife is Lutheran and we have to discuss the same issues. I've wanted to wrestle with a Lutheran on this site for a while now (pastors can only give so much). I look forward to discovering and debating your beliefs.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I plan on getting married next year and several tough questions have come up between me and my significant other. Namely our differing religious background and the potential spiritual life of a child sometime far down the road.

If she ain't a Christian, DON'T MARRY!

Recycled Human

Thanks for the warm welcome all! For the record my fiancé is Jewish but never practiced. She has no concern one way or the other about religion (which is the major difference between the two of us). The issue for me is that I understand children in Jewish culture take the religion of the mother, I'm considering converting for the purpose of teaching their heritage but continuing to practice as a Christian, then teach them part 2 when they are interested.

To be completely clear, her parents don't practice either and have no illusions about needing a Jewish boy to marry their daughter, this is merely something I want to do.

PureX

My number one concern is getting Christians back to the message and to explain my interpretation of what that message means and how it applies to everything in life.
Why? Why would this be a concern? Why is the "message" your priority rather than the suffering of others, say, or dealing with your own shortcomings, or, just expressing love as best you can within the confines of the life you've been given?

And why do you feel this need to explain yourself? Why would we need to know how you interpret the "message"?

Just asking.

And welcome.

One Eyed Jack

Thanks for the warm welcome all! For the record my fiancé is Jewish but never practiced. She has no concern one way or the other about religion (which is the major difference between the two of us). The issue for me is that I understand children in Jewish culture take the religion of the mother, I'm considering converting for the purpose of teaching their heritage but continuing to practice as a Christian, then teach them part 2 when they are interested.

To be completely clear, her parents don't practice either and have no illusions about needing a Jewish boy to marry their daughter, this is merely something I want to do.

Most Rabbis would rather you be a good Gentile than a bad Jew. While they do allow converts, they're not exactly a proselytizing faith, and they have no illusions about how difficult it can be following the Law. Frankly, it's a burden you don't want to be under.

On the other hand, your future wife and potential children may be interested in what the Jews for Jesus have to say, and you may as well.