Having a large family is now a status symbol?

The Berean

For the past decade of so I have read many articles and reports about younger people not wanting to have many children or any children due to various reasons. Western Europe, especially, is going through a significant population decline due to young couples not having large families. Yet according to this article in New York City having a large family is fast becoming a "status symbol".

The ultimate status symbol for millionaire moms on New York's Upper East Side is not what you'd expect

A ski home in Aspen? A private jet? A closet full of Birkin bags? If you thought any of these were the ultimate status symbol among the millionaires and billionaires of New York City's Upper East Side — one of the biggest enclaves of wealth on the planet — you'd be wrong.

The ultimate status symbol, according to Wednesday Martin, Ph.D., author of the newly released memoir "Primates of Park Avenue," is a whole mess of kids.

GFR7

Not a good reason to have many children: Just to show you're rich, and can afford nannies and private schools and camps? Yuck. Undemocratic. Just dreadful.

The Berean

Not a good reason to have many children: Just to show you're rich, and can afford nannies and private schools and camps? Yuck. Undemocratic. Just dreadful.

Well, the article assumes that's the main reason the "rich" are having children but I am not sure they actually interviewed the "rich". I know a "rich" family here in Silicon Valley. The father makes so much money that the mother didn't have to work. They "only" had three children but there are a tight close nit family. I know them because when my wife was in her early 20's (years before I met her) she was their part time nanny. The mother was a full time mother and my wife started working for them when their oldest was about a year and a half old and the mother was pregnant with her second child. Today the oldest child is about to graduate from Harvard University. The second oldest child currently attends Cornell University. Their third child is about to graduate from high school.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lots of kids makes you cool. :cool:

Having lots of kids is the best way to get rich. :thumb:

Caledvwlch

Imagine you're old and have five kids, 15 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids.

Now imagine you're old and have no kids.

Cool, but how do I know they have either the means or the desire to take care of me? Also, "take care of" isn't the same thing as "make rich."

The Berean

A lot of rich athletes have tons of kids.... and tons of baby mamas too.

That's another issue all together. Many young men struggle to control their sexual impulses. Now give a relatively uneducated young man millions of dollars and he will draw the attention of many women who want his money. These young men think they are "players" but in reality they are being "played" by these women. Many of these women plan to get impregnated by these young wealthy men who have no clue. And they are too stupid to realize it. Shawn Kemp and Evander Holyfield come to mind. :think:

http://www.si.com/vault/1998/05/04/...he-legal-financial-and-emotional-consequences

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool, but how do I know they have either the means or the desire to take care of me? Also, "take care of" isn't the same thing as "make rich."
Who said anything about taking care of anyone? :idunno:

One can easily "imagine" this family living dirt poor in a trailer park.
You can do that if you want, as long as you consider both cases.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's another issue all together. Many young men struggle to control their sexual impulses. Now give a relatively uneducated young man millions of dollars and he will draw the attention of many women who want his money. These young men think they are "players" but in reality they are being "played" by these women. Many of these women plan to get impregnated by these young wealthy men who have no clue. And they are too stupid to realize it. Shawn Kemp and Evander Holyfield come to mind. :think:

http://www.si.com/vault/1998/05/04/...he-legal-financial-and-emotional-consequences

Right, that example's totally backwards--I'd say many celebrities with a ton of illegitimate kids running around were put in that position because of the money, not because having a lot of kids somehow magically makes you wealthy. I have no idea where this kind of nonsense comes from.

The Berean

A man used to feel ashamed if his wife had to work. :rolleyes: 1 Ti 5:8 KJV

That's not what Proverbs 31 says. This describes a woman who works at home and also sells items in the marketplace.

10 An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels.

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
And he will have no lack of gain.

12 She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life.

13 She looks for wool and flax
And works with her hands in delight.

14 She is like merchant ships;
She brings her food from afar.

15 She rises also while it is still night
And gives food to her household
And portions to her maidens.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
From her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She girds herself with strength
And makes her arms strong.

18 She senses that her gain is good;
Her lamp does not go out at night.

19 She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
And her hands grasp the spindle.

20 She extends her hand to the poor,
And she stretches out her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household,
For all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for herself;
Her clothing is fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates,
When he sits among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
And supplies belts to the tradesmen.

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
And she smiles at the future.

26 She opens her mouth in wisdom,
And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

27 She looks well to the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children rise up and bless her;
Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:

29 “Many daughters have done nobly,
But you excel them all.”

30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

31 Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Pr 31] That's not what Proverbs 31 says. This describes a woman who works at home and also sells items in the marketplace...
She sends the kids off to day-a-don't-care (Enyart). :idunno: Pr 22:6

Are you a women's libber? :listen: Not too attractive for a man. :rolleyes: 1 Tim 5:8

Last edited:

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Difficult social and economic conditions in America simply make it impractical for so many couples to have large families , even if they make a good living .
It costs an awful lot today to bring up just one child , so seven
just aren't realistic .

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Difficult social and economic conditions in America simply make it impractical for so many couples to have large families , even if they make a good living .
It costs an awful lot today to bring up just one child , so seven
just aren't realistic .
Feel free to not contribute to the genome. :up: