HALLOWEEN

OCTOBER23

off the net

In ancient Britain and Ireland, the Celtic Festival of Samhain was observed on October 31, at the end of summer…. The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on this day and the autumnal festival acquired sinister significance, with ghosts, witches, goblins, black cats, fairies and demons of all kinds said to be roaming about. It was the time to placate the supernatural powers controlling the processes of nature. In addition, Halloween was thought to be the most favorable time for divinations concerning marriage, luck, health, and death. It was the only day on which the help of the devil was invoked for such purposes.:devil:

Halloween symbols, customs, and practices undoubtedly have had a variety of influences upon Western culture throughout history. However, in early American history, Halloween was not celebrated due to America’s strong Christian heritage. It was not widely observed until the twentieth century. Initially, it was practiced only in small Irish Catholic settlements, until thousands of Irish migrated to America during the great potato famine and brought their customs with them. To some degree, our modern Halloween is an Irish holiday with early origins in the Celtic winter festival. Interestingly, in American culture, the rise in popularity of Halloween also coincides roughly with the national rise in spiritism that began in 1848.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we remember the dead

to live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die

thomas campbell

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
My costume last year was to take my clothes off, put a raisin in my navel and go as a cookie.

I will not be doing that one for this year. It did not turn out well at all.

daqq

So ... what did you go as this year, Truster? Mr. Rogers?

"It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood ..."

Hmmm, a day after Halloween thread:

Hi Rusha, if you close your eyes, place your right index finger over your left temple, place your left index finger over your right temple, and then imagine both of your index fingers passing slowly through your temples until the tips of your fingers touch in the center of your mind; you might feel a mild static electrical sensation pulsing through your frontal lobe and the heavens of your mind may be opened. If it works you might not tell me but if it doesn't you probably will. :)