Gowdy: FBI 'did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do' in Russia prob

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Washington (CNN)House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Tuesday he is now "more convinced" that the FBI acted appropriately in its handling of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible connections to Donald Trump's campaign.
Gowdy's comments come as President Trump continues to attack the department and the bureau over the handling of the Russia investigation.
"I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump," the South Carolina Republican said in an interview on Fox News.
As the President continues his attacks on special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, Trump has started to suggest without offering evidence that the FBI under former President Barack Obama's administration embedded an informant in his campaign to act as a spy.

I suppose that Gowdy, now that he's leaving Congress, says what he thinks, regardless. It's too bad that we don't have many who will tell the truth even when they want to be re-elected.

pondsbb

Washington (CNN)House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Tuesday he is now "more convinced" that the FBI acted appropriately in its handling of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible connections to Donald Trump's campaign.
Gowdy's comments come as President Trump continues to attack the department and the bureau over the handling of the Russia investigation.
"I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump," the South Carolina Republican said in an interview on Fox News.
As the President continues his attacks on special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, Trump has started to suggest without offering evidence that the FBI under former President Barack Obama's administration embedded an informant in his campaign to act as a spy.

I suppose that Gowdy, now that he's leaving Congress, says what he thinks, regardless. It's too bad that we don't have many who will tell the truth even when they want to be re-elected.
I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump," the South Carolina Republican said in an interview on Fox News.

Yeah right, based all on some political dossier that had everything to do with Donald Trump.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yeah right, based all on some political dossier that had everything to do with Donald Trump.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Nope. It was a Trump staffer, bragging to an Australian official that got the investigation started. The Dossier, which was largely confirmed by other evidence, was not what initiated the investigation.

How the Russia Inquiry Began: A Campaign Aide, Drinks and Talk of Political Dirt

WASHINGTON — During a night of heavy drinking at an upscale London bar in May 2016, George Papadopoulos, a young foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign, made a startling revelation to Australia’s top diplomat in Britain: Russia had political dirt on Hillary Clinton.

About three weeks earlier, Mr. Papadopoulos had been told that Moscow had thousands of emails that would embarrass Mrs. Clinton, apparently stolen in an effort to try to damage her campaign.

Exactly how much Mr. Papadopoulos said that night at the Kensington Wine Rooms with the Australian, Alexander Downer, is unclear. But two months later, when leaked Democratic emails began appearing online, Australian officials passed the information about Mr. Papadopoulos to their American counterparts, according to four current and former American and foreign officials with direct knowledge of the Australians’ role.

The hacking and the revelation that a member of the Trump campaign may have had inside information about it were driving factors that led the F.B.I. to open an investigation in July 2016 into Russia’s attempts to disrupt the election and whether any of President Trump’s associates conspired.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/...-investigation-began-george-papadopoulos.html

When a top congressional republican tamps down on the diversion attempt, it's pretty much dead.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
WASHINGTON — There is no evidence that the FBI planted a “spy” on President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, a senior House Republican said Wednesday, contradicting Trump’s repeated insistence that the agency inserted a “spy for political reasons and to help Crooked Hillary win.”

Rep. Trey Gowdy, chairman of the House Oversight Committee and a longtime Trump supporter, was briefed last week by the Justice Department and FBI following reports that investigators relied on a U.S. government informant in their probe of Russian election meddling.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump,” Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican, told Fox News on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Gowdy said he had “never heard the term ‘spy’ used” and did not see evidence of it.

“Informants are used all day, every day by law enforcement,” he told “CBS This Morning.”

Asked about Gowdy’s comments, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president “still has concerns about whether or not the FBI acted inappropriately having people in his campaign.”

Sanders declined to say who in the campaign the president might suspect of providing information to the FBI.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b14593acaa6_story.html?utm_term=.7bc81a397b7c

Oops. Back to the diversion planning.