Goodbye Internet Freedom

Danoh

Trump’s FCC To Gut Internet Freedom By Killing Net Neutrality Rules On December 14

In a statement that was loaded with doublespeak, FCC Chair Ajit Pai announced a vote on a plan that would put control of what internet users see and use in the hands of big Internet Service Providers like Verizon and Comcast.

Here is Pai’s statement:

fcc-netneutrality-701x602.jpg

The only freedom Pai’s plan provides is the freedom for big corporations to execute a hostile takeover of the internet. Republicans want the internet to be corporate controlled and website, like this one, will have to pay for access to readers. Websites and services that can pay the ISPs will be put in a fast lane, and everyone else will go into a slow lane. If net neutrality is ended, the days of the internet being an open and level playing field will be over.

Elections have consequences, so when roughly 80,000 voters in three states put Donald Trump in the White House, they also voted to kill internet freedom.

A President who doesn’t even use the internet is about to champion an action that will be a giant step backward for innovation, freedom, and equality.

Net neutrality must be saved.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/11...killing-net-neutrality-rules-december-14.html

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Maybe someone can help me with something.

I've been reading about this net neutrality stuff and one reason that the anti-NN crowd gives is that NN discourages investment in networks. I haven't seen any explanation about WHY it discourages it though. What is the connection between NN and investing in internet infrastructure?

In my mind NN is basically about not picking favorites when it comes to content, so how does that affect investment? Is it simply a money thing, where if NN is gone then ISPs can start raising some prices and invest with that extra revenue?