ECT God's grace unmerited you say?

Cross Reference

". . . . God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble".
1 Peter 5:5 (KJV)

So, given this verse, what is there to argue out?

But perhaps the Calinvist would say God resists those to whom He gives no faith and receives to Himself only those to whom He grants faith irrespective of whether of not they come to Him; irrespective of the results of His intentions.

What do you think?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The humble knows he does not deserve it. Unlike you, who think you have earned it.

I'll let John W come in and officially close this thread.

Cross Reference

The humble knows he does not deserve it. Unlike you, who think you have earned it.

I'll let John W come in and officially close this thread.

The humble one is not even thinking about such things as you do to make sure of his display, which at that point would simply reveal his fraud, much like you do when making the attempt. Perhaps J.W. can show you how it is accomplished?

ZacharyB

". . . . God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble".
1 Peter 5:5 (KJV)
So, given this verse, what is there to argue out?
But perhaps the Calinvist would say God resists those to whom He gives no faith and receives to Himself only those to whom He grants faith irrespective of whether of not they come to Him; irrespective of the results of His intentions.
What do you think?
Yes, there are several OT verses, which reveal WHO God desires to spend eternity with.
So, my question is: Does this play a part in WHO God chooses to give the necessary
seed of faith to believe in Jesus and His precious Gospel?
HOW does He choose?

BTW, He creates some for His glory,
and He creates some to be trashed in the dumpster (Romans 9).
It is challenging to try to figure this out, which we're not really able to do.
Because God's thoughts and ways are mucho beyond our ways!

Cross Reference

Yes, there are several OT verses, which reveal WHO God desires to spend eternity with.
So, my question is: Does this play a part in WHO God chooses to give the necessary
seed of faith to believe in Jesus and His precious Gospel?
HOW does He choose?

No such thing as "seed faith" mentioned anywhere in the Bible. Jesus said IF you have faith as small as a seed then you can perform in mighty ways. I would assume He was refering to His faith that Paul life by.

BTW, He creates some for His glory,
and He creates some to be trashed in the dumpster (Romans 9).
It is challenging to try to figure this out, which we're not really able to do.
Because God's thoughts and ways are mucho beyond our ways!

Not at all challenging if you can believe God never arbitrarily did such thing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Funny that CR thinks he has earned grace. There are only two positions. You deserve to have righteousness imputed to you (think about that statement) or you don't deserve it. There is not a third position.

Cross Reference

"The wicked worketh a deceitful work: but to him that soweth righteousness shall be a sure reward. As righteousness tendeth to life: so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death. They that are of a froward heart are abomination to the LORD: but such as are upright in their way are his delight."
Proverbs 11:18-20 (KJV)

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise. Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner."
Proverbs 11:30-31 (KJV)

Does anyone see a Respecter of persons in any of that? I do.

Cross Reference

"Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death." Proverbs 8:32-36 (KJV)

Danoh

Proverbs 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

Meaning?

1 Kings 2:1 Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die; and he charged Solomon his son, saying, 2:2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man; 2:3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself: 2:4 That the LORD may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.

Case in point...

Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth; 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

In contrast to...

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Cross Reference

Proverbs 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

Meaning?

1 Kings 2:1 Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die; and he charged Solomon his son, saying, 2:2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man; 2:3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself: 2:4 That the LORD may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.

Case in point...

Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth; 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

In contrast to...

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

I see no contrast in righteousness. Show me some.

Cross Reference

Like the man said: Grace in the Hebrew means: "favor". Therefore, Eph 2:8 more correctly be understood as saying: 'For by God's favor has His salvation been given to you by your faith. Salvation is not of any righteous works you might have performed: it is the gift of God' because you believed and asked for it.
Ephesians 2:8,9 (KJV)

". . . Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Galatians 3:6 (KJV). ". . . that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might/may be given to them that believe. Galatians 3:22 (KJV). Abraham was "called a friend of God" Jas 2:23 KJV. Because of his faith is he noted to be the father of faith to all who believe in Christ Jesus. And: "Now the just shall live by [such] faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him." Hebrews 10:38 (KJV) "But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition/destruction; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul. Hebrews 10:39 (KJV) Are you there yet?

[emphasis mine]

Last edited: