God hardened pharoahs heart. Why ?

beloved57

Ex 4:21

And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

Rom 9:17-19

17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he[God] hardeneth.

19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

It was the fixed definite will of God that pharaoh should not obey God, for God purposely hardened his heart not to obey His command. So in his disobedience pharoah did Gods will. It was by Gods irresistible Power working in pharoah that caused him to willingly disobeys Gods command, in order that God could show His Power in pharoah Rom 9:17

17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

And pharoah didnt have any freewill of his own to not disobey God, hence the conclusion of sinful men, as Paul anticipated in Vs 19

Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

If pharoah was completely irresistibly under the power of God to be hardened and disobey, then why would God find fault with him ?

Nanja

It was God working in pharoah to disobey His command to let His people go.

Absolutely, God predestinated Pharaoh's disobedience according to the counsel of His own will Eph. 1:11, to be a vessel of dishonor fitted for destruction Rom. 9:22. And Pharaoh had no ability [no freewill] to oppose or withstand what the Power of God was effecting him to do Dan. 4:35.

beloved57

Amen Sister!
Absolutely, God predestinated Pharaoh's disobedience according to the counsel of His own will Eph. 1:11, to be a vessel of dishonor fitted for destruction Rom. 9:22. And Pharaoh had no ability [no freewill] to oppose or withstand what the Power of God was effecting him to do.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

beameup

The Egyptians gave the Hebrews all of their wealth (jewels, gold, etc.) and gave them permission to leave Egypt because they recognized the superiority of their God over the "gods" of Egypt.
However, later the Pharaoh "changed his mind" and decided to chase them in order to kill or capture them.

beloved57

The Egyptians gave the Hebrews all of their wealth (jewels, gold, etc.) and gave them permission to leave Egypt because they recognized the superiority of their God over the "gods" of Egypt.
However, later the Pharaoh "changed his mind" and decided to chase them in order to kill or capture them.
Rabbit Trail

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

beloved57

Now the question is, was pharoahs hardening an indication that he was eternally damned ? Theres no scripture that specifically says he was eternally damned, and theres none that specifically says he wasnt either, so we must draw a conclusion from other scripture that relates. I believe his hardening by God does indicate his eternal destruction, heres why. In the Romans 9 context pharoah is mentioned as one God hardens as opposed to being one that God shows mercy Rom 9:15-18

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

It appears God didnt design pharoah for mercy, which would indicate he would be a vessel of wrath Vs 22 opposed to being a vessel of mercy Vs 23

Now the vessels of wrath are fitted for destruction ! Rom 9:22

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

The word destruction ἀπωλείας means:

destruction, ruin, loss, perishing; eternal ruin.

beloved57

Another reason derived from scripture as to why i believe pharoah was eternally damned, its because when God hardens a persons heart or spirit its so that He may destroy them ! Josh 11:20

20 For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the Lord commanded Moses.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From Gotquestions.org

Exodus 7:3-4 says, “But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my people the Israelites.” It seems unjust for God to harden Pharaoh’s heart and then to punish Pharaoh and Egypt for what Pharaoh decided when his heart was hardened. Why would God harden Pharaoh’s heart just so He could judge Egypt more severely with additional plagues?

First, Pharaoh was not an innocent or godly man. He was a brutal dictator overseeing the terrible abuse and oppression of the Israelites, who likely numbered over 1.5 million people at that time. The Egyptian pharaohs had enslaved the Israelites for 400 years. A previous pharaoh—possibly even the pharaoh in question—ordered that male Israelite babies be killed at birth (Exodus 1:16). The pharaoh God hardened was an evil man, and the nation he ruled agreed with, or at least did not oppose, his evil actions.

Second, on least a couple occasions, Pharaoh hardened his own heart against letting the Israelites go: “But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:15). “But this time also Pharaoh hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:32). It seems that God and Pharaoh were both active in one way or another in the hardening of Pharaoh’s heart. As the plagues continued, God gave Pharaoh increasingly severe warnings of the final judgment to come. Pharaoh chose to bring further judgment on himself and his nation by hardening his own heart against God’s commands.

It could be that, as a result of Pharaoh’s hard-heartedness, God hardened Pharaoh’s heart even further, allowing for the last few plagues and bringing God’s full glory into view (Exodus 9:12; 10:20, 27). Pharaoh and Egypt had brought these judgments on themselves with 400 years of slavery and mass murder. Since the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), and Pharaoh and Egypt had horribly sinned against God, it would have been just if God had completely annihilated Egypt. Therefore, God’s hardening Pharaoh’s heart was not unjust, and His bringing additional plagues against Egypt was not unjust. The plagues, as terrible as they were, actually demonstrate God’s mercy in not completely destroying Egypt, which would have been a perfectly just penalty.

Romans 9:17-18 declares, “For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: ‘I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.’ Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.” From a human perspective, it seems wrong for God to harden a person and then punish the person He has hardened. Biblically speaking, however, we have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23), and the just penalty for that sin is death (Romans 6:23). Therefore, God’s hardening and punishing a person is not unjust; it is actually merciful in comparison to what the person deserves.

Nanja

Now the question is, was pharoahs hardening an indication that he was eternally damned ? Theres no scripture that specifically says he was eternally damned, and theres none that specifically says he wasnt either, so we must draw a conclusion from other scripture that relates. I believe his hardening by God does indicate his eternal destruction, heres why. In the Romans 9 context pharoah is mentioned as one God hardens as opposed to being one that God shows mercy Rom 9:15-18

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

It appears God didnt design pharoah for mercy, which would indicate he would be a vessel of wrath Vs 22 opposed to being a vessel of mercy Vs 23

Now the vessels of wrath are fitted for destruction ! Rom 9:22

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

The word destruction ἀπωλείας means:

destruction, ruin, loss, perishing; eternal ruin.

Amen, and as a vessel of wrath Rom. 9:22, Pharaoh would have been predestinated to eternal ruin; as opposed to God's Vessels of Mercy which were predestinated to Eternal Salvation.

beloved57

Mercy equals Salvation ! Sometimes in scripture, a term means more than its mere mention may indicate, like for instance the Term Mercy, in particular in these instances:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...s-and-Varied-Truth-s-of-scripture!/page44#655

jaybird

pharaoh made his bed, he had to sleep in it. thats they way i see it. IMO the Lord didnt prevent him from changing his mind, He held him to account for is opening decision, to reject the Lord and to reject the Lords anointed.

beloved57

Now one more reason why I believe the scripture indicates that pharoah was hardened and eternally damned, lost, its because of his destruction in the red sea. This was in type a destruction of the enemies of the Lamb and His People in the final Judgment, Lets look at Rev 15:1-4

And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

Now what is the Song of Moses the servant of God ? It refers back to Ex 15, read the whole chapter, but lets look at a versus in it Ex 15:1-12

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.

4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.

5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone.

6 Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.

7 And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble.

8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.

9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.

10 Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters.

11 Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

12Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.

Nanja

Now one more reason why I believe the scripture indicates that pharoah was hardened and eternally damned, lost, its because of his destruction in the red sea. This was in type a destruction of the enemies of the Lamb and His People in the final Judgment, Lets look at Rev 15:1-4And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

Now what is the Song of Moses the servant of God ? It refers back to Ex 15, read the whole chapter, but lets look at a versus in it Ex 15:1-12

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.

4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.

5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone.

6 Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.

7 And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble.

8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.

9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.

10 Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters.

11 Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

12Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.

Amen ! Pharaoh and those in Rev. 15:1, enemies of The Lamb and His People, He hardened their hearts and prepared them for Judgment according to His Eternal Purpose Eph. 3:11, fitting them for destruction Rom. 9:22; Rev. 21:8.

Prov. 16:4

The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

But the Righteousness all the Elect of God have Rom. 8:33 is solely based on the Work performed by Christ their Covenant Head and Surety from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Is. 53:10-11 on their behalf, thus declared Righteous Rom. 5:19.

Therefore, God's Promise to them is:

Is. 54:17

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

csuguy

Pharaoh had already sinned greatly on his own, and God decided to simultaneously punish pharaoh and use him to demonstrate his power.

Exodus 1:22 Then Pharaoh gave this order to all his people: “Every Hebrew boy that is born you must throw into the Nile, but let every girl live.”​

Notice that God did not harden his heart here - he did this of his own volition. The Calvinists want to take specific passages where God hardened pharaoh's heart and attempt to make it universal for everyone, everywhere, always - but there is no justification for it. To the contrary, what they are doing is tantamount to saying that God makes us sin and then punishes us for it. They blaspheme.