Gillette Attacks Men and Masculinity

drbrumley

Boycott it!

P&G Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad
Spot pegged to #MeToo asks ‘Is this the best a man can get?’

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...because i want the company i support by buying its products to lecture me on morality? :freak:

no

stupid move - it's gonna cost them, especially among the young men who are in the early stages of forming brand loyalty

what's next, budweiser lecturing beer drinkers on the immorality of objectifying the female body?

c2b17ce305144f0a98054e6bca29721f---s-vintage-ads.jpg

genuineoriginal

Best response to Gillette's attack on men and masculinity:

Growing A Manly Beard (Archived Version)
Growing a beard is an affirmation of manliness and masculinity. The beard itself is a physical characteristic that separates men from boys, girls, and women. In a culture that has downplayed good old-fashioned masculinity, growing a beard shows that you are not afraid of being a manly man. You can reclaim an aspect of manliness that is too often lost by growing a beard.

drbrumley

Gillette’s Toxic Feminism

Writes Brian Dunaway:
Procter & Gamble’s femsplaining reaches new heights of condescension, but this text from the WSJ article really confused me: “The ad puts a new spin on the brand’s 30-year tagline, ‘The Best A Man Can Get,’ challenging men to take positive actions, such as stopping other men, and the next generation, from harassing women.”

Why is this necessary? Aren’t we told every minute of every day – especially in the advertising media – that women are stronger and smarter than men? And wouldn’t “stopping other men … from harassing women” be characterized as being a gentleman, or even, God forbid, chivalrous? I thought we were supposed to detest this behavior now?

Did I miss a meeting?

genuineoriginal

Why Gillette's New Ad Campaign Is Toxic

Reaction to "We Believe in the Best in Men" has been overwhelmingly negative, with comments on its own Youtube channel running negative by an astonishing ten to one margin. There are those who really like the ad really like the campaign a lot and argue that it is simply trying to reinforce positive behavior. However, the much larger group who dislikes it includes many men who are saying the ad is insulting to men and full of stereotypes. What is perhaps most dangerous for Gillette, however, is the large number of posters who are threatening to never buy the product again.

So where did Gillette go wrong here? I think there are three main points to be made:

1) While corporate social responsibility appeals can be effective, corporations must be sensitive to the potential of consumers being skeptical of their motives, or not wanting to be told how to behave by a profit-motivated company.
the real issue with the “Best a Man Can Be” from the point of view of its critics is that many men don’t think they need a corporation (especially one they are buying products from) telling them what it is to be masculine or to scolding them for not doing enough to address an issue.

2. The creative in the “Best a Man Can Be” could be more effective if delivered differently
Approval is often related to fitting in with social norms. As Elsesser points out that while the ad clearly disapproves of the bad behaviors it depicts, it simultaneously suggests that most men engage in these behaviors. It follows that to fit in, or to be “masculine,” one would seek approval by engaging in those behaviors engaged in by a majority of the groups – not the “some men” that is “not enough” in the opinion of Gillette. Ultimately this is a mixed message

3) Politically charged language should be avoided by advertisers
The use of the term “toxic masculinity” in the ad was a flat out mistake. While only mentioned quickly and briefly, the use of this term, which many men associate with a one-sided critique and stereotype of an entire gender. Regardless of how much some without marketing backgrounds would like to believe that companies taking political stances on is okay, alienating a substantial proportion of the target audience is never a good thing.

As it stands “The Best a Man Can Be” managed to unnecessarily alienate many of the companies customers, including many good men who largely agree with the underlying issues addressed in the ad.

How are men supposed to respond to a manufacturer of products for men when that manufacturer effectively says that it doesn't like men?

ok doser

How are men supposed to respond to a manufacturer of products for men when that manufacturer effectively says that it doesn't like men?

with a forceful one finger salute and a transition to that manufacturer's competitors?

The use of the term “toxic masculinity” in the ad was a flat out mistake. While only mentioned quickly and briefly, the use of this term, which many men associate with a one-sided critique and stereotype of an entire gender.

incredible that nobody at gillette or PG or the ad agency caught this - what a bunch of morons

fool

Hall of Fame
You shouldn't shave.
There's hair there for a reason.
Plus it's just a marketing thing anyway, do you know who convinced us that shaved was better? The Shaving companies, that's who. Think about how much energy and landfill space you would have saved if you never started shaving, all the razors, blades, shaving cream cans. All the water you used, the energy to heat the water. All for something very unnatural.

fool

Hall of Fame
But, no need to go full Sasquatch.
I use an electric trimmer to knock it all down every two weeks, around 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Face and head the same, I go a little longer on the chin.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
...because i want the company i support by buying its products to lecture me on morality? [emoji33]:

no

stupid move - it's gonna cost them, especially among the young men who are in the early stages of forming brand loyalty

what's next, budweiser lecturing beer drinkers on the immorality of objectifying the female body?

c2b17ce305144f0a98054e6bca29721f---s-vintage-ads.jpg
What sucks is that I occasionally pick up loads from their plant in Kansas City, KS, and deliver them to their warehouses in Edwardsville, IL.

I may have to start refusing their loads... :idunno:

ok doser

You shouldn't shave.
There's hair there for a reason.
Plus it's just a marketing thing anyway, do you know who convinced us that shaved was better? The Shaving companies, that's who. Think about how much energy and landfill space you would have saved if you never started shaving, all the razors, blades, shaving cream cans. All the water you used, the energy to heat the water. All for something very unnatural.

i like being clean shaven - i have enough places to scratch as it is :eek:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And what about women as they get older and bristles starting popping out on their faces? - Uuuuhh! Yes by all means shave when there gets to be too many of them.

john w

Hall of Fame
In this present "politically correct" day, this commercial would be banned faster than you can say "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame-seed bun:”

fool

Hall of Fame
i like being clean shaven - i have enough places to scratch as it is :eek:

You have been brainwashed by Big Razor.
Your face wont itch once the protective covering has been reestablished. The oils from the hair and skin work together to protect the face, just like the head.

fool

Hall of Fame
And what about women as they get older and bristles starting popping out on their faces? - Uuuuhh! Yes by all means shave when there gets to be too many of them.

Let your beard flag fly!
But seriously, I think plucking is the preferred method for that, I had an inch long corkscrew type hair erupt from my forehead overnight once. I didn't start shaving my forehead.