FBI subpoenas all IP addresses of people who accessed an online article

Gary K

Banned
Think about that for a minute. Your IP address can be a target of an FBI subpoena simply because an article caught your eye and you read it. That's what the FBI did to USA Today. It was a story on how there was a shootout in a child sexual abuse case in which both the suspect and 2 FBI agents died. And the FBI thinks that entitles them to the IP address of every person who read the article about it? That is a massive overreach on their part.

The FBI's agents and employees swear an oath to protect and uphold the Constitution. And this is how they act after swearing that oath. It's obvious that FBI agents, lawyers and leadership think the Constitution is meaningless. And this is hardly their first foray into working to destroy the rights the Constitution guarantees. They did this to Trump for years.

chair

The FBI backed down. The article below includes an explanation of why they issued the subpoena in the first place:

"The subpoena, issued as part of an investigation seeking to identify a child sexual exploitation offender, was withdrawn after investigators found the person through other means, according to a notice the Justice Department sent to USA TODAY's attorneys Saturday. "

Derf

The FBI backed down. The article below includes an explanation of why they issued the subpoena in the first place:

"The subpoena, issued as part of an investigation seeking to identify a child sexual exploitation offender, was withdrawn after investigators found the person through other means, according to a notice the Justice Department sent to USA TODAY's attorneys Saturday. "

Curiosity on my part, Chair, but do you agree with their request, or not?

chair

Curiosity on my part, Chair, but do you agree with their request, or not?
Interesting question. I think not. If this was a case of national security, like preventing another 9-11, maybe it would be justified.