Elohim's Name Is: "I AM That I AM"

TrevorL

Greetings beameup,

I appreciate the two videos, showing fairly clearly aspects concerning the Name of God. On the second he gave five alternatives for “ehyeh asher ehyeh”. He seemed to alternate with the suggestion that a translator needs to determine the best meaning in a particular context, but then also suggested that we should not fix on any one meaning, but accept all five. But at the end he decided to fix on the last in his list, “I am that which exists”.

I suggest that as far as context is concerned, and also bringing in the concept that he mentioned, that Hebrew imperfect is related to action, then his 2nd last alternative “I will be who I will be” seems to be more appropriate. God is revealing that He would be active in delivering Israel out of Egypt, and there are many Scriptures that associated the Name Yahweh with His deliverance of Israel out of Egypt.

The start of this association of God being with Moses, and thus enabling him to accomplish God’s mission is found in the context Exodus 3:12, where “ehyeh” is translated “I will be” with thee. This translation and association was given by Tyndale, and this future tense is also given in the RV and RSV margins.
Exodus 3:12 (KJV): And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
Exodus 3:12-14 (Tyndale): 12 And he sayde: I wilbe with the. And this shalbe a token vnto the that I haue sent the: after that thou hast broughte the people out of Egipte, ye shall serue God vppon this mountayne. 13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the childern of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath sent me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem? 14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

Kind regards
Trevor

beameup

Greetings beameup,

I appreciate the two videos, showing fairly clearly aspects concerning the Name of God. On the second he gave five alternatives for “ehyeh asher ehyeh”. He seemed to alternate with the suggestion that a translator needs to determine the best meaning in a particular context, but then also suggested that we should not fix on any one meaning, but accept all five. But at the end he decided to fix on the last in his list, “I am that which exists”.
Kind regards
Trevor

I believe that the point was that God told Moses to tell Pharaoh that his
God's name was both "I AM" and "I Will Be" (present & future).
As he said, there is no direct translation into a Greek type language from the Hebrew.

TrevorL

Greetings again beameup,
I believe that the point was that God told Moses to tell Pharaoh that his
God's name was both "I AM" and "I Will Be" (present & future).
As he said, there is no direct translation into a Greek type language from the Hebrew.
Moses enquired after God’s Name so that he could tell the children of Israel Exodus 3:13, not Pharaoh.

Out of the five alternatives I prefer the future tense indicating future activity as per Tyndale, RV and RSV margins and the translation of ehyeh in Exodus 3:12. This future tense and future activity was to be God acting to deliver Israel out of Egypt, so that Israel would become a people for His Name. They would be a living witness to the purpose of God, and a witness to the existence of God. The following passage emphasises this future work in delivering Israel, and this is strongly linked with the Name, Yahweh, showing that the Name is also future:
Exodus 6:1-8 (KJV): 1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land. 2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD: 3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH (or Yahweh) was I not known to them. 4 And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers. 5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant. 6 Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments: 7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.

When Israel was delivered out of Egypt the Name of God remains the same, but the particular activity has been accomplished:
Exodus 15:1-3 (KJV): 1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him. 3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
The future tense of God’s Name “He will be or become” has been accomplished, and Yahweh had become Israel’s salvation.

Kind regards
Trevor

beameup

Greetings again beameup, Moses enquired after God’s Name so that he could tell the children of Israel Exodus 3:13, not Pharaoh.

Kind regards
Trevor
Better check Exodus chapter 3 again.
The NAME given Moses was intended to send a very strong message to Pharaoh.

CherubRam

(I am) is an English word, there is no such word in Greek or Hebrew.

[FONT=&quot]Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?”
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “The Living that Lives. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.”
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

CherubRam

El is the Aramaic.
The word Eloah is the Hebrew singular or dual for Elohim (im = 3+)

Eloah is Aramaic for (God of above.) Elohiym is plural because of the (im) ending and because the word (life) or (living) is plural. It does not mean that God is a trinity. The title (elohiym) is also used for the people in heaven, and for those who will receive life immortal.

beameup

Eloah is Aramaic for (God of above.) Elohiym is plural because of the (im) ending and because the word (life) or (living) is plural. It does not mean that God is a trinity. The title (elohiym) is also used for the people in heaven, and for those who will receive life immortal.
The Aramaic is Elah, not the Hebrew Eloah.
The Aramaic is found only in Ezra and Daniel and means "awesome, fearful one"

The "im" suffix indeed indicates 3 or more. In this case, the 3 are 1.
We are not mistakenly using Greek logic to understand God, or Western languages.

And The Angel of the LORD appeared unto him [Moses] in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. - Exodus 3:2-4
We see the Angel of the YHWH in the bush
We see YHWH in the bush
God ['elohiym] calls Moses "out of the bush"

Last edited: