Eat my flesh and drink my blood?

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Clearly a parable, what does it mean?

John 6:48-60New International Version (NIV)

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

daqq

Is his flesh his deeds and his blood his teachings?

Testimony is Spirit, (John 6:63), and the blood of our covenant is likened to the "Spirit of Grace", (Heb 10:29). So, yes, I would agree that the teaching-Testimony of the Master is indeed his blood because he paid for that holy Testimony with his deeds, his life, and his blood, at Golgotha. Therefore the blood testifies because the Testimony is itself equivalent to the blood of our covenant. How therefore can one have the new covenant atonement covering, (both inside and out), without having and holding the Testimony of Messiah in uprightness and truth?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

John 6:55-56 KJV -

jsanford108

Eat flesh - have him in you
Drink blood - be in him

That actually doesn't make logical sense. I know I am going to be the one going against everyone else in this thread, but I would like to try to highlight the flaws inherent in this reasoning provided.

"Eat my flesh and drink my blood:" note the action and tense of the verbs. Eat and drink. How can this translate into two different states of being: be in Him/Him in you? There is a slight logical contradiction present.

As for this being a parable, I would disagree. If it is a simple misunderstanding, why did Christ not clarify that when the multitude was leaving? That doesn't seem very shepherd-like. Notice also Christ repeats the same phrase, never altering it, several times. The people pondered "how can He do this," with the obvious notion that Christ was talking about a literal consuming of His Flesh and Blood. Christ never corrects them. Despite correcting all misunderstandings that came before this point, as well as after.

Also, examine this passage in whole with the Gospel of John. In every event where Christ was speaking in a parable or metaphor, John provided clarity and denoted the parable or metaphor. Why would John abstain from doing so here? This would be the only instance of such an occurrence. Furthermore, why would John not clarify this teaching, especially given that a multitude misunderstood it's? The only logical and reasonable conclusion is that this event and statement was not a parable or metaphor.

So where could the passage allude? The Last Supper. The only other time Christ says His Body and Blood are food and drink. Note also in John 6, Christ said "My Flesh is real food, and my Blood is real drink." Also note that John did not clarify or denote the Last Supper as a parable. The only clarification given at the Last Supper was that Christ was foretelling His death.

Such a conclusion points to the Last Supper being a literal partaking of Christ's Body and Blood. Becoming one with the sacrifice and Christ, Himself.

God's Truth

That actually doesn't make logical sense. I know I am going to be the one going against everyone else in this thread, but I would like to try to highlight the flaws inherent in this reasoning provided.

"Eat my flesh and drink my blood:" note the action and tense of the verbs. Eat and drink. How can this translate into two different states of being: be in Him/Him in you? There is a slight logical contradiction present.

As for this being a parable, I would disagree. If it is a simple misunderstanding, why did Christ not clarify that when the multitude was leaving? That doesn't seem very shepherd-like. Notice also Christ repeats the same phrase, never altering it, several times. The people pondered "how can He do this," with the obvious notion that Christ was talking about a literal consuming of His Flesh and Blood. Christ never corrects them. Despite correcting all misunderstandings that came before this point, as well as after.

Also, examine this passage in whole with the Gospel of John. In every event where Christ was speaking in a parable or metaphor, John provided clarity and denoted the parable or metaphor. Why would John abstain from doing so here? This would be the only instance of such an occurrence. Furthermore, why would John not clarify this teaching, especially given that a multitude misunderstood it's? The only logical and reasonable conclusion is that this event and statement was not a parable or metaphor.

So where could the passage allude? The Last Supper. The only other time Christ says His Body and Blood are food and drink. Note also in John 6, Christ said "My Flesh is real food, and my Blood is real drink." Also note that John did not clarify or denote the Last Supper as a parable. The only clarification given at the Last Supper was that Christ was foretelling His death.

Such a conclusion points to the Last Supper being a literal partaking of Christ's Body and Blood. Becoming one with the sacrifice and Christ, Himself.

I have explained this to you before, but I do not think you considered it carefully enough.

Catholics believe that the Lord’s Supper is a sacrifice, a sacrifice every Mass where the priest turns the wafers into Jesus’ body. Catholics believe they are experiencing a miracle when the priest does this. No wonder Catholic teachings are that missing a Mass is sin. However, read what the word of God says. The word of God tells us that Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb. In the Old Testament day after day every priest performs his religious duties again and again, offering the same sacrifices. However, when Jesus offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, see Hebrews 10:12. Did you hear that? Jesus offered for ALL time ONE SACRIFICE for sins. Jesus is not in a wafer, he is at the right hand of the Father.

By one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy, see Hebrews 10:14. By “one sacrifice,” not a daily or weekly sacrifice of turning the wafers into the body of Christ, over and over again, by many priests all over the world.

We are to eat Jesus every day, and we eat Jesus every day by obeying every day.

Jamie Gigliotti

"And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you." Luke 22:19-20

In my experience, with my heart turned to Jesus; partaking of communion is intimate, personal, spiritual and edifying.

daqq

Testimony is Spirit, (John 6:63), and the blood of our covenant is likened to the "Spirit of Grace", (Heb 10:29). So, yes, I would agree that the teaching-Testimony of the Master is indeed his blood because he paid for that holy Testimony with his deeds, his life, and his blood, at Golgotha. Therefore the blood testifies because the Testimony is itself equivalent to the blood of our covenant. How therefore can one have the new covenant atonement covering, (both inside and out), without having and holding the Testimony of Messiah in uprightness and truth?

And we are all made to drink into that one Spirit, (1Cor 12:13), which is the Testimony of Messiah found in the Gospel accounts, as he says, "The words that I speak to you are Spirit, and they are Life", (John 6:63).

marhig

Hello :)

His blood is the life within, and his flesh is that life lived out. So when we eat his flesh and drink his blood, we are taking all of him in, and then we live it out and follow his example. When he poured out his blood, he poured out his life. Preaching the word of God and living by the word himself in his flesh.

It says in the Bible that Jesus came by water and by blood, this is by the word of God (water), and living it out (blood, the poured out life)

Naturally, our blood keeps us alive, and delivers the oxygen to all the members of the body, spiritually, through the blood of Christ, we receive the holy spirit, which is our spiritual breath of life, and he keeps all the members of the body of Christ alive in God.

If we eat his flesh and drink his blood, we take in all his life and then we are to live it out, then through faith and by the grace of God, we become a part of the body of Christ and he is then in us and we are in him. So through the Spirit, his life is in us. And we will live by the will he God as Jesus did and Christ by the Spirit will help and strengthen us to overcome.

Last edited:

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Hello :)

His blood is the life within, and his flesh is that life lived out. So when we eat his flesh and drink his blood, we are taking all of him in, and then we live it out and follow his example. When he poured out his blood, he poured out his life. Preaching the word of God and living by the word himself in his flesh.

It says in the Bible that Jesus came by water and by blood, this is by the word of God (water), and living it out (blood, the poured out life)

Naturally, our blood keeps us alive, and delivers the oxygen to all the members of the body, spiritually, through the blood of Christ, we receive the holy spirit, which is our spiritual breath of life, and he keeps all the members of the body of Christ alive in God.

If we eat his flesh and drink his blood, we take in all his life and then we are to live it out, then through faith and by the grace of God, we become a part of the body of Christ and he is then in us and we are in him. So through the Spirit, his life is in us. And we will live by the will he God as Jesus did and Christ by the Spirit will help and strengthen us to overcome.

I like it simply put:

John 6
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

King James Version (KJV)

This hit me like Truth does

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Spiritual nourishment and communion..............

Spiritual nourishment and communion..............

Eat flesh - have him in you
Drink blood - be in him

Yes, it is wholly symbolic language, speaking of an assimilation of spirit-life and substance (a merging and synergy of soul and spirit), the nourishing life-force of the Christ. There must be an actual communion of the soul with Spirit.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Yes, it is wholly symbolic language, speaking of an assimilation of spirit-life and substance (a merging and synergy of soul and spirit), the nourishing life-force of the Christ. There must be an actual communion of the soul with Spirit.

When you say Spirit you are referring to something that comes from God, right?