Do you want to improve the lives of poor people?

ClimateSanity

......or just merely punish the rich?

From the website International Liberty

The Left’s Inequality Fixation: Factually Wrong (but Personally Profitable)

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.c...on-factually-wrong-but-personally-profitable/

A good point from the article:

…nothing helps the poor and middle class like economic growth, and that is best pursued by policy reforms that ignore inequality. To promote growth, the next president should abolish corporate taxes and reform individual taxes… She should promote state and local reform of occupational licensing and land-use regulation. She should reform entitlements, including Obamacare, and reorient immigration policy in favor of admitting more higher-skilled and less lower-skilled immigrants. She should pursue a deregulatory agenda… Unfortunately, the distraction of inequality — or nationalism — makes it unlikely the next president will pursue any of these policies, and the poor and middle class will be worse off for it.

eider

......or just merely punish the rich?

From the website International Liberty

The Left’s Inequality Fixation: Factually Wrong (but Personally Profitable)

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.c...on-factually-wrong-but-personally-profitable/

A good point from the article:

…nothing helps the poor and middle class like economic growth, and that is best pursued by policy reforms that ignore inequality. To promote growth, the next president should abolish corporate taxes and reform individual taxes… She should promote state and local reform of occupational licensing and land-use regulation. She should reform entitlements, including Obamacare, and reorient immigration policy in favor of admitting more higher-skilled and less lower-skilled immigrants. She should pursue a deregulatory agenda… Unfortunately, the distraction of inequality — or nationalism — makes it unlikely the next president will pursue any of these policies, and the poor and middle class will be worse off for it.

Hi.....
All the above overlooks or ignores the reasons for most of poverty in Western Wealthy Lands.
Even the article is suggesting raising 'high-skilled' folks whiilst keeping out 'lower-skilled' folks.
The whole article is a mess of nonsense. Reducing Taxation etc etc....

In this high-tec, IT, Robot-ready, auto-serve, self-serve world millions of blue and white collar jobs are being lost or scrapped, but basic labouring, cleaning, collecting, van-delivery type jobs are increasing rapidly. Where I live the Eastern European fruit-pickers (Romanians, Latvians,etc) are not here this year and farmers cannot find enough residents to carry out this basic but vital work.

Because of massive redundancies across the Western World there should be a National Living Wage for everybody, and since 1% of the people posses 90% of the wealth I'm afraid they need to lose some of it for the National good.

Unreasonably poor people in a country with a few unreasonably wealthy people is exactly the scenario which Jesus of Nazareth found in early first century (what would become) Palestine. A tiny % of fat, greedy, wealthy, quisling, hypocritical Priests who had ignored and dismissed the poor-laws.. with their Levite guardians..... and a huge huge % of the poor peasantry.

It was a Christian mission back then, and its a Christian mission now........ PROTECT THE POOR!

exminister

Jesus blesses the poor and condemns the rich in the Bible :doh:
This is why, even though I am fundamentally conservative, have a big issue with conservatives :plain:

The love of money is the root of all evil.

What if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul?

ClimateSanity

Hi.....
All the above overlooks or ignores the reasons for most of poverty in Western Wealthy Lands.
Even the article is suggesting raising 'high-skilled' folks whiilst keeping out 'lower-skilled' folks.
The whole article is a mess of nonsense. Reducing Taxation etc etc....

In this high-tec, IT, Robot-ready, auto-serve, self-serve world millions of blue and white collar jobs are being lost or scrapped, but basic labouring, cleaning, collecting, van-delivery type jobs are increasing rapidly. Where I live the Eastern European fruit-pickers (Romanians, Latvians,etc) are not here this year and farmers cannot find enough residents to carry out this basic but vital work.

Because of massive redundancies across the Western World there should be a National Living Wage for everybody, and since 1% of the people posses 90% of the wealth I'm afraid they need to lose some of it for the National good.

Unreasonably poor people in a country with a few unreasonably wealthy people is exactly the scenario which Jesus of Nazareth found in early first century (what would become) Palestine. A tiny % of fat, greedy, wealthy, quisling, hypocritical Priests who had ignored and dismissed the poor-laws.. with their Levite guardians..... and a huge huge % of the poor peasantry.

It was a Christian mission back then, and its a Christian mission now........ PROTECT THE POOR!
You think a national living wage will help the poor? Who will help people when prices are raised to compensate for the cost of labor that exceeds market conditions?

ClimateSanity

Im not rich at all. I do not despise the rich who got that way via risk and hard work and without government subsidies or as the result of being buddies with someone in government.

ClimateSanity

Am I supposed to express concern for a 1st World, middle class person over a man in the gutter begging for money and drinking himself to sleep every night?

Pfft

Jesus condemns the wealthy for an obvious, self evident reason_
I didn't ask you to express concern for a middle class person. I asked you why you despised poor people. How do you suppose you will help the man sleeping in the gutter?

ClimateSanity

Am I supposed to express concern for a 1st World, middle class person over a man in the gutter begging for money and drinking himself to sleep every night?

Pfft

Jesus condemns the wealthy for an obvious, self evident reason_
Jesus doesn't condemn wealthy people over their wealth.

ClimateSanity

Is that even an option?
The poor will always be with us, no?

The texts refer to greed over human compassion. I believe it was the inspiration for Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol and It's A Wonderful Life.

The poor as a class of people will always be there but Jesus never said once you are poor, you should remain there. Again, I ask, do you want people who are poor to remain poor?

ClimateSanity

Agreed.

Unfortunately not enough of them are not that way. Our current president is not one of them.
I should have refined my position a bit more. The rich may be that way because of subsidies and cronyism but how many of them want it to continue that way? Taking advantage of the system is not evil which Trump did but he is trying to implement a system where he would not be rich today by the means he achieved it in the past.

glassjester

Also, people aren't wealthy because they 'work hard'. Besides a small minority, they are otherwise wealthy because they were either brought up in wealth or otherwise had great opportunities presented to them.

What would you do to prevent that? Tell people their wealth can't be used to benefit their children? Tell people they can't give opportunities to their friends and family?

And 95% of them go on to despise the poor or flaunt some ridiculous sentiment you just presented- they all live in a bubble, and so do you :wave:

And while they're busy despising the poor - what shall we do about this:
How do you suppose you will help the man sleeping in the gutter?