Democratic, GOP lawmakers: Memo doesn’t clear Trump in probe

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The "revised" Nunes memo, and further revelations about Russian involvement with Trump staffers has started to erode republican support for Trump.

Rep. Chris Stewart, R-Utah, said the memo doesn’t end the need for the Mueller investigation.

“I think it would be a mistake for anyone to suggest that the special counsel shouldn’t complete his work. I support his work. I want him to finish it. I hope he finishes it as quickly as possible. This memo has frankly nothing at all to do with the special counsel,” said Stewart, a member of the House Intelligence Committee.

Denying a political motive, Republican committee members defended the release of the GOP memo as appropriate. Saying it did not vindicate Trump, as the president asserted Saturday, they signaled the possible release of Democrats’ dissenting memo in the coming weeks and said the GOP memo would have no impact on Mueller’s ongoing probe.

Rep. Will Hurd, R-Texas, said he had opposed the release of Democrats’ memo last week on national security grounds but fully expected a fresh vote on the matter after Democrats make revisions.

“The information wasn’t ready to go, and so we decided to release ours,” he said. “People can criticize that – that decision, but I think providing oversight and shining a light on these issues is important.”

https://wtop.com/government/2018/02/trump-cites-memo-as-evidence-hes-in-the-clear/