Delmar's POD 6-5-07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My happy place . . . .

Grandpa's long ago and far away, now forgotten tulip farm at Smokey Point in Snohomish County, Washington. Where you would hear then see the twice a day passenger/freight train, a Union Pacific steam locomotive. Grandpa might be plowing, or sitting outside by the barn, whittling or pondering, most of the time both. Mom and Grandma will be busy in the kitchen, my brother will be off to school. Dad would be not far away on the new highway "99" project doing his construction engineer thing.

Then all of a sudden I hear Grandpa call out, "Tommy, lets you and I go over to Arlington, for some Cokes and Hersey chocolate bars at the Rexall Drug Store soda fountain." And before you knew it we were on our way to the Rexall Drug Store in Grandpa's '39 Buick Roadmaster. When we would get back home, I would sit on the hood of the the old Fordson tractor while Grandpa finished up the plowing.

I was five at the time.

They say you cannot go back, "They" are right, after Grandpa died in '49, his 640 acre tulip farm was sold, and part and parceled out for an addition to the small airport next to the tulip farm, a new small four block size cemetery, and for some new housing, as Dad would say, a new housing development made up of cracker box houses; it was the start of the pre-fabs.

My babbling brook with trees "Happy Place" would somewhere off the road along by Clear Creek, Coal Creek, or Boulder Creek Canyon's, picnicing on a cool partly cloudy mid-autumn day with Mrs Psamlist. :straight:

So my "Happy Place" now is, where I can drink coffee, read, take the occassional nap, TOL, or go to the nursing home. And too that Mrs Psalmist are able to take care of each other. :cloud9:

- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1433145&postcount=55

:first:
Great post Psalmist! When I was reading it it wanted to ride along to the drug store in the 39 Roadmaster!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1433145&postcount=55

:first:

Great post Psalmist! When I was reading it it wanted to ride along to the drug store in the 39 Roadmaster!

Thanks for the POD and the kind compliment.

Grandpa's black '39 Buick Roadmaster, was a formal four-door sedan. Formal, equipped with jump seats that folded out of the back of the front seat. It also had the dual spare tire mounts. What a ride, hearing famous Buick whine . . . what a ride.

Grandpa had a second '39 Buick, is was a steel gray Special, his everyday car. It wasn't as impressive as his Roadmaster, that did not matter, it was Grandpa's, and it was a Buick.

- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You pretty much, forced me to google images of the 39 Buick Roadmaster. Niiiiice!

Status
Not open for further replies.