Crow's Pick 4/28/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

:bannana:POTD granite 1010:first:

granite1010 said:
PureX said:
The "market" is just a brainless process. I don't see why we'd rather let a brainless process make decisions about our rights and freedoms than let judges bound to the Constitution and Bill of Rights do so. Do you?
What is it about conservatives that they so revere the "free market" as if it were some sort of sacred enterprise? I had someone on another thread trying to tell me that without government interference, the "market" would not allow monopolies to exists. This is patently absurd. In the early days of the 20th century we had to enact very tough laws to break up the monopolies that formed in our ungoverned marketplace. They almost destroyed the nation and they're threatening to do so again. This idea that the sacred "free market" is somehow naturally fair and just is ridiculous. Ungoverned, the marketplace will very likely become so unballanced and unfair that people will die, and revolutions will result. There's nothing about a "free market" that supports the freedom of people within that market. In fact, it's usually just the opposite.
Those same rights and freedoms give proprieters the right to serve what and who they please. And I am not a conservative; if anything I'm a libertarian, which means I resent the idea that a manager can actually be threatened with suit if he or she decides to decline service to a particular patron. Let people choose where they eat and if you're running a restaurant, choose who to serve. This ain't too tough for me to handle. Owners can do as they please. They step on too many toes, they'll sink. They provide a good product and weed out undesirable customers, they'll do well.

CONTEXT:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.