Chicago gang members say more police won't stop the murders

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Chicago gang members say more police won't stop the murders

Rashad Britt grew up in the Henry Horner projects on Chicago’s West Side, known for gangs and violence. He started hanging out with the members of the Vice Lords gang for safety. “Just for protection…my friends-we gotta get to school. So, we got each other’s back on the way to school,” he says. “And sometimes, that meant carrying a gun and [being] willing to use it.”

His first gun was a gift, given to him as a pre-teen. “I looked at it like that was love. I looked at it like this person loved me, for the simple fact that they wanted to see me protected. They gave me something that was going to protect my life,” he says.

Last Monday, I met with a group of street guys on the West Side. They say the gangs provided structure that their parents did not. “Half of these guys don’t got no mom, either they was crack heads, dope fiends, boosters or something,” says a man who would only identify himself as a member of the Black Disciples. “They moms or fathers was lost to the same gang that we getting ourselves into now.”

“We more like a family than a gang… brothers,” says Kevin Gentry – associated with the Vice Lords. In the gang, someone was kind to them. Their role models sold drugs, had money, clothes cars and girlfriends. “The gangs have become family for a lot of young men here in Chicago and across the United States. They gravitate toward the guys with charisma. They gravitate toward the guys that might protect them. But they really are not protected out there. Too many people are being killed, it’s a false sense of security,” says Tio Hardiman from Violence Interrupters, a group that attempts to predict and prevent gangland shootings.

As of the 15th of February, Chicago racked up 326 shootings and 72 murders. That puts the city on the same pace as 2016, which saw the highest murder rate in decades.

On Saturday, 12-year-old Kanari Gentry-Bowers was on a playground in the violent West Englewood neighborhood when she was struck by a stray bullet. About 4 miles away, 11-year-old Takiya Holmes was hit by a stray bullet while seated in the back of a car. Both of their young lives ended.

On Valentine’s Day, a pregnant woman – who is unidentified – began streaming video with her phone on Facebook Live. Her boyfriend, Lazarek Collins, was in the passenger seat and his 2-year-old nephew Lavontay White was in the back.

Collins was a documented gang member. It is believed the bullets were meant for him. However, when Collins was killed, so was little Lavontay. The pregnant woman was shot in the stomach, but survived. Even for Chicago, a city partially numb to the violence, the senseless slaying of a 2-year-old caught on video was horrific.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson again called for tougher gun laws. “Enough is enough,” he said.

Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner proposed sending state troopers to Chicago. Without being specific, President Donald Trump suggested sending in the feds.

Tracy Cannon – once associated with the Vice Lords – says it won’t matter. “I don’t care how many police they bring in. It’s not going to stop, man.”

Guys on the street say law enforcement made a bad situation worse. “They locked up these gang chiefs and everything went haywire,” says Charles Winters. Large organizations like the Gangster Disciples and Vice Lords subdivided over unresolved disputes. Absent leadership, cliques within the same gang will often do battle. “Ain’t like it used to be,” says Cannon. “Back then we had structure. Older guys would make us go to school. Even though we was gang banging, we would still go to school.”

Now, it’s a bullet-ridden free for all, with gangsters trying to gain respect by proving themselves to be ruthless. “Kids only care about nice clothes, fast money and how many kills they can get,” says Britt. “When they get a certain amount of kills or when they hurt a certain amount of people, they feared. They got the fear factor going on. The kids nowadays in Chicago, that’s what they want.”

The guy from the Black Disciples says the gang is all he’s even been able to rely on and he’ll never leave gangster life. “If I live by this gun and I live by these drugs, this product that I’m selling, and I’m pushing in this neighborhood. It’s putting food on my table and food in my kids’ mouths and a roof over they heads, then I’m not going to put it down,” he says.

Others say the violent gang life is for kids. If they live into their 20s and stay out of prison some walk away and get jobs. “You just get played out man,” says Cannon. “If you ain’t rich by now, you ain’t gonna get rich selling drugs.”

Why don't black lives matter to blacks? Black on black crime is the highest.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Chicago's 2017 Murders: Weekend Marks 100 Victims In Just Over 50 Days
The homicide total is nearly on track with 2016, Chicago's bloodiest year in nearly 2 decades. Plus, a look at other 2017 crime stats.

CHICAGO, IL — A South Side shooting early Saturday that left two men dead pushed Chicago's 2017 murder total past 100 victims, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The 100th and 101st murder victims of the year happened during a shooting just before 1 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at a party in the Woodlawn neighborhood, the report stated. Two shooters wearing hoodies fired into a crowd in the 6500 block of South Drexel Avenue, the report added.

A 38-year-old man — identified by the Chicago Tribune as Samuel Head — was fatally shot in the chest, and a 20-year-old man was fatally hit in the face and chest. Head's 29-year-old girlfriend was grazed in the thigh and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition.

With Saturday's shooting, this year's murder numbers closely match the homicide total for the first two months of 2016, a year that saw more than 750 slayings in Chicago, according to the Tribune. (The Chicago Police Department and the Tribune don't agree on last year's murder total; CPD puts it at 762, but the newspaper reports at least 781 murders, which include expressway killings, police-involved shootings, homicides when a victim was killed in self-defense and death investigations, all areas that CPD does not tally in its total.)

In fact, 2016 was Chicago's bloodiest year in nearly two decades, and it well surpassed the 2015 homicide total of 480. Last year also saw 3,550 shooting incidents and 4,331 shooting victims, according to police.

With only two months in the books, here's how the violence in Chicago is adding up in 2017, according to statistics from the Sun-Times:

96: Murder victims in 2017 killed by gunfire. That includes two shootings involving Chicago police officers.

4: Victims stabbed to death this year.

400: Minimum number of people wounded in Chicago shootings this year.

7: People killed in shootings Wednesday, Feb. 22, the most in Chicago in a single day this year. Those killings sparked another in a litany of tweets from President Donald Trump that have bemoaned the city's crime and gun violence:

Seven people shot and killed yesterday in Chicago. What is going on there - totally out of control. Chicago needs help!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2017

3: Fatal gunshot victims younger than 13 killed in as many days earlier this month. Kanari Gentry-Bowers, 12, and Takiya Holmes, 11, were shot and killed within a half hour of one another Feb. 11. On Valentine's Day, Lavontay White Jr., 2, and his 26-year-old uncle were killed while they sat in a car. The shooting was streamed on Facebook Live by the uncle's pregnant girlfriend, who was shot and wounded. The woman, who was four months pregnant, lost her unborn child days later.

9: Murder victims this year younger than 18.

2 months: Age of Chicago's youngest 2017 murder victim. Aliya Acosta was stabbed to death Feb. 9 in Humboldt park as a result of child abuse.

82: Murders in 2017 on the South, West and Southwest sides. The Chicago neighborhood with the most homicide victims is Austin with 12.

84: Murder victims this year who were people of color. Of those, 77 were men.

Even before taking office in January, Trump had targeted Chicago and the inability of city leaders to curb the continuing epidemic of crime and gun violence. While campaigning for president last year, he suggested Chicago police implement a stop-and-frisk policy, a controversial law enforcement tactic that allows officers to stop individuals without probable cause — just reasonable suspicion — and question and pat them down.

The criticism that received the most notoriety came days after his inauguration when Trump tweeted that he would "send in the Feds" if civic leaders didn't turn things around. Although the president didn't specify what his message meant — increased cooperation from federal law enforcement agencies, calling up the National Guard — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson welcomed Trump's offer if it meant more federal money, especially if it was directed to non-law enforcement areas that would help fund mentoring programs or additional inner city jobs.

So far, the president hasn't followed through with his ultimatum, and Trump's impotency in that matter has been a source of frustration for Johnson. That irritation boiled over Friday during a press conference discussing overnight police raids that led to 81 arrests on weapon and drug charges. Chicago's top cop gave an empassioned defense of the Chicago Police Department and leveled his own criticism about the lack of federal help:

"Listen, we haven't been sitting around for months and years just waiting on someone to help us. We work every day as hard as we can to reduce the gun violence in this city. … [E]veryone is not just sitting on their hands waiting for somebody to come help us.

"Now what I want to say is this: We have said what we need from the federal government, and we embrace that. We will take more federal agents, more funding for mentorship programs, educational opportunities, housing programs. … We need all of those things. This violence problem isn't a one-point fix. It's a multi-layered onion that we have to just keep peeling back until we get to the root of it.

"But at some point you have to stop talking, and you have to to do action. And that's what we're doing. So we're not waiting. We will embrace the help when we get it. The crime in Chicago won't wait for anhyone else to come and help us, so we're doing what we can now to try and resolve this issue."

Johnson cited the amount of gun arrests in 2017 so far as an example of the work his department is doing to reduce gun violence in Chicago.

"We are almost double in gun arrests than we were the same time last year. That's a ridiculous number," he said. "That kills the notion that the police department is sitting on its heels not being proactive, not doing anything about it. We actually are doing something about it."

While admitting that CPD can do better, Johnson also lashed out at state lawmakers for a lack of gun legislation that would create harsher penalties to keep repeat offenders behind bars and off the streets.

"Right now, when I go into homes on the South and West sides of Chicago, those mothers aren't asking me about long-term solutions. They want to know, 'How come that guy killed my son and is still out there? And you all know who it is'," he said.

"That's why we call these guys repeat gun offenders. They're not new to us. … But the simple fact is we need the judicial system and our legislators to help us with this."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
meanwhile...

Barack-Obama-is-chillin-with-a-coconut-on-vacation.jpg