Checking This Place Out

Eddie L

Hello,

Many years ago (I can't believe how many, really), I was a long-time moderator of another theology forum in which I posted frequently. It was helpful in that it gave me a reason to figure out what others believed and to really work through what I believed myself. And, as moderator, I had to stay nice. :cool:

Life happened, though, and suddenly theology had to operate at a working level for me. Scriptures and ideas that I had repeated over and over suddenly needed to be learned by my heart. While we can certainly debate the truth via words so that our minds can understand them, our hearts needs experiences. That's probably why God created time in the first place. So, I completely departed from the theology debating scene.

So 10 or so years later, on a whim, I followed a google search here to see what has changed in the debates over the last decade. It looks about the same, I suppose, which is a shame, in a way. So many of us spend so much time arguing the basics that we don't get to reap the benefits of the profound depths of the gospel, which is the power of God to us who believe.

So I may hang around just a bit and see how this place works. I apologize in advance for any long posts. Just skip what you don't want to read. :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
welcome2.gif

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So I may hang around just a bit and see how this place works. I apologize in advance for any long posts. Just skip what you don't want to read. :)
Run as far away as you can while you still have a chance!!! :mario:

Just kiddin', welcome to our website.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL. You might find this website addicting...

About your user account: For the first two weeks you won't have the ability to PM or post on people's profiles. That is a feature to discourage spammers. After two weeks and 50 posts, you be able to upload your own avatar, PM people and post to their profile page.

Now if you become a subscriber--you immediately get all kinds of benefits. Read this thread----> here. Options are explained there.

bybee

Hello,

Many years ago (I can't believe how many, really), I was a long-time moderator of another theology forum in which I posted frequently. It was helpful in that it gave me a reason to figure out what others believed and to really work through what I believed myself. And, as moderator, I had to stay nice. :cool:

Life happened, though, and suddenly theology had to operate at a working level for me. Scriptures and ideas that I had repeated over and over suddenly needed to be learned by my heart. While we can certainly debate the truth via words so that our minds can understand them, our hearts needs experiences. That's probably why God created time in the first place. So, I completely departed from the theology debating scene.

So 10 or so years later, on a whim, I followed a google search here to see what has changed in the debates over the last decade. It looks about the same, I suppose, which is a shame, in a way. So many of us spend so much time arguing the basics that we don't get to reap the benefits of the profound depths of the gospel, which is the power of God to us who believe.

Well Eddie, you will find here people who love God but don't like the rest of us. You will find people here who love all of us. Find a place and fit in!

Eddie L

Whew....

Well, after a few days I'm scratching my head a bit. This forum is a little wider-spread and a little more hostile than the one I participated in 10 years or so ago. A lot of the threads seem like a time trap with no purpose. :/

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Whew....

Well, after a few days I'm scratching my head a bit. This forum is a little wider-spread and a little more hostile than the one I participated in 10 years or so ago. A lot of the threads seem like a time trap with no purpose. :/

It's a big place.
Just focus on a subject that interests you and ignore the rest. It takes gettin' used to.
There's some nice folks here, and others have some hard bark on 'em.

:)

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Whew....

It comes and goes in waves. Currently we have an influx on anti-trinity spammers. That is being dealt with... as Knight sees fit. :D Hope you stick around to share and learn. Welcome to the jungle.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Whew....

Ten years is a long time, internet wise.

We have a conservative theological base, yet TOL is far more open, in more ways than one, to theological diversity, as long as one stays in civil bounds, which are congruent with Christian values. The forum is diverse, yet well organized, thanks to Knight. If you cannot get along with him, then this is not where you belong.

He calls it "The Big Show" and it is like a "block party". You will find some who ignore others because, well, they are impossible goofballs, yet are like our court jesters.

BTW: If you do not get along with me, you are probably wacky..... :kookoo:

I think, if you give it a chance, you will know if this is a good place for you, providing you are a little bit right wing, a little bit OV, MAD, OSAS, or not, in some cases, we have all kinds; therefore, we are also a little bit tolerant! really ..................:jawdrop:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello,

Great. Just what we needed. More ADMIN! :doh:

:D

Welcome to TOL. :up: