ECT Cause of Unbelief

nikolai_42

What is the cause of unbelief? Is it something we are born with or that we learn? I ask specifically of unbelief with the understanding that all that is not of faith is sin and belief on Christ is necessary for salvation and Godliness.

If you don't think we are born as unbelieving, then does a child have to fall after being born to be saved (I know that's a little unfair, but please address that general issue)?

If you do think we are born as unbelieving, how does that comport with a child's natural trusting nature?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What is the cause of unbelief? Is it something we are born with or that we learn? I ask specifically of unbelief with the understanding that all that is not of faith is sin and belief on Christ is necessary for salvation and Godliness.

If you don't think we are born as unbelieving, then does a child have to fall after being born to be saved (I know that's a little unfair, but please address that general issue)?

If you do think we are born as unbelieving, how does that comport with a child's natural trusting nature?
I think we are born ready to believe, once we are told and taught

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think some causes for unbelief are the harsh random life on earth, no mercy and plenty of pain, death, and suffering. The unbelievers are angry that they aren't special

nikolai_42

I think some causes for unbelief are the harsh random life on earth, no mercy and plenty of pain, death, and suffering. The unbelievers are angry that they aren't special

Then shouldn't the message "God loves you" change all that? All those things you mention are also the fruit of unbelief. I would argue scripture says that is more what they are than the cause of unbelief. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good...

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Which is....?

Paul answers the question, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

nikolai_42

Paul answers the question, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

That doesn't identify the cause of unbelief - unless, perhaps, you are saying that we are born into it and only believe when caused to do so by the Holy Spirit. I'm not sure what you are saying.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That doesn't identify the cause of unbelief - unless, perhaps, you are saying that we are born into it and only believe when caused to do so by the Holy Spirit. I'm not sure what you are saying.

You got it. We don't choose Christ, the Father chooses us.

nikolai_42

You got it. We don't choose Christ, the Father chooses us.

So while that partially answers it, it's really a positive answer to a negative question. It identifies us with our unbelief until chosen by the Father and then indicates that our belief is of God (correct me if I'm misrepresenting your understanding) BUT ... you still haven't said what causes unbelief? Would you say Adam is the cause of our unbelief and not us? That it is (in a spiritual sense) genetic?

glorydaz

It seems to me that Romans 1:19-21 makes it clear we all know God. So, it isn't a question of believing exactly, but of turning away or trusting. Unbelief is a refusal to acknowledge and trust in our Lord and God.

nikolai_42

It seems to me that Romans 1:19-21 makes it clear we all know God. So, it isn't a question of believing exactly, but of turning away or trusting. Unbelief is a refusal to acknowledge and trust in our Lord and God.

So we are all unbelievers in that sense? Even the newborn baby?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The unbelievers of the Bible are those who hear and see, but who reject the truth of it.

Children learn unbelief from the worldly minded folk, but the evidence of the material world itself is that there is a creator.

Nevertheless there are stages of unbelief leading to hell.

LA