cattyfan's SPOTD 8-4-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cattyfan

PureX said:
I think it means that when someone repents, tell them they are forgiven. I they do not repent, don't tell them they are forgiven, but forgive them anyway, so that you will be free from resentment, and so that you will hopefully be forgiven in turn, whether you recognize that you have done harm to others and repent of it or not.

We should realize that many times when we do harm to others, we do so without realizing it, and maybe without even meaning to do it. And the same is true of when others cause us harm. Very few people intend to hurt other people. yet we hurt each other all the time. This is WHY we need forgiveness all around.

:BRAVO: nicely said

context

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
First time in ages that I've actually agreed with PureX on something.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Purex said:
I think it means that when someone repents, tell them they are forgiven. I they do not repent, don't tell them they are forgiven, but forgive them anyway,
:nono: Contrast this with the words of Christ:
[jesus]"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."[/jesus] Matthew 18:15-17​

We should realize that many times when we do harm to others, we do so without realizing it, and maybe without even meaning to do it.
That is one of the reasons why Christ said to rebuke whoever sins against you (and to forgive them if they repent). That is one of the reasons why rebuke is loving:

"You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him." Leviticus 19:17​

Rimi

If someone doesn't ask God's forgiveness, they ain't gettin' it either. You in very good company.

Status
Not open for further replies.