Can God Make a Rock So Big that He Can't Lift It?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

This is the show from Thursday June 13th, 2013

SUMMARY:

Do you have any questions about the Bible passage below?

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints-- and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. But that you also may know my affairs [and] how I am doing, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will make all things known to you; whom I have sent to you for this very purpose, that you may know our affairs, and [that] he may comfort your hearts. Peace to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace [be] with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen. (Ephesians 6:14-24)

Listen to Bob’s verse by verse commentary on Ephesians 6:14-24 to get unique insights into God’s Word.

Christian Liberty

I thought you were Bob Enyart? Why are you referring to him in the third person?

Of course God "can't" do something that's logically impossible. Its like saying God can't make a square circle. A square circle can't exist, unless you redefine the meaning of "Square" or "Circle" so that he can, but then the contradiction doesn't exist anymore.

Doesn't Bob Enyart deny that God can see the future? If you believe that it shouldn't be a problem to say that God can't make a rock he can't lift. Of course, if God can't see the future, the concept of prophecy no longer makes sense.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
...I wrote about this on here recently?

:think:

I'm glad you covered it anyway, I'll have a listen.

Christian Liberty

Of course He can.

The only thing impossible for God is doing nothing.

Luke 1:37
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.​

But then God could lift the rock that he made that he can't lift. Otherwise that would also be an error in this ultra-literal interpretation...

My answer remains no, unless you change the definitions of the words. Much like God "can't" create a square circle. We use the word "Square" and "Circle" to describe two contradictory concepts.

Christian Liberty

of course

and then can He lift it?

of course :idunno:

But that doesn't make any sense, at all. And not in the "It doesn't fit with my worldview" sort of "Not making sense" but in the "You're contradicting yourself" sort of "Not making sense."

God can do anything that is possible.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
you see a contradiction in my proposition?

then consider that you are confining God to sequential events "first this, then this"

Do you believe that God is confined to our constraints of time/space?

Brother Vinny

But that doesn't make any sense, at all. And not in the "It doesn't fit with my worldview" sort of "Not making sense" but in the "You're contradicting yourself" sort of "Not making sense."

God can do anything that is possible.

God can do what is humanly impossible, which I believe is the context for the Luke passage. He cannot do the irrational or that which is inherently wicked, because it's against His nature, and He cannot deny Himself.

genuineoriginal

But then God could lift the rock that he made that he can't lift.

Psalm 92:8,15
8 But thou, Lord, art most high for evermore.
15 To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.​

If the rock is already most high for evermore, how can it be lifted?

oldhermit

In an effort to conceptualize God, man has posed such questions as, where did God come from, how big is God, how long is eternity, or can God create a rock so big that he cannot lift it? These and other such questions attempt to understand God within the confines of time and space. Since man draws upon comparisons to understand things in this world, he quite naturally tries to understand God in the same way. In the absence of revelation, he can do nothing else. Man feels that he must be able to qualify and quantify everything in order to understand and categorize it. The mind of the skeptic may find it difficult to accept the reality of something that cannot be proven empirically. In the struggle of the human mind to explain the nature of God, man has insisted upon measuring God through the process of natural comparisons. Since God stands outside of man’s ability to rationalize, it is impossible to conceptualize God in terms of time and space. Since we have nothing in our experience with which to compare God or eternity, these questions can add nothing to our understanding of God. God cannot be confined to time or space nor defined by any human metric. These are parameters of strictly linear measurements and can tell us nothing of the unseen world.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Can God make a rock so big?

of course - He made Earth, He made Jupiter, Saturn, Mars

He made the entire universe - all that we can see and more

Lon

It'd make a good poll:

1) Yes
2) No
3) I don't know
4) Neither, it isn't a logical question like asking if I can be pink-invisible.

(3 and 4 are the only logical options)

genuineoriginal

It'd make a good poll:

1) Yes
2) No
3) I don't know

I think your logic lacks imagination.
Do you think there is no way to know if God can create a rock so large in a space so small that there is no way for it to move in an upward direction?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
It'd make a good poll:

1) Yes
2) No
3) I don't know

What makes you think God is confined to our understanding of logic?