BuzzFeed’s hit piece on Chip and Joanna Gaines is dangerous

kmoney

Hall of Fame
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-family-is-dangerous/?utm_term=.fe43b1f4734e

I am currently planning my wedding, and I’ve never been happier. I believe that God brought me and Andy together and that God celebrates our love. I also believe that our marriage will offer a powerful testimony to skeptics that queer love can be God-honoring, and even sacramental.

I have heard from a few well-meaning Christian friends that they feel they can’t attend my ceremony. I think that’s silly, I think it’s theologically misguided, and it hurts me deeply because it makes it seem as if they care more about abstract principles than me, their friend and family member.

Still, I do not think these conservatives should be shamed or mocked. I do not think they should be fired. And I certainly do not think they should be the butt of a popular BuzzFeed article.

I’m referring to a non-story written by Kate Aurthur, published Tuesday on BuzzFeed. The piece starts off innocently enough by describing the success of Chip and Joanna Gaines, a husband-and-wife team whose series “Fixer Upper” is one of the most popular shows on HGTV. After pivoting to the religious beliefs of the Gaineses, and pointing out that they go to an evangelical church whose pastors oppose same-sex marriage, Aurthur then poses these questions:

“So are the Gaineses against same-sex marriage? And would they ever feature a same-sex couple on the show, as have HGTV’s ‘House Hunters’ and ‘Property Brothers’?”

Besides the fact that the entire case is made by speculation and suggestion, there are many other problems at play. Here are a few of them.

A 2016 survey from Pew Research Center shows public support of same-sex marriage is at an all-time high of 55 percent — and it is steadily growing. But the same polls tell us that nearly 4 out of 10 Americans — no small number! — are not on board with it. The minds at BuzzFeed are not naive: They know that the Gaineses and HGTV are going to have to come out with a public statement on same-sex marriage. They also know that if the statement is not 100 percent supportive of same-sex marriage, the network will be pressured to drop them.

Think about that for a moment. Is the suggestion here that 40 percent of Americans are unemployable because of their religious convictions on marriage? That the companies that employ them deserve to be boycotted until they yield to the other side of the debate — a side, we should note, that is only slightly larger than the one being shouted down?

Or maybe the suggestion is that, because they are public figures, they need to be held to a higher standard, one that does not allow them room for moral and religious convictions? But that doesn’t make sense, either.

BuzzFeed is probably at the forefront of discussions surrounding diversity in entertainment. But do their reporters think diversity refers only to skin color? Does ideological diversity count for nothing, especially when it is representative of, again, a sizable chunk of the American public? It’s hard to make the case that the website promotes this kind of diversity, particularly on same-sex marriage. In June, Ben Smith, the publication’s editor in chief, told Politico that “there are not two sides” on the issue.

Another concern I have with the story is that it validates everything that President-elect Donald Trump’s supporters have been saying about the media: that some journalists — specifically younger ones at popular digital publications — will tell stories in certain deceitful, manipulative ways to take down conservatives. (And really, I can’t for the life of me imagine any other intention of the Gaines story.)

The old strategy of journalists shaming “hicks” is not going to work anymore because our new president seems to be on their side. Sure, no one really believes Trump is homophobic, and sure, he has given his word that same-sex marriage will not be overturned. But as is very clear by now, Vice President-elect Mike Pence (who is literally one heartbeat away from the presidency) has a political past that rightly scares LGBT people and our allies. Also very clear: Many enthusiastic Trump supporters oppose same-sex marriage. Like it or not, we now have to engage them.

I hadn't heard about this story until this. I like this response.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
BuzzFeed is progressive nonsense which somewhat recently just had a lot of it's workers leave because of it. Most of them were liberals themselves- BF hates anyone with the slightest conservative opinion on anything.

It's neo-liberal propaganda, and as such, they tend to offend even the people standing next to them :rolleyes:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

I've been wondering what their response would be. (The Benham Brothers they're not).

HGTV fires Benham brothers for Christian beliefs; 'If faith costs us a TV show then so be it,' say brothers
The network pulled the plug after protests from gay activists.
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...th.costs.us.a.tv.show.then.so.be.it/37290.htm

I sense a Matthew 26:34 with the Gaines.

The Berean

I've been wondering what their response would be. (The Benham Brothers they're not).

HGTV fires Benham brothers for Christian beliefs; 'If faith costs us a TV show then so be it,' say brothers
The network pulled the plug after protests from gay activists.
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...th.costs.us.a.tv.show.then.so.be.it/37290.htm

I sense a Matthew 26:34 with the Gaines.

It's amazing to see strong Christian men stand on Biblical principles. What a shining example of courage for the Christian community.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's amazing to see strong Christian men stand on Biblical principles. What a shining example of courage for the Christian community.

Amen, and they're also out there fighting the good fight. From the Christian Today article:

On May 6, a Right Wing Watch blog post detailed the brothers' history of protesting LGBT events, abortion, and gay marriage legislation. The twins' father, Flip Benham, is the director of Operation Save America, a conservative Christian organization that has opposed abortion, homosexuality, and non-Christian religions for decades.

Jason and David organised a North Carolina prayer rally to protest same-sex marriage, and David has protested outside of abortion clinics.

David has been the more vocal brother in his opposition to gay marriage, frequently upholding biblical marriage in media interviews and online.

"If we are going to continue as a nation we must preserve and protect the most sacred institutions of society, specifically marriage & family," Benham wrote in a 2012 Christian Post blog entry.

Matthew 5:13-16

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I hadn't heard about this story until this. I like this response.

Thats a very good article, its evident, the gaines are being targetted by the hit peice article, to force them to agree with gay marriage or be fired.

I wonder if the writer at buzzfeed (Kay Aurthur) equally researches mosques worshipped at, by any famous muslim adherants and if not, why not?

What (that isnt evident to anyone with a brain) could her article be wanting?