Bus driver fired for praying with students on bus

Gary K

Banned
A Minnesota man who works part time as a bus driver has been removed from his driving duties for leading students in prayer. But I don't think this has anything to do with prayer and Christianity. It's racism because the man is black. He's being discrimnated against because of his skin color.

I said fired in the title to this, but that isn't exactly true. It was a misstatement on my part. But it is in effect what has happened. From the bus company owner's statement it doesn't appear the driver will get any further assignments.

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/burnsvil...route-after-leading-kids-in-prayer/480320943/

A school bus driver says he was taken off his route last week because he was leading students in prayer while driving, alleging that the move violates his constitutional rights to freely speak and practice his religion.
It’s not the first time that George Nathaniel has raised concerns by praying with children on a bus. Four years ago, Nathaniel was fired from his job driving Burnsville kids to school for the same reason.
But that didn’t stop Nathaniel, pastor of a Minneapolis congregation, from trying again with students attending Nasha Shkola, a Brooklyn Park charter school focused on Russian language and culture.
“That’s where the Constitution comes in,” Nathaniel said. “You’ve got the freedom to exercise your religious beliefs.”
Nathaniel admitted that his ultimate goal is to convert people to Christianity, but said he had never forced students to pray with him.
However, Muk Musa, owner of Quality Care Transportation, the company that employed Nathaniel, said school officials received complaints that he “was influencing minors to the point where he was forcing them to pray.”
Musa said that while he allows his drivers time for personal prayer, leading children in prayer isn’t a bus driver’s job.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
A Minnesota man who works part time as a bus driver has been removed from his driving duties for leading students in prayer. But I don't think this has anything to do with prayer and Christianity.

Actually, a school employee is forbidden to advocate religion in any way. He's also forbidden to discourage religion in any way. Our Bill of Rights makes that very clear.

It's racism because the man is black. He's being discrimnated against because of his skin color.

Why is it always about race, with you guys?

rexlunae

A Minnesota man who works part time as a bus driver has been removed from his driving duties for leading students in prayer. But I don't think this has anything to do with prayer and Christianity. It's racism because the man is black. He's being discrimnated against because of his skin color.

I said fired in the title to this, but that isn't exactly true. It was a misstatement on my part. But it is in effect what has happened. From the bus company owner's statement it doesn't appear the driver will get any further assignments.

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/burnsvil...route-after-leading-kids-in-prayer/480320943/

This is a charter school. It's not to supposed to be sectarian. Firing was appropriate.