Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Bob vs. Atheist Michael Newdow

Monday January 17th, 2005. This is show #11.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
Since our government was founded on a general respect toward Jesus Christ, our government has shown the world the greatest example of religious freedom the world has ever known and free speech and tolerance of different ideas. I believe those things flow from Christian principles because, by the Bible, you cannot arrest and prosecute someone for not being a Christian. And you don't have the authority to, by force, stop someone for saying they disagree with you.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wamba the Fool

I figured there would be way more comments on this show...

Newdow's an idiot!!

And yes, it was a good show. :up:

the Sibbie

This show made me realize that we've let the athiests take over a country that was mainly based on Christian morals! I wonder if it would ever be possible to keep any country that started out with Godly values that way. There's no law that says we can prohibit people from not believing in God, but it'd be nice if there was a law that stated we can never stray from the original Godly moral laws that a nation was founded on.

KurtPh

Re: Bob vs. Atheist Michael Newdow

Since our government was founded on a general respect toward Jesus Christ, our government has shown the world the greatest example of religious freedom the world has ever known and free speech and tolerance of different ideas. I believe those things flow from Christian principles because, by the Bible, you cannot arrest and prosecute someone for not being a Christian. And you don't have the authority to, by force, stop someone for saying they disagree with you.

Of course, and if memory serves me, if Bob had it his way such Christian tolerance would go the way of the Dodo.

Nice to see you again Jefferson. I would have thought you might have changed your avatar by now if only that it has likely lost it's shock value in the years that you've had it. ;)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Bob vs. Atheist Michael Newdow

Originally posted by KurtPh

Of course, and if memory serves me, if Bob had it his way such Christian tolerance would go the way of the Dodo.
Your memory doesn't serve you.

On Fire

Look at those eyes. He's not just an atheist.....he's a demon (and quite posssibly a fag - just look at that shirt!):

Flipper

Re: Re: Re: Bob vs. Atheist Michael Newdow

Originally posted by Turbo

Your memory doesn't serve you.

Yes it does. If I recall rightly in his account of the first 100 days of a theonomist government, promoting gay activities became a criminal offense.

On Fire

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob vs. Atheist Michael Newdow

Originally posted by Flipper

Yes it does. If I recall rightly in his account of the first 100 days of a theonomist government, promoting gay activities became a criminal offense.

:up:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What does that have to do with religious freedom?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Maybe he's suggesting it would be the next logical step...which, strictly speaking, it could be.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by the Sibbie

This show made me realize that we've let the atheists take over a country that was mainly based on Christian morals! I wonder if it would ever be possible to keep any country that started out with Godly values that way. There's no law that says we can prohibit people from not believing in God, but it'd be nice if there was a law that stated we can never stray from the original Godly moral laws that a nation was founded on.

A Biblical system would solve this issue because God would be the only "lawmaker". There would be no constitutional grounds by which a law could be added, amended or repealed. The law is the law, period.
If I understand it correctly the king would be the only one who could not be convicted of breaking a law. The king is the highest judge in the land and there would be no appeal beyond his authority save that of God Himself, thus no one would have the legal authority to bring a case against the king. Other than that, however, no one is above the law and all are uniformly subject to its penalties for breaking it. The point being that there is no justice by committee, or lawmakers (lawyers) creating laws to suit themselves, etc. Without a legislature, government corruption becomes very difficult indeed.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by granite1010

Maybe he's suggesting it would be the next logical step...which, strictly speaking, it could be.

It might could be a next step but not a logical one. It would no more logical a step than it would be to think that religious intolerance is the next logical step from criminalizing murder, or rape or adultery. Besides, as I said in my last post, if there is no legislature such “steps” are nearly impossible to take in the first place.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Originally posted by KurtPh

It was Bob who said in that quote, "by the Bible, you cannot arrest and prosecute someone for not being a Christian. And you don't have the authority to, by force, stop someone for saying they disagree with you."

Nice to see you again Jefferson. I would have thought you might have changed your avatar by now if only that it has likely lost it's shock value in the years that you've had it. ;)
It only loses it's shock value on people who have lost a functioning conscience.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Originally posted by Jefferson

... It only loses it's shock value on people who have lost a functioning conscience.
Or people who actually worked around hospital emergency rooms and histology labs. :rolleyes:

Seen plenty of corpses and body parts over the years.

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

If I understand it correctly the king would be the only one who could not be convicted of breaking a law. The king is the highest judge in the land and there would be no appeal beyond his authority save that of God Himself, thus no one would have the legal authority to bring a case against the king. Other than that, however, no one is above the law and all are uniformly subject to its penalties for breaking it. The point being that there is no justice by committee, or lawmakers (lawyers) creating laws to suit themselves, etc. Without a legislature, government corruption becomes very difficult indeed.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete, I have to disagree that a king cannot be convicted.

Here is a set of verses stating a king is not above the law:

Deut. 17:14-20
14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;

15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.

16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.

17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:

20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: [but] in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour. Lev 19:15

Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: Acts 10:34

I'm not sure how you would go about judging/convicting a king or who would do it, but by no means is a king outside of the law.

KurtPh

Not to mention rampant censorship of art and literature deemed offensive -- remember that Mr. Enyart did say that Michaelangelo's "David" was obscene, as well as any other art form depicting the nude human form, and ought to be destroyed.

Oh, and the advocating of any religion other than Christianity was also a criminal offense, though I can't recall whether it was a capital offense or merely required the "criminal" be flogged.

Ah, the memories are all coming back. :)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Zakath

Or people who actually worked around hospital emergency rooms and histology labs. :rolleyes:

Seen plenty of corpses and body parts over the years.
So you're saying that seeing all of that made you think murder is not such a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.