Bob Enyart's Evolve.exe software refutes Neo-Darwinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Can life begin, or a brand new protein occur via naturalism?

When our TOL evolutionists claim that natural selection explains the origin of a brand new protein, or even the origin life, they've left out an enormous prerequisite. Natural selection can't select until there is something for it to select. That's true for the start of life, and for unique proteins to evolve. We creationists find the following truth almost universally ignored by evolutionists, not only here at TOL but everywhere: Natural selection cannot select something until it exists.

And by Darwinian naturalism, whatever is to be preserved must first come into existence by either random mutation or chance chemical reactions. Therefore, probability theory is directly relevant to the feasibility of evolution, although Darwinists widely ignore this discipline. So, can life (or even one of countless unique proteins) evolve by chance? Remember, before natural selection can preserve them, THEY FIRST MUST COME INTO EXISTENCE!

So, to get our minds around this question, we can start with a far easier problem, to help us comprehend this enormous difficulty:

Let's give the evolutionist their claimed fifteen billion years of the universe, and see if a random number generator can get the 26-letter English alphabet in order by chance. This is a parallel to Life Beginning, or random mutations producing a Brand New Protein, (which natural selection could then propagate).

To demonstrate this challenge, one of the world's premiere software engineers (you probably have used his software without knowing it) from Boulder, Colorado developed a program for Bob Enyart Live, called Evolve.exe, that rolls the dice to get the letters of the alphabet in their correct order by random chance. The program uses the best available random-number generator.

So far, we have run 43 trillion iterations, and our best result so far has been getting fourteen letters in their correct position, twice. See our KGOV Evolve Results page for specifics.

43,841,813,200,000 trials! That's over forty-three trillion attempts! Hey, I might not be that smart, but I’m persistent!

[Update 8-19: Since we updated the Evolve results on KGOV, others have emailed us mor results, and we now have 57,824,895,700,000! Wow. At this rate, we'll be at 100 Trillion attempts in ONLY EIGHT MORE YEARS! (If you'd like to help, please go to our Evolve.exe, page, download and start running the program!]

If you run this program (we've run it for ten years), you'll get a feel for the harsh reality of probabilities. How long will it take to get all 26 letters correct?

One year contains about 31,557,600 seconds. If your PC runs Evolve at 100,000 trials per second, you'll see 3,155,760,000,000 iterations in one year, i.e., 3.16 trillion trials per year. The probability of getting each letter in its correct position is 1 out of 26 tries, and so it will take (on average) 26 to the 26th power (26^26) trials to get the entire alphabet correct (and then natural selection would have something to work on, let's say, like the first life, or a brand new protein). At 100,000 trials per second it should take about:

26^26 (trials) / 3,155,760,000,000 (trials/year) = 1,950,756,580,000,000,000,000,000 years!

That's 1.95 septillion years! And evolutionists claim the entire universe is only about 15,000,000,000 (15 billion) years old. We're missing a serious number of zeroes here for feasible alphabet evolution.

Just imagine for the actual evolution of life, if after a septillion-trillion years, a single protein molecule formed in nature, and then nature, being its brutal self, simply destroyed it. What a waste of time!

Let's have one billion people run the KGOV Evolve program in parallel (averaging 100,000 trials/second), then it will only take about 1,950,756,580,000,000 years = 1.95 quadrillion years, still far longer than the entire supposed age of the universe, and you'd still only have a 26-letter alphabet, which is nothing as compared to the complexity of a simple protein!

So, here is the truth that our evolutionists, including our TOLers, refuse to acknowledge: Natural selection cannot work until it has something to select! Thus the probability is wildly unachievable in our universe for random chemical reactions to produce the first life, or for mutation to produce a brand new protein.

So, if any TOL evolutionist wants to engage on this issue, my first question is:

BE-Evolve-Q1: Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of reproductive biological life, or does reproductive biological life have to exist first, before Natural Selection can begin propagating it?

Any takers?

-Bob Enyart

Last edited:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Well for starters Stratnerd, how about you?

Well for starters Stratnerd, how about you?

Stratnerd, I’ve poked into a few of your own posts, and already I see that you’ve come awfully close to saying this yourself.

You were answering a creationist’s challenge about abiogenesis, and how life could have got started apart from God, and you included natural selection as a possible answer to him.

The creationist, Nineveh, had pointed out the added difficulty for abiogenesis, of life starting up using only left-handed amino acids. And you answered that handedness might have arisen (possibly) by natural selection.

Nineveh had written: "'the basic problem of abiogenesis' ... is trying to get 'all the right' amino acids to arise in one environment, then join only left handed to left handed in the proper sequence to be useful.”

To which, Stratnerd, you listed a few possible answers to this abiogenesis challenge, including: “the handiness of proteins could be gained through natural selection since those proteins are thought to be more stable.”

And of course Nineveh had asked about abiogenesis and for an explanation of how life could get started with the added burden of only using left-handed acids. And so of course, that describes the time before right or left handedness was established. In other words, the time prior to the beginning of DNA as we know it, which constructs every living species on earth.

When I’ve argued the difficulty of abiogenesis, or of brand new proteins arising by chance, I get the “natural selection” explanation almost without fail.

Meanwhile Stratnerd, do you think you could give a direct answer to this direct question?

BE-Evolve-Q1: Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of reproductive biological life, or does reproductive biological life have to exist first, before Natural Selection can begin propagating it?

-Bob Enyart

Last edited:

Stratnerd

Since natural selection is a population phenomenon then it wouldn't make any sense for me to say that abiogenesis was initiated by natural selection.

“the handiness of proteins could be gained through natural selection" - I envisioned a population of organisms with left and right handedness but those with a greater portion of left handedness being more successful.

When I’ve argued the difficulty of abiogenesis, or of brand new proteins arising by chance, I get the “natural selection” explanation almost without fail.
really, who? somebody that knows what they're talking about?

Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of reproductive biological life, or does reproductive biological life have to exist first, before Natural Selection can begin propagating it?
I suppose it depends on (1) your model for the origin of life and (2) what you define as alive. Obviously, and restating it, natural selection requires reproducing entities (a populations) that have variation in genetic material and variation in reproductive abilities related to the variation in genetic material. So yes or no depending on these criteria.

But it's a silly thing to ask an evolutionists to answer this - ANYONE can answer this.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Stratnerd, I think thou protesteth too much.

You've just done it again.

Stratnerd: "really, who? somebody that knows what they're talking about?" Who says that natural selection helps with abiogenesis!

Well... YOU!

The question I asked is: "Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of reproductive biological life..."

You answered: "...yes or no depending on these criteria."

So, if you're so incredulous, if you can't imagine how I could possibly be running into this answer from evolutionists, why do you list Yes as a possible answer?

You listed criteria, and then said: the answer depends upon your beliefs on these criteria. So, I asked YOU for a direct answer to a direct question. You're informed, no? If "ANYONE can answer this," as yousay, then I hope you can. So Stratnerd, could you please give YOUR answer, to this direct question:

-Bob Enyart

Stratnerd

, if you can't imagine how I could possibly be running into this answer from evolutionists, why do you list Yes as a possible answer?

Because, if you read my answer carefully, I have entitities acting in such a way that natural selection can act. AGAIN, if you want to call them alive then it's not part of abiogenesis because it simply doesn't fit the definition. If you don't call them alive then it is part of abiogenesis because it simply does fit the definition.

SIMPLE.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Stratnerd, the question asks about "Reproductive Biological Life"

Stratnerd, the question asks about "Reproductive Biological Life"

Stratnerd,

Thou protesteth tooo much!

Your "entities" aside, the question asks about "reproductive biological life."

If you are unable to answer the question, from your own knowledge of the scientific issues involved, then please feel free to say so. On the other hand, I’m asking you for a direct answer to a direct question, based upon your understanding, about the possible role of natural selection in the origin of “reproductive biological life.” If you choose to answer, please exclude from your answer consideration of anything other than “reproductive biological life.”.

Let me repeat the question:

Stratnerd, you wrote, “”I have entitities acting in such a way that natural selection can act. AGAIN, if you want to call them alive…”

Nice two-step. Do you know the Cotton-Eyed-Joe?

If they are not alive, then you are sidestepping my question, and answering something else. That might be convenient, but it’s not forthright.

I’m not asking you about “entities” that have a questionable life status (say, a virus, mythical stuff, whatever). I’m asking you about “reproductive biological life,” and whether Natural Selection can help, or not, in abiogenesis.

So, I’ll ask Stratnerd again:

-Bob Enyart

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
BE-Evolve-Q2: Not for the faint of heart...

BE-Evolve-Q2: Not for the faint of heart...

Thank you VERY much for answering directly. That helps a lot.

As for your question elsewhere, I bowed out of that thread to keep the heat on Johnny to retract his statement that: "Evolution is not about 'an increase in information.'"” -Johnny

But as for my evolve program falsifying Neo-Darwinism, Stratnerd, since you concur with our position on the first question, I’ll put the second question to you. I expect it’ll take longer to get an answer from you for this one (that is, of course, if you want to demonstrate the error in my Evolve.exe reasoning).

BE-Evolve-Q2: Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of a unique protein , unique such that it is significantly different from any pre-existing protein, or does such a brand new, unique protein have to exist first, before Natural Selection can begin propagating it?

-Bob Enyart

Stratnerd

As for your question elsewhere, I bowed out of that thread to keep the heat on Johnny to retract his statement that: "Evolution is not about 'an increase in information.'"” -Johnny

He's already pointed out that is does involve increasing information.

Johnny: I am not saying that there hasn't been a trend towards increasing complexity or increasing organization (both of which might be defined as increases in information)--because there has been a strong trend in that direction as organisms "invent" (please note that I use the word retrospectively) new adaptations.

The point needed clarification as I pointed out previously (and STILL is ignored).

Q2. Needs to exist first.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Stratnerd, again, thank you VERY MUCH for answering directly. It’s refreshing. You disproved my hunch that “it’ll take longer to get an answer from you for this.” As for Johnny, with his position, he should be able to retract his earlier statement that "Evolution is not about 'an increase in information.'" If he does, time permitting, I’ll be happy to re-engage him.

If I misunderstand your answers, please correct me, but this is all rather straightforward. I believe you have answered as follows:

Stratnerd’s answers:
BE-Evolve-Q1: Natural selection cannot help with the original appearance of reproductive, biological life, as Stratnerd put it, “If living then no.”
BE-Evolve-Q2: Natural selection cannot help with the initial appearance of a unique protein, and before natural selection can begin propagating a brand new, unique, substantially different protein, the protein “needs to exist first.”

Now I have two questions for you…

BE-Evolve-Q3: Regarding the mutation method of protein evolution, considering that Natural Selection cannot help with the original appearance of substantially unique proteins, such proteins must first come into existence through random mutations (before natural selection can help propagate them). True or False?

BE-Evolve-Q4: Considering that Natural Selection cannot help with the initial appearance of reproductive biological life, abiogenesis would have to succeed first by the laws of physics and random chemical reactions alone, without the aid of any directive conservation process. True or False?

Stratnerd, again thanks for discussing this! Direct questions and answers do seem to allow progress in understanding one another's positions and arguments.

Thank you,

-Bob Enyart

Stratnerd

Q3
  1. Tell us why proteins are relevant? That is, what model of abiogenesis are you examining and why?
  2. Define "substantially unique"
Q4
  1. define life
  2. define directive conservation process

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Why is this a given? ... Why?

Why is this a given? ... Why?

Why is this a given? Because it is your position, according to your answer to BE-Evolve-Q1.

You quoted my clarification of your answer, “Considering that Natural Selection cannot help with the initial appearance of reproductive biological life…”
And then you ask, “why is that a given?”

Why? Stratnerd, because you answered:

If living then no,” to this: BE-Evolve-Q1 Can Natural Selection help with the original appearance of reproductive biological life

Now, I’m forced to withdraw questions Q2, Q3 and Q4, at least temporarily, and ask you Stratnerd to either change, or re-affirm your answer to BE-Evolve-Q1. Your terse answers did not inspire confidence in your commitment to them.

-Bob Enyart

fool

Hall of Fame
And now comes fool

And now comes fool

To me "natural selection" means that things select each other naturally.
Like a box of magnets will stack themselves when shaken, or glucose will arrange itself into complex crystals that you can buy on a stick at the Cracker Barrel.
I think that it starts there and it does work itself up to "short guys hit their head on less stuff".
So I would say that natural selection acts on things that aren't alive.
And when ya get things that reproduce themselves ya get threads fireing off into design space and there ya go.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Fool, please go away. This is a *public* forum. Delete your post or something. Thx.

Fool, please go away. This is a *public* forum. Delete your post or something. Thx.

Stratnerd, déjà vu.

Thank you VERY much for answering directly. That helps a lot! Short answers are fine, as long as they represent your position and are not ambiguous.

Stratnerd answers BE-Evolve-Q1 as follows:
No, natural selection cannot help with the initial appearance of reproductive biological life. Biological life must first come into existence before natural selection can begin propagating it.

Now that you concur with our position on the first question, I’ll put the second question to you, modified from the first time around. (By momentarily backing up, you’ve given me a chance to hone my argument :) ).

BE-Evolve-Q2a: Can Natural Selection help with the advent (the coming into being) of the first useful protein?

Thanks,

-Bob Enyart

Stratnerd

Q2a. No

just to let you know Q1 may change depending on how you set up your definitions like I asked before. Please do so ASAP so we don't waste time. I am assuming of course you are pushing a protei-first model. Changing this will also affect my answers.

But for now let's do the protein-first/only model.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Thread Closed

Thread Closed

Stratnerd, while we are at odds over Christ, I love him, and you..., well... whatever you do..., I am thankful that I have the opportunity to explore scientific ideas with someone as studied as you are. So thank you. This thread is very interesting to me.

That said, as a moderator (which I am only in this BEL forum) I'm going to temporarily close this thread (I hope that doesn't violate Forum etiquette). I am leaving tomorrow for our family's annual vacation (Yellowstone, Montana State University's soft-tissue T-Rex, Glacier Nat'l Park, Vancouver, Victoria, the rain forest at Olympic Nat'l Park - we try to get a good deal of science in for our kids). And when I return, it looks like we will be m-o-v-i-n-g our BEL studio which will be a difficult ordeal. As a result, I'm going to be mostly unavailable for a month. If you're still around when I get back, I'll be thankful!

Thanks, and bye for now!

-Bob Enyart

p.s. Perhaps someone could tell ThePhy that of the old threads he's wanted me to reply to, I just printed our the 23 pages of his criticism of my statement about Venus spinning backward, regarding angular momentum. I plan to read that on our vacation (should add to the fun!) and reply when things settle back down! (Don't worry Phy, I'm not thinking in geologic or astronomical time frames :) . -BE

Status
Not open for further replies.