Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by lighthouse

You just now posted the link to this 'episode'?
Oops. Got August on the brain still. That was supposed to be September 1st. I edited it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I thought you were only going to be on for five minutes?

Any way, is Bob for, or against, BC?

Christine

I would guess by the views espoused by some TOL'ers that Bob would be against, due to the fact that a birth control pill can destroy an already fertilized egg. Although it normally only destroys an unfertilized egg, the idea of destroying a fertilized one (one that is already developing into a baby) is a scary thought for many believers, including myself.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

...a birth control pill can destroy an already fertilized egg. Although it normally only destroys an unfertilized egg, the idea of destroying a fertilized one (one that is already developing into a baby) is a scary thought for many believers, including myself.
That's true, but "the pill" isn't the only form of birth control out there.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I figured you did. It's just that the topic of the debate is birth control generally, not just the pill.

Lucky

Hall of Fame

From what I heard from the debate, he is for BC. The exception being when a form of BC, i.e. The Pillâ„¢, is used to kill an already fertilized egg.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
Bob's argument actually fails. I know for certain there is a passage in the Old Testament that I am trying to find.

Basically it says that a man "shook off his seed" so as to have sex with his brother's wives. God saw this as an evil act and the man died.

The act of shaking off the seed was a sin.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jjjg

Bob's argument actually fails. I know for certain there is a passage in the Old Testament that I am trying to find.

Basically it says that a man "shook off his seed" so as to have sex with his brother's wives. God saw this as an evil act and the man died.

The act of shaking off the seed was a sin.
Uh... if you're talking about the Onan thing, that was discussed during the debate.

Justin

Historically, Christians did not allow birth control. This was never a very popular position (even among Christians), but Christianity has never been about what is popular. It was only a couple generations ago that Christian Churches began allowing the use of birth control. Unfortunately, things have gone downhill from there, so that even the most conservative groups now generally consider birth control acceptable. At some times in the Church, using birth control could result in excommunication until one's death bed. I don't say that because I think we should apply that canon today, but only because it illustrates the seriousness with which early Christians took the issue.

I might also add--as a note to my Catholic friends here--that I believe that Catholics (and conservative Orthodox) also use birth control. You call it NFP, though that is really nothing more than a term used for the 21st century version of the the rhythm (or timing) method. Whatever you might call it, though (and whatever distinctions you might try to make about it being "passive" or "natural"--distinctions the Fathers didn't make) NFP uses the same principles and practices as already-condemned birth control measures. Which is really besides the point, since the Fathers condemned different methods of birth control only secondarily; their main point was that it was wrong to have sex while intending to (and taking steps to) avoid children. Interestingly, even though every Catholic apologist quotes Noonan's book on Contraception to defend the Catholic position, Noonan himself admits that the Fathers condemned NFP (though of course they didn't call it that). Quotes can be supplied if needed.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
Well I listened to it in its entirety and Bob sure fumbled around with that one.

Bob answered correctly in an indirect way when he said Onan was using the woman as a sex object and took God out of the act of reproduction.

It had nothing to do with legalism. Legalism is the principle of you have to ensure your your brother has children.

Funny how Bob puts aside all these great thinkers of history Protestant and Catholic and places his own weak subjectivity on the issue.

By the way, what was he talking about the the spilling of seed was not artificial contraception method.

John Wesley, Luther, Calvin and the Catholic thinkers obviously didn't have condoms back in their time. That was what they were referring to in their writings.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Onan had sex with his brothers' wife, and pulled out...because he was greedy. The sin was his greed. He wanted his brothers' land to himself. If he had done what remains unspoken here on TOL, then he could have still slept with his brothers' wife after a couple of hours. What he did was sleep with her, and then pull out to spill his seed on the ground. And his sin was greed.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
It didn't have to do with the sexual act? It was in some off hand way related to greed.

Isn't that the same greed of the Deutrononomy case? Why wasn't death the result there.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Spilling seed is not a "sexual" act. Onan was commanded, by God, to have sex with his brothers' wife, so that an heir could be produced [because his brither had not had children] and Onan pulled out, and spilled his seed, because he wanted his brothers' possesssions for himself. That was greedy, and in direct disobedience of God's command to produce an heir for a brother who did not have one. It wasn't about the spilling of the seed itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.