Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEL Criticism of Christian Strategy Makes News

Monday April 25, 2005. This is show # 81.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
We should live by James Dobson's pledge of 10 years ago (which he has now violated and to which no one has called him to account for) when he said ..."I will never again support a politician willing to kill a single innocent child."

This would mean that we should boycott the next election. That would get their attention!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Jefferson said:
This would mean that we should boycott the next election. That would get their attention!

And it would be short-term political suicide for the Christian Right... I don't think they have any desire to lose what power they've gained over the last 25 years or so.

Neither do Dobson and his cohorts at his PAC...

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
They probably would have kicked us out if we had tried to go in.

(I was prtesting, not eating)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dobson's another whore of convenience, same as the rest of them. Right or left, pragmatism is inevitable.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
granite1010 said:
... Right or left, pragmatism is inevitable.
It appears to be a political survival skill.

I used to admire Dobson until he became publicly involved in trying to strongarm the Republican party. :rolleyes:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Same here. I might not have agreed with him completely but had to respect what he'd accomplished.

Now he's just a bespectacled GOP lap dog.

docrob57

Zakath said:
And it would be short-term political suicide for the Christian Right... I don't think they have any desire to lose what power they've gained over the last 25 years or so.

We have no power. It may mean short term political suicide, but it is the only way to achieve long term gain.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
We have no power.
Odd comment for a slave of the allegedly omnipotent deity. :think:

It may mean short term political suicide, but it is the only way to achieve long term gain.
This isn't one of those "unless a seed falls into the ground and dies" things, is it???

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Zakath said:
And it would be short-term political suicide for the Christian Right...
I disagree. It would result in immediate respect. Respect along with hatred to be sure, but respect nevertheless. Elections are usually won or lost by a couple percentage points. If Dobson's huge following agreed to follow his lead and boycott the elections (for the Republican's refusal to have a litmus test for judges vowing to overturn Roe v. Wade), that would immediately send the Republican party quaking in their boots which is the exact opposite of how they treat the Christian right today, which is to merely give us lip service and then vote the exact opposite of our convictions because they "know" that we won't vote Democrat. They think they have us in their hip pocket. And they're right, they do...today. But if we vow in mass to boycott the elections then it will be we who have them in our hip pocket. And this respect would become reality at the very moment of the press release announcing the boycott. That's the exact opposite of the short-term political suicide you predict.

I don't think they have any desire to lose what power they've gained over the last 25 years or so.
What power? Name me one judge appointed by a Republican in the last 25 years that believes in the unborn's fundamental right to life.

What power do they have? As Granite correctly pointed out, Dobson is only a lap dog. That's not power, it's submissiveness. It's not leading, it's following.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Zakath wrote:
I used to admire Dobson until he became publicly involved in trying to strongarm the Republican party.

Then Granite wrote:
Same here. ...Now he's just a bespectacled GOP lap dog.

Which is it? Either he's a lap dog or he's strongarming them. He can't be both.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
docrob57 said:
Boycott or go with the Constitution Party. The latter would be preferable because then the lost REpublican votes would be quantifiable.
Good point and a good idea. :up:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Blizzards or Parfaits?

Blizzards or Parfaits?

And this just in, from a former owner of a Dairy Queen: "Bob, I used to own a Dairy Queen [BEL confirms this] and one of my favorites was their Peanut Buster Parfait. I hear the one you protested has a new item: The Fili-Buster Parfait, with plenty of nuts!
It has no nutritional value, but makes Republicans feel better! God Bless, Carl."
-Bob

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bob Enyart said:
And this just in, from a former owner of a Dairy Queen: "Bob, I used to own a Dairy Queen [BEL confirms this] and one of my favorites was their Peanut Buster Parfait. I hear the one you protested has a new item: The Fili-Buster Parfait, with plenty of nuts!
It has no nutritional value, but makes Republicans feel better! God Bless, Carl."
-Bob
:darwinsm:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I hear the one you protested has a new item: The Fili-Buster Parfait, with plenty of nuts! It has no nutritional value, but makes Republicans feel better!
I wouldn't be able to eat it. I'm wackos-intolerant.

docrob57

Zakath said:
Odd comment for a slave of the allegedly omnipotent deity. :think:

This isn't one of those "unless a seed falls into the ground and dies" things, is it???

Clever! No I was referreing to power in the sense of having our interests represented in the government. And no, what I am suggesting is what Anthony Downs termed "future oriented voting" in his study An Economic Theory of Democracy Like you, Downs was concerned with rational behavior. He developed a formal theory of voting behavior based on a rational choice model and concluded that in certain circumstances it is rational for a person to support a party with no chance of winning in an effort to gain a greater victory in the future, specifically by forcing a political party closer to your side.

:cow: I love that cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.