Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureX

Originally posted by Scrimshaw None of the indications support a self-caused, OR eternal universe. Thus, the only other possibility is that a super-natural agency (an agency separate from physical reality) was the creative cause.
This isn't true. There are indicators that there are other possible causes, and Zakath listed several of them. They are not proven, but neither is any other hypothosis. But the fact remains that they are viable, and there is evidence to have suggested them. As for yours (and Bob's) assertion that if you can eliminate any other suggested cause, then the "God did it" theory must have been the cause by default, you have over looked the very obvious OTHER possibility, and that is that we don't know, or possibly can't know. Not knowing does not equate to "God must have done it". Not knowing just means we don't know. And in fact it is more true than any of the other suggested truth claims to date.
Originally posted by Scrimshaw I don't think anyone would be so bold to claim that the supernatural is part of "reality". However, in the realm of theoretical origins, I think it can be shown quite convincingly that theism is logically superior to any of the naturalistic theories, based on the evidence/indicators found in the universe.
Oh, I very much doubt that. But this statement is yet another invitation into the endless mire of the interpretation and viability of scientific facts. No thanks.

cheeezywheeezy

I know this is the grandstands and people are to discuss the on-going battle...but some people seem willingly ignorant of stuff.

When Bob or Zakath ask for a definition or to have something clarified...people become outraged and think that the other is being difficult. Those same people then argue about the defintion or meaning of a certain word to someone else in this forum.

PureX wrote:

"The theist, who grounds his truth in supernatural concepts is not going to be convinced of anything by means of science, because he has already "transcended" that method of determining truth."

the theist grounds his truth in the supernatural?

I think Bob did a pretty good job to show that truth isn't grounded in the supernatural by asking about if it was true that there were three bulletted items. Does one have to have truth grounded in the supernatural to count to three?

Has anyone besides me actually listend to Bob on the radio, watched him on tv, been to his seminars, or watched his videos?

Bob is using similar arguments as he presents in his "Does God Exist" seminar...as he does in the video "Get Out of The Matrix"...and especially in the audio tape series "Bob Debates and Arkansas Atheist". If you are so eager to see where Bob is going with his questions...familiarize yourself with those three items.

Especially the Arkansas Atheist...he starts the debate with very similar questions...and it is actually the atheists that invokes the supernatural to explain the origin of the universe from nothing. I think the atheists line of reasoning was something like...

*Well...since you cannot account for the origin of the universe by NATURAL PROCESSES OPPERATING TODAY...the first few nano-seconds of the big bang allowed for a suspension of natural processes.

The Arkansas atheist was willing to suspend the natural laws for a few nano-seconds to allow the universe to come into being. If you suspend natural laws...then you invoke the super natural.

it is almost similar to Zakaths argument about the infinite universes and this so called "natural law" that hasn't been identified as of yet.

Ok...so I just wrote alot about nothing. Oh well...just wanted to say if you really want to see where Bob will likely take the Debate...then support him by buying the three things I mentioned.

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by novice
Obviously "quip" isn't E-Quipped. :D

Ooopp! Looks like I overlooked #2 :eek: . I can only guess that this quote was related to my goof, since it seems you overlooked #2 as well, novice.

None the less, the logic remains the same.

Any other brilliant insights today novice?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate ...

Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate ...

I invite any and all interested in how Bob Enyart lost the debate with his very first post to visit my new thread here:

Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate

I predict a loss for Mr. Enyart, but not because I favor Zakath's arguments, but rather because Mr. Enyart's arguments are horribly unbiblical. Even if it appears, in the end, that Mr. Enyart cleaned Zakath's proverbial clock on a debate level, whether through superior rhetoric or a wider knowledge of science, the fact is, if Mr. Enyart continues to argue unbiblically, he will have lost the debate on a biblical level.

Jim

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Re: Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate ...

Re: Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate ...

Originally posted by Hilston
I invite any and all interested in how Bob Enyart lost the debate with his very first post to visit my new thread here:

Bob Enyart Has Already Lost The Debate

I predict a loss for Mr. Enyart, but not because I favor Zakath's arguments, but rather because Mr. Enyart's arguments are horribly unbiblical. Even if it appears, in the end, that Mr. Enyart cleaned Zakath's proverbial clock on a debate level, whether through superior rhetoric or a wider knowledge of science, the fact is, if Mr. Enyart continues to argue unbiblically, he will have lost the debate on a biblical level.

Jim
Jim please, don't spread your embarrassment even further.

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by PureX
This isn't true. There are indicators that there are other possible causes, and Zakath listed several of them. They are not proven, but neither is any other hypothosis. But the fact remains that they are viable, and there is evidence to have suggested them.

Actually, there is ZERO evidence that suggests complex, life-permitting universes would explode into existence out of nothing. There is no test, no body of data, no observation, no experiment - nothing that has proven any such thing would happen, or *could* happen. In fact, the very idea of a singularity of infinite density and zero volume is purely mythical. Such a thing has never been observed, tested, etc. To simply say these naturalistic theories are "not proven" is gross understatment. They haven't been shown to be *possible*. The idea of a universe popping into existence uncaused violates the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, and the idea of an eternal universe violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. They are NOT viable options whatsoever.

As for yours (and Bob's) assertion that if you can eliminate any other suggested cause, then the "God did it" theory must have been the cause by default, you have over looked the very obvious OTHER possibility, and that is that we don't know, or possibly can't know.

Who said anything about "knowing"??? I am not a theist because I claim to "know" that there is a Creator. I am a theist because theism is the origin model that has the most evidential and logical soundness, based on the evidence we observe in biological life and the universe. The fact is, every single person on the planet is an "agnostic", but very few act like it.

Not knowing does not equate to "God must have done it". Not knowing just means we don't know. And in fact it is more true than any of the other suggested truth claims to date.

I find it rather amusing how you are so quick to tell theists how not knowing does not equate "God did it", but we never hear a peep out of you when atheists claim that not knowing automatically equals "a natural process did", even if the natural processes they posit are totally in violation of the laws of physics, are completely unverifable, and have never been observed, tested, etc.

Oh, I very much doubt that. But this statement is yet another invitation into the endless mire of the interpretation and viability of scientific facts. No thanks.

I don't like mire, I do have interpretations, and what is and is not a "scientific fact" has very little to do with origin theories.

Last edited:

Eireann

Originally posted by novice
Overheard in the grandstands....So Bob was 3 minutes late big deal!
3 minutes? Uh ... try 27!

The readout on my computer (it'll differ a bit for everyone, depending on your time zone and whether or not you actually set your time zone when you registered):

Zakath: 6-20-2003. 3:24
Enyart: 6-22-2003. 3:51

Freak

Originally posted by PureX
That assessment will change depending upon the criteria, and how the criteria is applied.

This is where you are utterly confused. Good has never been evil & evil has never been good. That is like saying table was once spider. That is insane.

There is nothing "absolute" about it.

Can spider be table? Of course not! Spider is spider, table is table. There are absolute.

There is a general concensus among humans as to what they perceive to be good and what they don't, as humans are quite similar in needs and desires, but this by no means makes the concept an "absolute".

Good is good. That's not absolute? Can shelf be the number 45?

PureX

Originally posted by cheeezywheeezy PureX wrote:

"The theist, who grounds his truth in supernatural concepts is not going to be convinced of anything by means of science, because he has already "transcended" that method of determining truth."

The theist grounds his truth in the supernatural?

I think Bob did a pretty good job to show that truth isn't grounded in the supernatural by asking about if it was true that there were three bulletted items. Does one have to have truth grounded in the supernatural to count to three?
To a theist, God = truth. Since God is "supernatural", so then would be a theist's foundation for truth. Thus, I am puzzled by Bob's claiming that his concept of truth is essentially a fact: a statement grounded in "reality". To be a theist, I would assume then that his reality must include the supernatural, and if this is so, what WOULDN'T reality include? Or, if his concept of reality does not include the supernatural, then his stated definition of truth does not include his supernatural God.
Originally posted by cheeezywheeezy Especially the Arkansas Atheist...he starts the debate with very similar questions...and it is actually the atheists that invokes the supernatural to explain the origin of the universe from nothing. I think the atheists line of reasoning was something like...

*Well...since you cannot account for the origin of the universe by NATURAL PROCESSES OPPERATING TODAY...the first few nano-seconds of the big bang allowed for a suspension of natural processes.

The Arkansas atheist was willing to suspend the natural laws for a few nano-seconds to allow the universe to come into being. If you suspend natural laws...then you invoke the super natural.
We humans do not possess all knowledge of the natural universe. There could and very likely are aspects and functions of the natural universe that are so far beyond our perception and understanding that we have yet to even recognize them. This does not make them "supernatural" just because we don't know of them, yet they could be the solution to some of our unanswered questions about the origins of existence. Thus, this "Arkansas Atheist" could be referring to as yet unknown processes that would appear unnatural to us because they are so unfamiliar to us, yet that are NOT outside natural laws and functions and so are in no way actually "supernatural".
Originally posted by cheeezywheeezy Ok...so I just wrote alot about nothing. Oh well...just wanted to say if you really want to see where Bob will likely take the Debate...then support him by buying the three things I mentioned.
That's OK, you asked some very reasonable questions and in a considerate manner. Thanks for speaking up!

PureX

Originally posted by Scrimshaw Actually, there is ZERO evidence that suggests complex, life-permitting universes would explode into existence out of nothing. There is no test, no body of data, no observation, no experiment - nothing that has proven any such thing would happen, or *could* happen. In fact, the very idea of a singularity of infinite density and zero volume is purely mythical. Such a thing has never been observed, tested, etc. To simply say these naturalistic theories are "not proven" is gross understatment. They haven't been shown to be *possible*. The idea of a universe popping into existence uncaused violates the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, and the idea of an eternal universe violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. They are NOT viable options whatsoever.
Seems you should have Steven Hawkin's job, then, as you are far more informed about what is universally possible and what is not.
Originally posted by Scrimshaw Who said anything about "knowing"??? I am not a theist because I claim to "know" that there is a Creator. I am a theist because theism is the origin model that has the most evidential and logical soundness, based on the evidence we observe in biological life and the universe. The fact is, every single person on the planet is an "agnostic", but very few act like it.
Hmmm, well, you don't seem to be very "agnostic" regarding anyone else's theories. Somehow, you "know" enough to be absolutely sure that all the other theories are baseless, but you don't actually "know" enough to prove your own.
Originally posted by Scrimshaw I find it rather amusing how you are so quick to tell theists how not knowing does not equate "God did it", but we never hear a peep out of you when atheists claim that not knowing automatically equals "a natural process did", even if the natural processes they posit are totally in violation of the laws of physics, are completely unverifable, and have never been observed, tested, etc.
Since we do not possess all knowledge of natural law, it is quite possible, and even likely that there are natural processes that exist that are beyond our current knowledge and comprehension, and that could be responsable for some of the solutions to our questions. But just because we don't know of them does not make them "supernatural". Theists tend to overlook this because they have already jumped to the conclusion that the solutions MUST be supernatural. Then they immediately turn right around and accuse the atheist of making the exact same mistake. I'm not sure I would describe this as "amusing", exactly. Ironic, maybe.

PureX

Originally posted by Freak This is where you are utterly confused. Good has never been evil & evil has never been good. That is like saying table was once spider. That is insane.

Can spider be table? Of course not! Spider is spider, table is table. There are absolute.

Good is good. That's not absolute? Can shelf be the number 45?
Are you incapable of recognizing the difference between an object, and an idea? A spider and a chair are physical objects. Good and evil are value judgments. What about this can't you grasp? Is a chair a good chair or a bad chair? Is a spider a good spider or a bad spider? How will you decide? And if someone else evaluates the chair using a different criteria than you, won't they likely come to a different evaluation?

How about a person. Is a person a good person or an evil person? How will you evaluate them? What criteria will you use? Will we all use the same criteria? If so, wouldn't we all come the the same evaluation? Yet we rarely ever do, because we are not all using the same criteria for judging what constitutes a good person or an evil person.

OK, now how about deeds. What is a good deed and what is an evil deed? How will you evaluate deeds to decide which is which? What criteria will you use? Will we all use that same criteria? Not very likely, is it?

I know lots of people who honestly believe that George Bush is actually evil. I also know lots of people who honestly believe George bush is good. They disagree because they are each using different criteria for judging what is good and what is evil. This is normal and understandable because they are each different people, with different life experiences and different ideas about what is good and what is not.

This is reality.

RogerB

Re: Re: Bob is CREAMING Zaketh

Re: Re: Bob is CREAMING Zaketh

Originally posted by Eireann
Creaming? Bob asked some questions. Zakath asked for clarification on certain points in order to narrow the discussion. Bob has evaded clarifying his points. You call that creaming? You don't have very high standards, do you?

Yes, CREAMING!

You have bad hibit of questionsing other's standards. I find that hilarious coming from a witch.

shima

tenkeeper
>>A glint of the True Light
Will get through
To an elect few<<

Tell me, tenkeeper, if only an elect few see the "True Light", and if 95% of the worlds population believes in one God/Gods or another, are they then the "select few"? Or, rather, are those 5% atheists the "select few"?

Status
Not open for further replies.