Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Originally posted by PureX
But there's a whole bunch of assumptions going on here that are not varified, or varifiable.

:confused: You kidding me. Natural Law speaks of the foundational truths of good and evil. Good cannot be evil, evil cannot be good. The mere words/meanings are different. How are these assumptions?

PureX

Originally posted by mindlight I agree that a belief in truth must be a prerequisite for a debate of this sort. If there is no truth then no one can say anything definitive regarding this or any other matter.
No one is denying truth. The issue is about "absolute" truth.

"I believe this...", "I believe that...", I believe that what I believe is absolutely true.

Fine, but saying it and believing it still doesn't make it true, and it especially doesn't make it absolutely true, to anyone else but the "believer". And in fact what that proves is that for we humans, the only truth we seem to be able to express (or grasp) is relative to our own experiences an beliefs. Relative truth is all we seem to possess, and a relative truth is not an absolute truth no matter how much we believe and claim that it is. A belief in God does not a God make. All it makes is a "believer".

This is and has always been the essential problem with such a debate. The same limitations that befall the believer, also befall anyone who would be foolish enough to try and DISprove such a metaphysical belief; the substance of which lies outside of our reality (and therefor outside of our ability to verify).

So we can make all the claims we want to about God, the afterlife, fate, whatever. But all they will ever be are claims. And if we pretend that they are something more than a claim, we are pretending. Even when we succumb to the illusion our own pretenses, we are still pretending. This much IS true.

Bob isn't going to present any evidence outside his own personal beliefs and experiences because there isn't any. And Zakath isn't going to disprove Bob's assertions because he can't. All Zakath can do is prove that Bob's assertions about the truth of God are all relative to Bob's beliefs and experiences, only, even if Bob can't recognize or admit to this himself. But proving that Bob's beliefs about truth are relative to Bob, does not prove that they are untrue any more than Bob can prove that they are true.

Yet, maybe some folks will learn a thing or too about their own assumptions about God, and truth, and the limitations of a human being's ability to varify their own assumptions.

The answer is this: the only way to God is by faith, should one experience a desire to go there.

PureX

Originally posted by Freak
:confused: You kidding me. Natural Law speaks of the foundational truths of good and evil. Good cannot be evil, evil cannot be good. The mere words/meanings are different. How are these assumptions?
"Natural law" would dictate that any energy form possessing the choice and ability to preserve and perpetuate itself will do. Is this "good"? Natural law also dictates that energy forms must compete with each other to maintain their existence as integral forms. Is this "evil"? Yet if so, then doesn't doing "good" (preserving one's own integral form) create the very competition that we have deemed "evil"?

A few (presumably) rare energy forms have evolved to a point where they can actually begin to recognize these "natural laws" and can even choose to defy them. Is this then "immoral"? Yet how can it be when it's the very laws themselves that have created the forms that can now stand in defiance of them? Or would defying these natural laws, that have in fact created both "good" and "evil" themselves, be considered the morally superior path?

There's a whole lot we don't yet understand about "natural law", and what is really "good and evil", or what is "moral". Pretending that it's simple doesn't make it any simpler.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Curious

Re: Curious

Originally posted by Tye Porter
I am just the average joe, knowing little of any of these subjects.
Well "Joe", I noticed that you never did address the original point of my post about the array of fossils radiating from the alleged site of Noah's ark... :rolleyes:

But if life has been evolving for the last 3 billion years or so, and has been fighting it's was through natural selection.
If life has taken evolutionary twists and turns, competing species, and all.
If this has been going on for all of this time, why are we not walking on more fossils than we have dirt?
For the same reason we're not walking on forty feet of oak leaves in the park down the street... most things are never fossilized but fall victim to decay.

Take out the innaccurate theory of carbon dating, which is actually only good to within 100 to 200 years of an object, and even that, only good for the past 5000 years, small wonder.
Didn't we once carbon date a fresh seal carcass and give it a date of 500 years old?
Interesting story, do you have a source for this one?

I read a study, where three competing teams studied and dated artifacts from a french cave, and came up with three different numbers, some 50,000 years apart. One was 500,000 give or take a few thousand years, they said. I am trying to find that study, when i do, i will post the link.
Thank you, I'd be interested in reading it, as well. :)

6100 years folks, let's stick to the facts, and instead of assumin it is billions, and making the figures work for this number, let's stick to 6100, and see how much better everything fits.
Where'd you get 6100 years as "fact"?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by mindlight
Debates of this sort are fascinating and I sometimes regret not having more time to listen to them and even participate in them.
They can be fun, too. You ought to try to set aside some time and participate in one. :D

2) Bob Enyart makes some powerful points I think and I agree that a belief in truth must be a prerequisite for a debate of this sort. If there is no truth then no one can say anything definitive regarding this or any other matter.
I have not disagreed with the point, I am merely asking for Pastor Enyart to define what he means by "truth". I think this is particularly needful in light of his rather unorthodox definitions for the Christian God.

3) I can see little positive in Zakaths worldview. His identity is powerful because of what he was rather than what he is now. He can pull his punches because of his awareness of the Christian world not because of his present atheism. He is a NON-Christian but he does not argue a credible alternative that could survive the same measure of critique he gives Christianity.
It's only the second round of a ten round interchange. Check back and see what develops. :thumb:

Stratnerd

Z-

Well "Joe", I noticed that you never did address the original point of my post about the array of fossils radiating from the alleged site of Noah's ark...

do you have the right people in mind; I thought you were asking me?

You said "I'm not a hard-core biologist, but I might expect to see a relatively small number of widely divergent fossilized species closer to Ararat with more differentiation showing further and futher away... Is that the case?"

I dunno... are you invoking superspeciation rates (ala Bob B)? Or God commanding animals to go in certain directions (I forget whose that is). You're better off asking a creationist... I hate to be accused of present a cartoon "theory" of creation but I've been asking for specifics of a flood (that's is, a number of testable predictions about order or sequence) for four years and I have yet to see anyone do it.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Stratnerd
Z-
do you have the right people in mind; I thought you were asking me?
I was, but he cited my comment. I thought he might at least take a shot at answering my question... :)

I dunno... are you invoking superspeciation rates (ala Bob B)? Or God commanding animals to go in certain directions (I forget whose that is). You're better off asking a creationist... I hate to be accused of present a cartoon "theory" of creation but I've been asking for specifics of a flood (that's is, a number of testable predictions about order or sequence) for four years and I have yet to see anyone do it.
Sorry, with all the posts flying back and forth here I got lost. It seems like we'd argue a similar side in that discussion...

Does anyone here have an answer, one way or another, to that point about distribution of species? :confused:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Thank you, stratnerd.

I feel particularly encouraged since you're appear to be using the dragon of Cyrmu, the icon of my ancestral land... :thumb:

Stratnerd

Zakath,

Do you mind a comment specifically related to Enyart's comments?

and I'm only two generations American... my folks were all miners in Pennsylvania and they came over just after the Civil War (probably to replace all the dead).

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Stratnerd
Zakath,

Do you mind a comment specifically related to Enyart's comments?
Certainly not. Go right ahead. If you'd rather not make it publicly PM me or email me. :D

and I'm only two generations American... my folks were all miners in Pennsylvania and they came over just after the Civil War (probably to replace all the dead).
Interesting, my dad's folks were miners and farmers but ended up in Southern Illinois...

Stratnerd

I'm an ecologist not a chemist and not an evolutionary biologist but, being an ecologist that studies (but still doesn't understand) how landscapes at various scales to affect populations, I have a hint of complexity (evolution = ecology + time)

Organisms, and I'm excluding viruses and prions, which aren't really organisms, are all based on DNA/RNA and share many other features suggesting a single origin of life and we know of no other forms of life (at least, those that are independent of ones we know) and this, to me suggests that spontaneously forming life is highly improbable but that is not saying impossible, just improbable (just as any individual getting struck by a meteorite). If going from a catalytic community to protobionts to pre-modern cells to cells took many many steps (which seems reasonable to me) then a model reconstructing these steps is nearly impossible because each step has a probability function that is the result of many other probabilitity functions (such as temperature, salinity, UV concentration, starting methane, starting ammonia, starting pH, I say starting because cyclicity of these might be an important factor so add that to the mix, and there are probably many many elements that are important). If the origin of life has a history and if contingency had any effect, and no doubt it does, then building a model of it would be like building a model of the probability of me typing this to you starting with the original humans. There are an infintessimal number of combinations at any one time of conditions and then combine this with the number of combinations of sequences of potential events. The best we can do is pick the teeniest tiniest fraction of that history and work with a teeny tiny (that is a scientific term btw) fraction of combinations of starting materials (and someone on this board suggested that all have been tested!). I don't even know how to translate the results of some of these studies even "negative" results (perhaps these molecules were important later on) because it is difficult to even place the outcome in a particular sequence. For example, nobody expected cells from Miller experiments yet we see this as a failure to produce living organisms.

Does any of this make sense?

At the opposite scale, we can build very general models and I haven't seen any of these that are precluded by any physical laws but that doesn't really help us reconstruct a living organisms since one of these general steps (e.g, formation of a lipid membrane) may represent billions of chemical reactions.

Freak

Originally posted by PureX

There's a whole lot we don't yet understand about "natural law", and what is really "good and evil", or what is "moral". Pretending that it's simple doesn't make it any simpler.

Natural Law speaks of the reality of "good" & "evil." All of humanity knows of good & evil, for the conscience reveals these universal truths. I noticed you didn't deal with reality, when I mentioned good cannot be evil & evil cannot be good. Just as "chair" cannot be "spider." This is foundational logic. There is absoluteness in goodness & evil. This absoluteness come from God.

drbrumley

Z posted at 06-20-2003 04:24 PM

it is now.......

6-22-03 4:09 PM

Man do they take advantage of the full 48 hours or what?

Scrimshaw

I wonder if Bob will call Zakath on his "natural-process-did-it" theory. You, the old "natural process of the gaps" theory.

Eireann

Well, he made it in with his post, but he didn't make it under the 48 hour mark. Should Knight be gracious and allow it anyway? If so, what equal concession should he make to Zakath?

NoLies

Bob has given Zakath a beating in round 2. It was easily a 10-8 round. He even opened a cut over his eye. I don't think Zakath can make it 10 rounds he didn't do enough road work and is looking a little soft in the middle...

Status
Not open for further replies.