Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by D the Atheist
Because he qualified is not a proof of anything.

Nor was I attempting to use it as a proof.

Because a statement may never be proven correct is not necessarily evidence of anything.

I never said it was.

Here a couple of things we do know. There is a Universe and life exists.

This much is true.

Fantasy can say many things about that but the highest probability strongly suggests that one follows the other.

Then it should exist other places as well.

The Universe exists…life exists…inevitability is a reasonable assertion here.

I don't think so. For a time, the universe existed with no life in it.

I have been culturally brainwashed religiously roughly to the same extent as yourself.

I live in a Godless society. If I've been culturally brainwashed, I've rejected it.

I therefore have the same knowledge as you.

You don't know God.

Tell me this Jack, what would your religion be if you were brought up in an Islamic culture and not a Christian one?

I guess I'd be an infidel, because I don't simply accept what I'm told. I make up my own mind.

You are making a hypothesis amongst many hypotheses, it is therefore up to you to demonstrate in a universal manner that yours are correct.

If I have to do that, then so do you.

This is especially true if you are apart of the brainwashing of children in this regard.

I'm not brainwashing any children.

Science is not brainwashing children about life happening naturally.

You're right, that's not science, but that is what they tried to do to me in school.

So this is your way of proving the bibles are authentic. Are the Koran and the Hadith wrong and if so why?

Yes, they're wrong, because they fail the tests.

ex_fundy

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack You rejected your beliefs because of the way some people behaved?
No, the way some fundamentalist behaved caused me to reevaluate the evidence that supposedly supported the belief system I'd held for almost 30 years. The non-persuasiveness of books like "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", "More Evidence...", "The Case for Christ", "When Skeptics Ask", "Know Why You Believe", "Apologetics", etc. failed to show me any reason to hold onto that belief system. The further I explored outside the walls of fundamentalism, the more I saw that I would be dishonest with myself to pretend to believe in one myth over another. Afterall, had you and I been born in India we'd probably be arguing the virtues of various camps of Hinduism right now.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by ex_fundy
No, the way some fundamentalist behaved caused me to reevaluate the evidence that supposedly supported the belief system I'd held for almost 30 years. The non-persuasiveness of books like "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", "More Evidence...", "The Case for Christ", "When Skeptics Ask", "Know Why You Believe", "Apologetics", etc. failed to show me any reason to hold onto that belief system. The further I explored outside the walls of fundamentalism, the more I saw that I would be dishonest with myself to pretend to believe in one myth over another. Afterall, had you and I been born in India we'd probably be arguing the virtues of various camps of Hinduism right now.

You might. I wouldn't.

ex_fundy

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack You might. I wouldn't.
You live in the famous "Bible Belt" of the "Christian Nation" (according to most Fundamentalists) known as the United States of America. Our coinage says "In God We Trust", there are Christian churches on every other corner of most towns, the Christian book/television/music industry is monumental, the non-Christian music industry (e.g. country) frequently makes reference to God, 46% of Americans claim a "born again" experience, another 40% have some association with a branch of Christianity, you probably were love bombed by some Christians at an early age, etc., etc.

You, like most humans simply succumbed to the culture around you. Had you been born in India you'd be Hindu, Suadi Arabia - Islam, or China - Budhist.

Valmoon

Dang reading OEJ's replies is like reading a novel of "nah nah nah nah nah". I dont know why you all waste your time replying to anything he says. He seems to want you to do all the lifting and then he will make short nonproductive snide remarks to selective sentences. lol. I for one wont be offended if you just skip replying to anything he says. In fact I would welcome it.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by ex_fundy
You live in the famous "Bible Belt" of the "Christian Nation" (according to most Fundamentalists) known as the United States of America. Our coinage says "In God We Trust", there are Christian churches on every other corner of most towns, the Christian book/television/music industry is monumental, the non-Christian music industry (e.g. country) frequently makes reference to God, 46% of Americans claim a "born again" experience, another 40% have some association with a branch of Christianity, you probably were love bombed by some Christians at an early age, etc., etc.

You, like most humans simply succumbed to the culture around you. Had you been born in India you'd be Hindu, Suadi Arabia - Islam, or China - Budhist.

I don't think so. I made up my own mind.

D the Atheist

OEJ,

Nor was I attempting to use it as a proof.

You were attempting to convince the audience that Bob’s expertise was unassailable. You then have the cheek to talk about people suffering under a delusion. It is oh so easy to see why you believe the unbelievable.

Then it should exist other places as well.

It may be inevitable once, to suit prevailing conditions, or it may be in other places also. It does not have to be intelligent as we know it as this is just one of the many survival strategies produced by evolution. Some survive by having fins, others by wings and others by chemical ware-fare and a myriad of other methods.

I don't think so. For a time, the universe existed with no life in it.

No one is denying that the Universe plus time equals life. A great deal of time so it seems! I am unsure of what particular beliefs you hold about time and the two biblical accounts in Genesis of the origins of life. Are you a seven dayer or a days can be interpreted to be whatever the reader wishes evaluator?

I live in a Godless society. If I've been culturally brainwashed, I've rejected it.

You live in one of the most religious western societies that exist. To reject cultural brainwashing it first has to be recognised. You have not achieved that yet. Brainwashing does not come up and tell you it is happening that is why it is called brainwashing. Surely the example of ALL other cultures tells you something about this?

I guess I'd be an infidel, because I don't simply accept what I'm told. I make up my own mind.

Jack, you are being dishonest again. I asked statistically what you would be and of course the answer would be Muslim. I suppose you realise that ALL religious peoples of ALL the thousands of religions that have or do exist believe in their systems just as fervently as do you and your crowd.

If I have to do that, then so do you.

Wrong….No I don’t. You have a fantasy amongst many fantasies and that fantasy is negatively influencing society in a way that is either unrecognisable or not cared about by its adherents. You are in effect affecting the wellbeing of other people in that society based on nothing but the words in an ancient and unreliable book written by clever people of long ago. That they did not have the advantage of scientific method had them making up all kinds of stories. A look at ALL cultures shows this to be a true statement.

I'm not brainwashing any children.

You are a part and supportive of a loosely held together religious belief system influencing the way children are taught. By being on the Web, you are doing the same.

You're right, that's not science, but that is what they tried to do to me in school.

What? They told you the exact way that life happened? How about impart that knowledge to me? I really would like to know?

Yes, they're wrong, because they fail the tests.

You have tested all the other religions then???? Tell me about those tests?

One Eyed Jack

You were attempting to convince the audience that Bob’s expertise was unassailable.

No I wasn't, I was simply saying he had a better grasp of mathematics than Zeno.

You then have the cheek to talk about people suffering under a delusion.

And a powerful one at that.

It is oh so easy to see why you believe the unbelievable.

What is so unbelievable about my beliefs?

It may be inevitable once, to suit prevailing conditions, or it may be in other places also.

Or it may not be inevitable at all, and only exists because God created it.

It does not have to be intelligent as we know it as this is just one of the many survival strategies produced by evolution.

I never said it did, but you haven't even shown that evolution is true, much less that it produced intelligence.

Some survive by having fins, others by wings and others by chemical ware-fare and a myriad of other methods.

None of this proves evolution, nor does it prove that life came about by natural means.

No one is denying that the Universe plus time equals life.

I am. Without God, there wouldn't be any life. Then again, there wouldn't be a universe either...

A great deal of time so it seems! I am unsure of what particular beliefs you hold about time and the two biblical accounts in Genesis of the origins of life.

There is only one account in Genesis about the origins of life.

Are you a seven dayer or a days can be interpreted to be whatever the reader wishes evaluator?

Neither. I believe God created the universe in six days, and then He rested on the seventh -- just like the Bible says.

You live in one of the most religious western societies that exist.

You wouldn't know it by the way people act.

To reject cultural brainwashing it first has to be recognised. You have not achieved that yet.

I have recognized and rejected the cultural brainwashing to which I was subjected. That's why I don't believe in evolution anymore.

Brainwashing does not come up and tell you it is happening that is why it is called brainwashing. Surely the example of ALL other cultures tells you something about this?

It tells me most people are ignorant, but I already knew that.

Jack, you are being dishonest again.

No I'm not. If I lived in an Islamic country I would be an infidel as far as they're concerned.

I asked statistically what you would be and of course the answer would be Muslim.

I'm not just a statistic.

I suppose you realise that ALL religious peoples of ALL the thousands of religions that have or do exist believe in their systems just as fervently as do you and your crowd.

So they say.

Wrong….No I don’t.

Yes you do. You can't hold me to standards from which you yourself are exempt.

You have a fantasy amongst many fantasies and that fantasy is negatively influencing society in a way that is either unrecognisable or not cared about by its adherents.

My beliefs have no negative influence on society. They simply make you uncomfortable. I can live with that.

You are a part and supportive of a loosely held together religious belief system influencing the way children are taught.

They can believe whatever they want to believe. If they choose to reject my beliefs, it doesn't hurt me any.

By being on the Web, you are doing the same.

How are you being any different?

What? They told you the exact way that life happened?

No, they just told me it came about naturally. How many times do I have to tell you I'm not going to fall for the old bait and switch?

You have tested all the other religions then????

I never said I have. The question you asked me referred to Islam specifically. You're trying to pull the old bait and switch again. You must really be desperate to get me with that one.

Last edited:

CapnFungi

OEJ,

My beliefs have no negative influence on society. They simply make
you uncomfortable. I can live with that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know the only reason they make him uncomfortable is becuase he refused to believe that any of his actions may "Damn" him in some way!

One Eyed Jack

The only action that can truly damn someone is the rejection of Salvation. Nobody is good enough to make it to Heaven on their own, you and me included.

D the Atheist

OEJ,

No I wasn't.

I leave it to the reader as you have a block on this one.

And a powerful one at that.

Jack is, amongst the billions of people on the planet that mindlessly believe in an induced delusion, one of the lucky ones that has escaped his belief system being only a delusion. I’m sorry Jack, but does seem improbable. To stop the referral back at myself, I do not accept that delusions are real as there is no evidence to suggest that they are ALL any thing other than delusions.

What is so unbelievable about my beliefs?

I’ll do you snippet type answer here: What is believable about them?

Or it may not be inevitable at all, and only exists because God created it.

Excuse me…This is what we are discussing. I repeat…I do not know how life started and neither do you. A call to a god (Which god I ask?) as the initiator therefore demands proof accepted on a Universal level.

I never said it did, but you haven't even shown that evolution is true, much less that it produced intelligence.

I am a little sad that you do not understand the ramifications of scientific method and how it has become the best by far way of evaluating if statements are true or false. The overwhelming majority of scientists of many different disciplines accept it as true and they are constrained by their peers waiting in the wings to pounce on mistakes.

The so-called Creation Science (Evolution denial as it is more popularly and rightly being called) never seems to publish stuff in reputable science journals to back up the delusion. Why is that so Jack? Is it that mainstream science is evil or something?

I really think you should try to understand science and scientific method a little better.

None of this proves evolution, nor does it prove that life came about by natural means.

I was pointing out that life could exist elsewhere in the Universe and not necessarily be intelligent as we understand the word. As you well, or should well know.

Your words were: “For a time, the universe existed with no life in it” It therefore follows that the Universe plus time equals life. As I said!

There is only one account in Genesis about the origins of life.

There are two contradictory descriptions of creation. You will have to look for yourself.

Neither. I believe God created the universe in six days, and then He rested on the seventh -- just like the Bible says.

So the stars at a greater distance than 6 or 7 thousand light years do not really exist then? Or did this god create an illusion that they exist?

You wouldn't know it by the way people act.

Wrong again. They react accordingly to religious brainwashing. Work it out yourself.

I have recognized and rejected the the cultural brainwashing to which I was subjected. That's why I don't believe in evolution anymore.

Yes…This is one of your beliefs. Just goes to show that beliefs can’t be trusted in.

It tells me most people are ignorant, but I already knew that.

That is a very arrogant thing to say, I suppose you realise. It may be better stated that most people are taught to be ignorant by their culture.

No I'm not. If I lived in an Islamic country I would be an infidel as far as they're concerned.

Am I surprised you are gong against the abundant evidence to the contrary? Heck NO!

I'm not just a statistic.

Neither are the billion or so Muslims in the world.

So they say.

They say they are just as fervent as you, but of course they are wrong, and the evidence for this little gem of a statement is???????????

Yes you do. You can't hold me to standards from which you yourself are exempt.

I am not promoting a way of origins as fact as are you. This is a very important point.

My beliefs have no negative influence on society. They simply make you uncomfortable. I can live with that.

Patriarchal religions impact very negatively on women. Females comprise of half the world’s population. Lesbians, gays, prostitutes and people in need of legal Voluntary Euthanasia get a poor deal from all religions.

You do not make me uncomfortable at all. I just recognise the danger of your induced thoughtlessness about these issues.

They can believe whatever they want to believe. If they choose to reject my beliefs, it doesn't hurt me any.

Children have very malleable brains as is evident as to what has happened to you.

How are you being any different?

I am different as I am not broadcasting personal delusions but rather I am defending science proper as it is the best system humans have yet come up with at ascertaining if statements are true, false or indeterminate.

I never said I have. The question you asked me referred to Islam specifically. You're trying to pull the old bait and switch again. You must really be desperate to get me with that one.

OK...Let’s be pedantic then. How have you tested the Koran and Hadith? I look forward to those tests. And how do you not know that one or some of the other thousands of religions are not correct. Let me guess your answer here: The Bible tells me so.

D the Atheist

CapnFungi

You know the only reason they make him uncomfortable is becuase he refused to believe that any of his actions may "Damn" him in some way!

If you need the carrot and stick of religion to keep you on the straight and narrow then so be it. I do not.

One Eyed Jack

I’ll do you snippet type answer here: What is believable about them?

Obviously I find everything about my beliefs believable, or I wouldn't believe them. But you were the one that said they were unbelievable. Tell me why.

Excuse me…This is what we are discussing. I repeat…I do not know how life started and neither do you. A call to a god (Which god I ask?) as the initiator therefore demands proof accepted on a Universal level.

You'll get it on Judgement Day. And on that day, you'll bend your knee and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Boy, are you gonna hate that.

I am a little sad that you do not understand the ramifications of scientific method and how it has become the best by far way of evaluating if statements are true or false.

I understand all that. I used to believe in evolution and rejected it for scientific reasons.

The overwhelming majority of scientists of many different disciplines accept it as true and they are constrained by their peers waiting in the wings to pounce on mistakes.

Now who's making the appeal to authority argument? You've just backed yourself into a corner, Dave.

The so-called Creation Science (Evolution denial as it is more popularly and rightly being called) never seems to publish stuff in reputable science journals to back up the delusion.

It's not a delusion.

Why is that so Jack?

Because mainstream scientific journals refuse to publish articles written by creationists. It's not for a lack of creationist scientists, nor is it for a lack of articles.

I really think you should try to understand science and scientific method a little better.

I understand science and the scientific method quite well.

I was pointing out that life could exist elsewhere in the Universe and not necessarily be intelligent as we understand the word. As you well, or should well know.

You were trying to use intelligence as proof of evolution.

Your words were: “For a time, the universe existed with no life in it” It therefore follows that the Universe plus time equals life. As I said!

The universe plus time only equals the universe plus time. There's no guarantee that just these two ingredients would produce life.

There are two contradictory descriptions of creation. You will have to look for yourself.

No there aren't. There's the general overview of the Creation week given in chapter one of Genesis, and a more detailed account of what took place on the sixth day given in chapter two. They're both the same account, however.

So the stars at a greater distance than 6 or 7 thousand light years do not really exist then? Or did this god create an illusion that they exist?

No, they really exist. This isn't a problem when you consider general relativity, but that's probably a bit over your head. There isn't a single argument you can bring up against creation that I haven't already considered. But keep trying if you'd like.

Wrong again.

I'm the one that lives here, and I know how people here act. You don't.

That is a very arrogant thing to say, I suppose you realise. It may be better stated that most people are taught to be ignorant by their culture.

Either way, they're still ignorant. I've always been a non-conformist by nature.

I am not promoting a way of origins as fact as are you. This is a very important point.

But you are by saying that life is inevitable.

Patriarchal religions impact very negatively on women.

How so?

Females comprise of half the world’s population.

Actually they comprise more than that. And many of them are Christian. Apparently they're not feeling too much of a negative impact.

You do not make me uncomfortable at all.

Sure I don't...

Children have very malleable brains as is evident as to what has happened to you.

I made up my own mind. Nobody made it up for me.

I am different as I am not broadcasting personal delusions

I'd disagree with that statement.

but rather I am defending science proper as it is the best system humans have yet come up with at ascertaining if statements are true, false or indeterminate.

I have no problem with science.

OK...Let’s be pedantic then. How have you tested the Koran and Hadith?

I've seen statements that are blatantly untrue and scientifically wrong.

I look forward to those tests.

Why, do you think Islam is true?

And how do you not know that one or some of the other thousands of religions are not correct.

None that I've studied strike me as believable. What about you?

flash

BANNED
Banned
Can someone pleeeeaaassssseeeee explain to Bob Enyart what a "God of the Gaps" argument is and tell him to stop making them.

Zakath has been beaten by exhaustion:

Bob:Makes God of the Gaps argument
Zakath: That is a God of the Gaps argument.
Zakath: That is a God of the Gaps argument

....and so on....

ex_fundy

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack You'll get it on Judgement Day. And on that day, you'll bend your knee and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Is that gonna affect me negatively too? I mean, I said the sinners prayer, was baptized, santified, redeemed by the blood, will I still get into heaven? Or is salavation based on "right doctrine" and since I no longer hold it, I'm out in the cold?
I used to believe in evolution and rejected it for scientific reasons.
At what age? After acquiring what level of science training? I consider these important questions because of the many "former atheists" I met in fundamentalism that became believers while still in the teens. I no longer consider those individuals to have made well informed decisions, as they were far too young to have significant knowledge about the many options.
Now who's making the appeal to authority argument? You've just backed yourself into a corner, Dave.
You really should read up on your logical fallacies. It's not an appeal to authority fallacy when you are referring to someone that is "really" an authority. Bob is hardly an authority on the use of probability.
Why, do you think Islam is true?
One more non-answer. Jack, if you are ignorant of Islam then admit it. If not, tell everyone why you rejected it.

Last edited:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
News Flash...

News Flash...

Flash wrote:
"Can someone pleeeeaaassssseeeee explain to Bob Enyart what a "God of the Gaps" argument is and tell him to stop making them.
Zakath has been beaten by exhaustion:
Zakath: That is a God of the Gaps argument.
...and so on...."

Flash, perhaps you can have the honor of being the very first unbeliever on TOL to even identify what my rebuttal was to the God of the Gaps claim. Of course, I expect unbelievers to disagree with my argument. But it will be quite a kick to hear even just one of you actually acknowledge it, and then try to refute it. Consider yourself cordially invited! Even more extraordinary, would be for you to respond to it in a post to Knight for use in the composite atheist 10th round post. BTW, it should be easy to find: it's in my fifth round post, labeled "God of the Gaps." -Bob

drbrumley

Atheists, agnostics, evolutionists, and false prophets sure do have some big words against the God of the Bible, the true God. A lot of them come to this site and even link to us with derogatory remarks which is fine--they know they need Jesus, that's why they keep coming here. They know hell ain't no fairy tale.
Atheists say, "There is no god," like they know what exists in every speck of the universe. The Bible says, "The FOOL hath said in his heart, 'There is no God'." In actuality, there is no such thing as a "real atheist". Here's an illustration which can be used on any atheist.

Ask him if he knows every single fact about every manmade system just on this earth--criminal law, civil law, heart surgery, biology, teaching, being a garbage man, computer programming, ants, engineering, woodcutting, business, every person's social security number by heart, etc. He will have to tell you no, he doesn't know every single fact.

Ask him what percentage he knows of all the knowledge to be known in the entire known universe like what is happening in the core of Mars--right now. What is the temperature of that star that hubble is about to approach, etc. He'll have to tell you he knows practically 0% of the knowledge to be known in the entire universe. I then say, "So in other words you know practically nothing." The answer must be yes.

There is no such thing as an atheist because no human being knows everything and has all knowledge as we've seen above. Neither can any person be everywhere at the same time. For a person to be able to confidently say, "There is no God," he'd have to know EVERYTHING that existed EVERYWHERE--and no human being fits that bill. There is no atheist. At the very BEST a person can say, "I'm agnostic" although this is not true either...

I submit to you in accordance with the word of God (Romans chapter 1) that the big talkers and blasphemers know that God is real and they know that their day of judgment is coming. THAT is why they call themselves atheists--they are trying to convince themselves that that day of judgement will not come--the ostrich-head-in-the-sand syndrome. They would rather believe that a monkey is they daddy and a fly they cousin than give the reverence to God and Him alone. Plugging up your ears will not stay the wrath of God against you. When you get thrown in hell you will be without excuse and it will be too late to get it right with Jesus. It's in this life you get it right or never. Turn or Burn. Repent or Perish

D the Atheist

Jack dear fellow,

I really have been answering you just to show others how easy (Unbelievably easy) that process can be accomplished.

You are little different from many fundamentalists I have come across in life and maybe one day you will look back on your writings and see the dubious methods you employ. You cannot go on explaining this away to yourself by internal references to fighting Satan, or I feel I am right or some other cunning ploy.

You duck and weave and select that which you wish to answer and highlight that which is unimportant and give the general uniformed reader the idea that you are valiantly defending a god’s word and science all in one.

Many brainwashed people are unaware of the principle that any argument, no matter how good, can be met with a counter argument, if psychology instead of credible reasoning is employed.(See above post by drbrumly as a fine example of rhetorical nonsense) That is one of the wonders of scientific method. It gets rid of the trash. And it is the real reason the Creation Science movement (Evolutionary Denial as it is better described) publishes nought in reputable scientific journals.

By the way. You say I am calling to authority when I praise scientific method. If you really understood scientific method, as apparently you do not, you would never have said that. There is no better way to discover the workings of nature that comes anywhere near it. This is your mental Achilles Heel.

I will comment on the ridiculous statement that I do not understand General Relativity as well as yourself because of the problem for the Creation Science Movement in that the stars (And that is most of them) are at a greater than 6 or 7 thousand light years distance. Light travels at the speed of light (Duh!) from any given standpoint in the known Universe. General Relativity, as the word implies is used in reference to this fact concerning bodies/particles in motion, especially when influenced by gravity. The unknowns about GR remain unknown excepting in the fantasy land of Evolution Denial. Most of the stars in the Universe are many thousands up to billions of light years away. Mainstream science, using scientific method is in complete agreement about this point. In fact, the latest calculation makes the furtherest star/galaxy/proto-galaxy at around 12 billion light years. That is 12 billion earth years the light has been travelling to get to Earth which makes the beginning of its journey many billions of years before our own Sun kicked into ignition. Only a deluded thinker would deny all this.

Anybody that falls for your General Relativity rubbish is really a mindless robot and is to be pitied as such. It is most unfair that you increase their level of ignorance on purpose or are you just willingly ignorant yourself?

Anyway, I have shown you are just an intellectual puppy and I hope others take note. You will carry on and on thinking that you must be right no-matter what the evidence is in opposition. You have made this your life plan and have staked everything on it. Sorry, but the all important evidence states very strongly that you have picked the wrong horse. You have only one life and that is here and now and I suggest you live it with that in mind. Instead of promoting division in humanity by heroic support of your particular religion you may one day find that we are all in the same boat heading for total annihilation. I hope so, for then you may understand that true happiness is only possible if it is shared equally and that can only be achieved by cooperation with ALL people.

Your delusion is not true happiness and will not lead to such a state for you or anyone else. Delusions temporarily satiate by creating a false bliss but there is nothing permanent about them as many people can testify to. But it is your life to waste.

As I say, you are a breeze to answer but it still takes up too much time of real life. It has been fun and I hope I have helped you in some small way. No hard feelings.

:wave:

Cheers and Bright’s rule OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.