ECT barna.org polls

radind

Have the results of the Barna polls already been discussed on this forum?

The barna.org polls show ~ 10% in USA with a Biblical worldview . It seems to me that the 70% typically shown as attending church are like the German Christians( Lutheran) in 1930’s with ‘cheap grace’ as defined by Bonhoeffer( or ‘easy believism’ as defined by MacArthur in the USA).

In my view secularism has replaced traditional Christianity as the majority religion in this country. The fact that Secular Humanists deny being in a religion makes no difference operationally in practice. It is what you do that counts , not what you say. Karl Popper( agnostic) said that what you believe is essentially your religion.

radind

I need to make it clear that I do not agree with Popper’s personal religious views. However I do respect much of his work in epistemology and it is interesting to see Popper’s perspective on 'faith( which he chose to call religion)'.
http://catallaxyfiles.com/2015/07/14/karl-popper-on-religion-science-and-toleration/
… "Popper’s views on religion
It is necessary to make it quite clear that I am speaking here about religion in a very general way. Although I always have Christianity in mind, I want to speak in sufficiently general terms to include all other religions and especially religions like Buddhism, Islam or Judaism. Everybody agrees that these are religions. I shall…extend the term even further. He suggested that a person can be considered religious if he or she has some faith that provides a basis for practical living, in the manner of people who appeal to an orthodox religious faith to guide their moral principles, their actions and their proposals for social improvement. He insisted that science has no answers in the search for these principles, though of course science and technology become all-important once we have decided on our aims. By invoking the idea that we are all motivated by some kind of faith (which he chose to call our religion) he hoped to get over the dispute between the militant atheists (who he regarded as proponents of the religion of atheism) and people of orthodox religious beliefs. He wanted to get past the issue “Have you a religion or not” to address the question “What are the principles of your religion?” – “Is it a good religion or a bad religion?””

Interplanner

If you read Schaeffer's HE IS THERE AND HE IS NOT SILENT you will also see that there are only a few fundamental positions on questions that matter. Secular humanism is what has seemed to be the answer since the West gave up on reasons. Part of that act of giving up was to partition religion into a realm where reasons don't matter. These people are called 'religious' by the supposedly unreligious--who think they have reasons.

radind

If you read Schaeffer's HE IS THERE AND HE IS NOT SILENT you will also see that there are only a few fundamental positions on questions that matter. Secular humanism is what has seemed to be the answer since the West gave up on reasons. Part of that act of giving up was to partition religion into a realm where reasons don't matter. These people are called 'religious' by the supposedly unreligious--who think they have reasons.

Schaeffer is one of my favorites. The reason I mentioned Popper is that he was a Secular Humanist who recognized that everyone(including atheists) has a religion, even if they refuse to admit they have a religion.
In my opinion , we are in a religious war with Secular Humanism that now dominates US thought.