ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If we edit out Dave's notes, we come to see what Schaeffer was saying:

Being Presbyterian? You bet your sweet bippy. You can't remold a Presbyterian into an open theist.

My additions complete, logically and grammatically, what Schaeffer was saying. The Trinity experiences sequence of activity in love, communication, and in the creation of the world, and that's exactly what Schaeffer was saying. I confirmed that with his daughter, Debbie and son in law, Udo Middleman. I went to meetings they held in New York, where I live. Francis Schaeffer died in 1984, the book, and now a theology, called the openness of God did not come until 1994. The Schaeffer's were not part of the controversy that we have today but they still knew the problems they would have within their denomination if they had been.

http://www.dynamicfreetheism.com/Today.html

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
...He talked to Adam, He talked to Cain......

Hi Pam :box:

I believe that Cain was a believer when God talked to him. Adam is more complex, but without getting into specific details, I do not believe God ever directly spoke to unbelievers. (God spoke to Saul, who became Paul, who then became a believer, but I can't think of any example where God spoke to an unbeliever, and they remained an unbeliever)

How as a Calvinist can you on one hand believe that man is so spiritually dead, totally depraved, and incapable of making the decision to believe, but on the other hand believe that God was directly communicating with such incapable, totally depraved, spiritually dead people?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Hello Dave:

I checked out your website. Looks like you have spent a lot of time on it.

This caught my attention:
.....Some will ask how it is that God can tell us what will happen in the future if he can not see it. The answer is, God is all powerful and therefore can cause any event he wants to take place. Again, one may ask, isn't God also all knowing, which should include knowledge of all future events. The answer is that God made the world finite and the future does not exist as something that can be known as an actuality. In Biblical prophecy, God has told us about the future events he will cause to happen and the effects they will have when he judges the world.

So basically what you are saying is this: (let’s use a football game as an analogy)

The refs are God. Army is playing Navy. God has determined Army to win, and told everyone through prophecy that Army will win. God lets the game begin, and lets each team do what they want (free will). However, Navy scores so the refs have to start calling some penalties so Army can score. Navy scores again, so the refs have to call even more penalties so Army can score. Finally the refs call enough penalties against Navy so that Army eventually wins the game, and all of God’s prophecies play out.

Thus we have Dynamic Free Theism :bang:

Just like Dynamic Free Theism, the refs didn’t know everything ahead of time. They didn’t know every detail of every play. They didn’t know the final score. They didn’t know who would be injured. They didn’t know who would win the coin toss. They didn’t know what type of weather there would be at kickoff, but they did make sure Army beat Navy.

(did you happen to notice that the refs had to compromise their integrity in order to fix the game?)

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If we edit out Dave's notes, we come to see what Schaeffer was saying:

Being Presbyterian? You bet your sweet bippy. You can't remold a Presbyterian into an open theist.

The quote does not sound like 'eternal now'.

I think being a godly, logical thinker would trump denominational background. I swim against the Arminianism/SFK of my conservative denomination.

Can't remold? Does not hurt to try (you are my pet project:shocked:)?:think:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
From Hilston
Decretive will

Prescriptive will

Your turn, reveal, according to these that it is incompatible (please show your work).

Examples? We cannot resist God's will to send a Savior and for Him to return for His Church after judging the nations.

We can resist His will for our individual salvation, morality, etc.

How does this support compatibilism? It sounds like Open Theism.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Link please? (the best I can tell is that his listed scriptures fall flat).

Scandalous? Can be, especially as you assert. It must be provable like any good scientist has done for us in the past in correcting. Proof IS in the pudding. These ideas have been soundly refuted several times in history now.

It appears his old site is gone, so I don't know if it is on the new site (verses).

www.gregboyd.org

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
...He talked to Adam, He talked to Cain......
SO you're saying that Adam and Cain didn't believe in God?

Don't know who this dude is, but he asks a good question to open theists. (the video is a little poor, but the audio is good)

Question for Open Theists
In order to present a complete response I would need a transcript of the audio.

I can say that the reference to God's wing is not an anthropomorphism, because wings are a physical animal trait, not a physical human trait.

Also, the Bible clearly states that God is spirit, and therefore not physical. At least not in the corporeal sense. However, He has appeared as such, and even manifested as such in Christ. And Christ still has His physical body.

I will also say that God certainly has a spiritual body. But saying that someone has a hand in a situation is not literal. Not even when speaking of humans. It's a figure of speech. God having His hand upon the Israelites falls into this category. However, to say the eyes of God are upon us is different. While that certain phrase [I'm watching you, etc.] may not always it is at times. God has eyes. End of story.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Let's hear you blather for a bit.
The issue is how God obtained the knowledge. And there are only two ways for that to happen. Either He planned it, and is in complete control [Calvinism Spectrum] or it already happened [Timelessness, Eternal Now, Arminianism Spectrum].

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Who said it was arbitrary? Just because you or I wouldn't know is no indication of arbitrary. Where do you get these ideas? If you persist stubbornly-obtusely, it is no wonder you are anti-Calvinist. I believe you reject a fabrication in your own mind's eye.

And WHAT???

Read these verses again!

How can you possibly say this is not about spiritual regeneration when it is 'Spiritual' and 'changed' right there in the text?

Sometimes your Calvinist inoculation can make you so thick.

How could you possibly say this to Nang?

It drips honey-coated irony.

If we were able to resist it, we'd all be lost. God crafts toward us a grace that I believe is truly irresistible. Whatever reason, power, love, glory, this grace is irresistible. I find the oxymoron statement not only offensive, but incredibly obtuse with anti-calvinist cataracts.

What are possible reasons for God to save some, but damn others that He could save if He wanted to?

So far, I have heard about mystery, antimony, etc.

Some have said it is to demonstrate God's attributes of justice and mercy. There is no chance that all would believe, so there would have been unbelievers to damn without a decree. The cross is also sufficient to demonstrate both attributes, regardless what individuals do.

Others say it is for God's glory since no one deserves to be saved (true). Why person x vs y (arbitary...huh? ARBITRARY!) or why more damned than saved?!

Can you think of a good reason that does not impugn God's character and ways as to why x is saved and y is damned? I assume you buy into unconditional election (which necessitates double predestination, as much as it makes you guys squirm to admit it).

Back to Olson...I think his point stands...Satan wants all men to be damned; your view of God has Him wanting some men to be damned...not a real difference in character, just quantity?!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The issue is how God obtained the knowledge. And there are only two ways for that to happen. Either He planned it, and is in complete control [Calvinism Spectrum] or it already happened [Timelessness, Eternal Now, Arminianism Spectrum].

So? I have said the same thing over and over. I am a proponent of the two motifs of Open Theism.

The dude in the video is me in my younger days, undercover, playing devil's advocate against OT.

I did not watch the video, but OT's recognize figurative language. We also take passages at face value when the context warrants it. There is a big difference between the figure of speech of wings vs God changing his mind, etc. (Sanders does a good job of anthropomorphisms/anthropopathisms in 'The God who risks' early chapters).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So? I have said the same thing over and over. I am a proponent of the two motifs of Open Theism.

The dude in the video is me in my younger days, undercover, playing devil's advocate against OT.

I did not watch the video, but OT's recognize figurative language. We also take passages at face value when the context warrants it. There is a big difference between the figure of speech of wings vs God changing his mind, etc. (Sanders does a good job of anthropomorphisms/anthropopathisms in 'The God who risks' early chapters).
I think you meant this to be in reply to someone/thing else.

Did you happen to catch the part where he calls out Jesse Morrell?
Yeah.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We also take passages at face value when the context warrants it.

This is the point of the dude's video.

How can OVT’s on one hand say yes to anthropomorphisms, and then say no anthropopathisms? How is this not arbitrary? Or if you do acknowledge some anthropomorphisms, then how do you distinguish when and when not to?

P.S. Godrulz, is there anyway you could start referring to open theists by calling them OV, or OVT instead of OT? OT is Old Testament. Thanks

godrulz

Hall of Fame
This is the point of the dude's video.

How can OVT’s on one hand say yes to anthropomorphisms, and then say no anthropopathisms? How is this not arbitrary? Or if you do acknowledge some anthropomorphisms, then how do you distinguish when and when not to?

P.S. Godrulz, is there anyway you could start referring to open theists by calling them OV, or OVT instead of OT? OT is Old Testament. Thanks

Like my OT, context determines what is figurative or literal. OV used to be a beer in Canada, but keep reminding me (I agree with your concern). This is why we need hermeneutics and must look at each passage on its own merits.

Allegory, types, figures of speech, etc. all have unique issues.

We know that God cannot have literal wings based on other relevant verses. However, passages that show God changing His mind can be taken at face value, even if they contradict traditional bias (you assume what God must be like, but it could be Platonic, not biblical). What does it mean if not what it says? How else could God convey that He changes His mind as a personal being other than what He said? In your view, there would be no way for God to communicate the opposite of your conclusion, so you have a problem. I am not sure if you get that, but Sanders and Boyd rightly expand on this issue. There are credible answers, so keep open.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hello Dave:

I checked out your website. Looks like you have spent a lot of time on it.

This caught my attention:

So basically what you are saying is this: (let’s use a football game as an analogy)

The refs are God. Army is playing Navy. God has determined Army to win, and told everyone through prophecy that Army will win. God lets the game begin, and lets each team do what they want (free will). However, Navy scores so the refs have to start calling some penalties so Army can score. Navy scores again, so the refs have to call even more penalties so Army can score. Finally the refs call enough penalties against Navy so that Army eventually wins the game, and all of God’s prophecies play out.

Thus we have Dynamic Free Theism

Just like Dynamic Free Theism, the refs didn’t know everything ahead of time. They didn’t know every detail of every play. They didn’t know the final score. They didn’t know who would be injured. They didn’t know who would win the coin toss. They didn’t know what type of weather there would be at kickoff, but they did make sure Army beat Navy.

(did you happen to notice that the refs had to compromise their integrity in order to fix the game?)

Not bad. But calling the refs God will not do, false analogy. God has still made the call but leave the refs as refs. When or if God causes someone to do something, call a penalty, the ref at that moment is not "free". Just as Pharaoh was not free when God "hardened" his heart. God does not compromise his integrity as long as he told Navy ahead of time that they would not win.

--Dave

Lon

My additions complete, logically and grammatically, what Schaeffer was saying. The Trinity experiences sequence of activity in love, communication, and in the creation of the world, and that's exactly what Schaeffer was saying. I confirmed that with his daughter, Debbie and son in law, Udo Middleman. I went to meetings they held in New York, where I live. Francis Schaeffer died in 1984, the book, and now a theology, called the openness of God did not come until 1994. The Schaeffer's were not part of the controversy that we have today but they still knew the problems they would have within their denomination if they had been.

http://www.dynamicfreetheism.com/Today.html

I believe your interpolation suppositional (Calvinists believe in a relational God). Schaeffer was a Calvinist Infra/compatible.. You do agree with that don't you?

Lon

Examples? We cannot resist God's will to send a Savior and for Him to return for His Church after judging the nations.

We can resist His will for our individual salvation, morality, etc.

How does this support compatibilism? It sounds like Open Theism.

I know, which is why I say you often have anti-blinders on. You would agree more than disagree with much of Calvinism if you removed the blinders.