Any universalists on TOL?

musterion

Universalism (more correctly, universal salvationism) is the belief that every human being that has ever lived will eventually be forgiven, saved, redeemed, justified, made right with God, no matter what they did or did not believe about Him during this life. Some go as far as to say that even Satan will be restored to God.

That raises a question that I don't see any U's trying hard to answer:

It is a fact of the Bible that without faith it is impossible to please God. And not just nebulous "faith" generally, but faith in precisely what He said He expects someone to believe. That has been true from the beginning.

Q. Since it is impossible to please Him without faith, how do all unbelievers, some of whom died willfully rejecting and publicizing their hatred for Christ, get saved after death?

Take any one of the several 18th and 19th century philosophers who were flat-out, Christ-hating atheists. How does such a man, now dead, end up saved?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Hitler and Stalin all by themselves ought to be enough to nail the coffin of universalism shut. Some universalists, probably in direct response to the Hitler and Stalin argument, invoke a purgatory-like post-death purification in which even the most evil monsters of history get to wash up before entering the pearly gates. :rolleyes:

musterion

Hitler and Stalin all by themselves ought to be enough to nail the coffin of universalism shut. Some universalists, probably in direct response to the Hitler and Stalin argument, invoke a purgatory-like post-death purification in which even the most evil monsters of history get to wash up before entering the pearly gates. :rolleyes:

So they borrow from your church.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
don't mormons have a form of universalism?

seems to me I heard that they pray for the dead

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
How does such a man, now dead, end up saved?

They are restored to life and we teach them God's word, the Bible.

Those who choose to believe in the salvation offered through Jesus Christ will live, those who don't, won't.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Take any one of the several 18th and 19th century philosophers who were flat-out, Christ-hating atheists. How does such a man, now dead, end up saved?

Those who choose to believe in the salvation offered through Jesus Christ will live, those who don't, won't.

they knew the word of God in life and chose to reject it

Reactions: Lon

Eagles Wings

The OP is talking about someone who is already six feet under.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Some go as far as to say that even Satan will be restored to God.

And one person goes so far as to say: "You defiled your sanctuaries by the multitude of your iniquities, by the iniquity of your trading, therefore I brought fire from your midst - it devoured you and I turned you to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all who saw you. All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you, you have become a horror and shall be no more forever." (Ezekiel 28:18-19)

So I guess it depends on whom you choose to believe.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
they knew the word of God in life and chose to reject it

Big deal.

"And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him — the word that I have spoken will judge him in the Last Day." (John 12;47-48)

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
41So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.

42I knew that You always hear Me, but I say this for the benefit of the people standing here, so they may believe that You sent Me.”

43After Jesus had said this, He called out in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”…

33When they came to the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on His right and the other on His left.

34Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up His garments by casting lots.

35The people stood watching, and the rulers sneered at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.”…

Interesting he didn't add not my will but yours.......:nono::think:

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think once a person physically dies in unbelief, there is no second chance.

There is no second chance. However the Spirit is calling a few to work with Christ in his kingdom.

The rest will be called in the second resurrection.

If you don't believe what the Father says about the Last Day then the kingdom may not be for you.

Zeke

So the lamb slain before the foundation of the world perverted into a carnal event 2000 years ago didnt have hitlers and all those baddies in mind including the manifest destiny doctrine that genicided the native people here yet divine love demands you must forgive all trespasses to be free and will all be saved like who ?God you all claim to follow Superstitiously that is.