And the blowback continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
L.L. Bean became the latest retailer to announce that it will no longer sell guns or ammunition to customers younger than 21.

In response to a tweet from one consumer asking the outdoors retailer to change its policy, the Maine-based retailer replied late Thursday, "In the wake of this shooting we have reviewed our policy on firearm sales, and we will no longer be selling guns or ammunition to anyone under the age of 21."

It's the fourth high-profile retailer to change its policy on gun sales to younger customers in the wake of the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting last month.

On Wednesday Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS), the nation's largest sporting goods retailer, and Walmart (WMT), the nation's largest retailer, announced new their age restrictions. Dick's also said it would no longer sell assault-style rilfes to anyone at its stores. Kroger (KR), the nation's largest grocer, announced Thursday it would raise the age for weapon purchases at its Fred Meyer general merchandise stores.

Walmart had already dropped sales of those assault-style weapons in 2015.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/02/new...-purchases/index.html?iid=surge-story-summary

glorydaz

Dick's Sporting Goods Won't Sell Assault-Style Rifles in Wake of Florida High School Shooting
http://fortune.com/2018/02/28/dicks-sporting-goods-guns/

I think it's a good thing. We have too many people selling guns, which makes it easier for them to get into the wrong hands.

Personally, I think kids stay stupid much longer in this day and age. The stupids outnumber the smarts. They don't call it the "Dumbing down of America" for nothing.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
From your link:

Fox News host Tucker Carlson slammed President Trump for calling this week to confiscate guns without due process as a means of combatting gun violence.

“Imagine if Barack Obama had said that? ‘Just ignore due process and confiscating guns.’ Obama would have been denounced as a dictator,” Carlson said on Thursday. “Congress would be talking impeachment right now. Someone would be muttering about secession.”

Trump on Wednesday voiced support for immediately confiscating guns from individuals deemed too dangerous, even if it violated due process rights.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said during a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

Vice President Pence pushed back on his remarks, saying the proper procedure of securing court orders was essential so "no one's rights are trampled."

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court," Trump responded.

When are his enablers going to realize he has no idea what he's doing, no principles other than what's in it for him, and no appreciation of what America is about?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
American opinion about the National Rifle Association has taken a negative turn - and that change has taken place just in the last week. Ever since a Gallup Poll in 1989 found a majority of Americans expressed positive opinion about the organization, American opinion has been either favorable or closely divided about the NRA, with only occasional exceptions.

For the first time in Economist/YouGov poll history, significantly more Americans express a negative opinion of the National Rifle Association than a positive one. Even after the mass shooting in Las Vegas last fall, overall opinion remained narrowly positive. Immediately after the 2012 shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, opinion was divided.

Overall, positive sentiments remain at the same level as a week ago, immediately after the school shootings in Parkland, Florida. They are not much lower than they were after the shootings in Las Vegas and Newtown. But unfavorable opinion has jumped. Much of that change has come from political independents. Last week, independents were divided 34% favorable towards the NRA and 32% unfavorable. This week, independents clearly are negative: 41% view the NRA unfavorably, while just 30% are favorable.
https://today.yougov.com/news/2018/02/28/public-turns-negative-towards-nra/

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Can someone explain to me about the not selling to under 21 thing?
How does that work? If you can't refuse cake to Gays how do I refuse guns to under 21s?

Same way you refuse alcohol to under 21s. Might be interesting to see how that affected DWI, auto accident, and highway death numbers. I've heard that it worked, but I haven't seen a good study yet.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I think it's a good thing. We have too many people selling guns, which makes it easier for them to get into the wrong hands.

Personally, I think kids stay stupid much longer in this day and age. The stupids outnumber the smarts. They don't call it the "Dumbing down of America" for nothing.

Some of them, anyway...
trumpjr2.png

john w

Hall of Fame
Hey, Babbs-the Dow is "non plummetting," as of now!! Do you attribute that to gun legislation? Or, is it perhaps due to the Super Bowl theory? Unpack it for us, would you?

musterion

Someone needs to open a gun shop that sells specifically (but not exclusively) to women and homosexuals and minorities. Play up that angle in the advertising, offer discounts, make no apologies for it. Watch what happens.

john w

Hall of Fame
Someone needs to open a gun shop that sells specifically (but not exclusively) to women and homosexuals and minorities. Play up that angle in the advertising, offer discounts, make no apologies for it. Watch what happens.

Wouldn't hurt if you targeted those that walk with a club foot, either.

john w

Hall of Fame
Update, Babbs: The Dow is "un plummetting" 360 points!!!Analysts are attributing it to no Trump jokes, at the Oscars last night.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Hey, Babbs-the Dow is "non plummetting," as of now!!

Yep. Trump backed off from his position:

Dow closes 336 points higher as trade-war worries ease
Trump appeared to be opening the door for negotiations on tariffs on Monday.

Trump appeared to be opening the door for negotiations on tariffs. In a series of tweets Monday morning, Trump said: "Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed," adding that "Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S. They have not done what needs to be done."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/05/us-stock-futures-dow-data-trump-and-politics-on-the-agenda.html

Apparently, an adult had a talk with him and explained things.

Do you attribute that to gun legislation?

I attribute it to Trump walking his dumb idea back a bit.

john w

Hall of Fame

Trump appeared to be opening the door for negotiations on tariffs. In a series of tweets Monday morning, Trump said: "Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed," adding that "Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S. They have not done what needs to be done."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/05/us-stock-futures-dow-data-trump-and-politics-on-the-agenda.html

Right. How do you know "the market," which is merely a group of people, in a market place, buying stocks from each other, selling stocks to each other, went up due to "trade-war worries ease.Trump appeared to be opening the door for negotiations on tariffs on Monday?" You asked these people, "the market?"

Most Americans are so naive. My evidence? You.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame

Although the market, as measured by the Dow, "un plummeted" 336.70 points, it pulled back from an intra day high of 24,961, =+422.94 points. What do attribute this 86.24 point "plummet," "crash," from the intra day high?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Right. How do you know "the market," which is merely a group of people, in a market place, buying stocks from each other, selling stocks to each other, went up due to "trade-war worries ease.Trump appeared to be opening the door for negotiations on tariffs on Monday?" You asked these people, "the market?"

Seems to be the conclusion of market analysts. Aren't you a market analyst? How is it you didn't get that?

Most Americans are so naive.

Some are. I'm just observing the facts. Trump announces punishing tariffs, and the market tumbles. He backs off on the idea, and the market recovers. Market analysts conclude that Trump's behavior is the reason.

Stocks plummeted Thursday immediately after the Trump administration’s move to impose 25% tariffs on imported steel and 10% tariffs on aluminum to protect U.S. jobs in those industries.
http://time.com/money/5182211/why-stock-market-is-plunging-trump-tariff/

Status
Not open for further replies.