An Excellent Example of Preterism

Jerry Shugart

In order to show the errors of Preterism let us first look at these words of Paul and then see what the Preterists say about it:

"And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins" (Ro.11:26-27).​

Preterist Dr. Joel McDurmon says this:

"How in the world, then, can Paul go on later to say that “All Israel will be saved” (11:26)? All Israel? It is clear from the unity of the argument in chapters 9 through 11 that “Israel” in 11:26 cannot mean all ethnic physical Israel, but must refer to elect Israel."

This is easily proven to be false when we look at the Covenant of which Paul spoke at Romans 11:27:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more"
(Jer.31:31-34).​

In this passage we can see that the "fathers" of both the house of Israel and the house of Judah are the ethnic, physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Their "fathers" broke the LORD's covenant and it was the physical descendants of Jacob who did that.

So these verses prove that sometime in the FUTURE all of the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will be saved.

Since the Preterists have no place in their eschatolgy for the fulfillment of Jeremiah 31:31-34 they are forced to change the plain meaning of what is said in that passage. Then they are forced to change the meaning in regard to what Paul said at Romans 11:26-27.

Last edited:

balut55

sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, othat he might bring us to God, being put to death pin the flesh but made alive qin the spirit, 19 in which3 he went and qproclaimed4 to the spirits in prison, 20 because5 they formerly did not obey, rwhen God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, swhile the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, teight persons, were brought safely through water. 21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, unow saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but vas an appeal to God for a good conscience, wthrough the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and xis at the right hand of God, ywith angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

balut55

Answer: The “spirits in prison” are mentioned in the context of what Jesus did in the time between His death and resurrection. First Peter 3:18–20 says, “He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits—to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.” Note that Jesus’ body was dead and awaiting resurrection, but He was spiritually alive during the time that He visited the spirits in prison. As background, please read our article on “Where was Jesus for the three days between His death and resurrection?”

balut55

Our Lord yielded His spirit to the Father, died physically, and entered paradise (Luke 23:43). At some time between His death and resurrection, Jesus also visited a place where He delivered a message to spirit beings (probably fallen angels; see Jude 1:6); these beings were somehow related to the period before the flood in Noah’s time (1 Peter 3:20). Peter does not tell us what Jesus proclaimed to the imprisoned spirits, but it could not be a message of redemption since angels cannot be saved (Hebrews 2:16). It was probably a declaration of victory over Satan and his hosts (1 Peter 3:22; Colossians 2:15). Ephesians 4:8–10 also seems to give a clue regarding Jesus’ activities in the time between His death and resurrection. Quoting Psalm 68:18, Paul says about Christ, “when he ascended on high, he took many captives” (Ephesians 4:8). The ESV puts it that Christ “led a host of captives.” The reference seems to be that, in paradise, Jesus gathered all the redeemed who were there and took them to their permanent dwelling in heaven.

balut55

Be careful. We don't know all of God's activities. He works in mysterious ways. I would cover any Jewish hate or questioning or misgivings about Jewish people with the blood of Jesus by asking for forgiveness.

balut55

Ok. Let me start with a question that has been in my mind and it really bothers me. All Jewish peoples that died before the new covenant maybe have a second chance under the new covenant they did not have a chance at being saved by grace. That all. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think it was fair. The Jewish people aren't exactly accepting the message after the new covenant. But it just seems to me that it was very difficult to follow the law. Please don't be too hard on me. I'm just trying to learn from you guys.