ECT A Study Principle OFTEN Overlooked

Danoh

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized. 3:24 For John was not yet cast into prison. 3:25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 3:26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

Mark 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

Often, one part of a passage; will shed light on the intended sense of another part of said same passage.

Case in point...

In the above passage from Mark 1, the intended sense, or meaning of "confessing their sins" is already given as referring to "all were baptized of him in the river of Jordan..."

In other words, an Israelite's very submission to this symbolic Israelite water purification ritual, constituted an act of confession before their nation that such were in agreement with the God of their fathers, that He was right; that their nation had sinned against the God of their fathers.

In contrast...

Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

The principle is also obvious in verse 11 and 12 immediately above.

The intended sense of verse 11's "with fire" is identified in verse 12, as referring to verse 7's pending wrath of the Lord - "Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

In the first example, the same passage shed light on its' intended sense.

In the second, the passage immediately following a passage after it; revealed it its' intended meaning, or sense.

In the following, we have two passages wherein the intended sense is given both before and after, what the passage is declaring - all within the same passage.

Luke 9:45 But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

In the above, the sense of "hid from them" is twice identified (both before, and after) as referring to the fact that "they understood not" - that "they perceived it not."

Here it is again.

Luke 18:34 And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.

In other words, the intended sense of what the Lord had meant when He'd said what He's said to them, was not understood by them.

They'd failed to perceive; to get, His intended sense.

It was there, right in front of them, and yet; hid from them, due to bias in place of belief...on their part.

As when one has looked for one's keys in a place one then swears said keys are not to be found, only to have someone not blinded by one's momentary blindness find said keys in that very place.

Note...

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

In other words, it's as if He was saying - "You see this passage here; and this one; and this other one - all of them had spoken of this which you have been slow of heart to believe about Me."

As the writer of Hebrews will later lament concerning said types of blinding bias to his readers...

Hebrews 5:10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec. 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

What had kept the Twelve from understanding Him at times?

Their failure, at times; to simply take Him at His Word...

Failure to believe a thing is so, brings with it it's own blindness.

Relying on one's own "diabolical" (stumble causing) ideas...

Matthew 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

In contrast to King David's eye of faith during a very trying time in his amazing life...

Psalms 27:10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. 27:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. 27:12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty. 27:13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

But the point is that, often, one part of a passage, will reveal the intended meaning of another part of a same passage, through a different way of saying, the same thing.

As at the end of the following passage's "God AND our Father."

Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

According to the will of our Father: God.

Danoh

Note: The following is not the same sense of "hid from them" as the above.

1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Paul is relating there that a truth revealed to HIM that he is there writing about, had been a truth that had been hidden by God.

That it did not originate in Paul.

And that it concerns WHO the Lord had actually BEEN - THE Lord OF...GLORY.

AND what said GLORY is all about - The BODY's Glory IN THE SON the Cross had ALSO made possible.

According to Paul, this aspect of God's wisdom in the Cross, had not only been HIDDEN BY GOD, but concerns ADVANCED information.

Advanced information about the Cross that is for those who have matured beyond the Basics of Christ died for your sins.

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

As he wrote two chapters earlier...

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

They've failed to grow beyond the basics of Christ died for your sins.

In other words, they are "yet carnal" as to where they look at things from.

As a result, they are nowhere near ready for "the wisdom of God in a mystery...which God ordained BEFORE the world" was..."unto OUR glory" in the Son's "Lord of Glory" role WITH Him.

The Lord of Glory referring to His Role, Title, or Authority as Only King and Potentate over ALL Creation.

Had the princes of this world known WHO they were actually crucifying; WHAT His crucifixion would actually PROVE - not only with His Resurrection afterwards, but with His subsequent ASCENDING High above ALL Authority, they would not have crucified Him - they would not have crucified He Who turned out WAS/Is THE LORD of Glory HIMSELF

In other words, the LORD of ALL Creation!

And the Corinthians have been saved unto a role WITH HIM in said Glory over ALL Creation, but are nowhere even remotely ready for its training.

Just look at this Glory....

Ephesians 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

The Lord of Glory and His Body.

His Body - the fulness of Him that filleth all in all.

Mystery Age Boot Camp.

Last edited: