A Question For Those On The Left

Jerry Shugart

Will anyone who considers themselves as being progressive explain what kind of law or laws which they would prefer in regard to the problems which are now happening at the southern border of the USA?

What would make them happy?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Will anyone who considers themselves as being progressive explain what kind of law or laws which they would prefer in regard to the problems which are now happening at the southern border of the USA?

What would make them happy?

The extremists want open borders

Jerry Shugart

There are 12 members total currently online. How many progressives were you expecting to show up?

When I saw that you had responded to this thread I got up my hopes that finally a liberal was going to tell us how the border should be handled.

But you offered nothing, just like the other progressives!

They know how not to handle it but they are clueless as to how it should be handled!

Or perhaps you are just shy?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
When I saw that you had responded to this thread I got up my hopes that finally a liberal was going to tell us how the border should be handled.

But you offered nothing.

Of course I did. I pointed out that you were wondering where the liberals were when there were only 12 people here in total. :chuckle: 12 people, Jerry. Most of them not progressive. Did you realize almost nobody was here when you were wondering where all the liberals were?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Will you explain what kind of law or laws which you would prefer in regard to the problems which are now happening at the southern border of the USA?

For starters:

Don't deny border crossers their due rights under the Constitution.
Don't separate children from their parents.
Don't arrest asylum seekers.
Don't close the bridges and border crossings to asylum seekers in order to force them into crossing elsewhere to justify the resulting zero-tolerance arrest.
Reactivate a viable, long-term guest worker program.
Extend another amnesty.
Stop overreach of Border Patrol authority.
Disband ICE.

This one's for Trump: Don't pretend that Mexico will pay for a wall just to get your ego rush from the rally cheers of racists and xenophobes.

Arthur Brain

For starters:

Don't close the bridges and border crossings to asylum seekers in order to force them into crossing elsewhere to justify the resulting zero-tolerance arrest.
Extend another amnesty.
Disband ICE.

This one's for Trump: Don't pretend that Mexico will pay for a wall just to get your ego rush from the rally cheers of racists and xenophobes.

:thumb:

WizardofOz

For starters:

Extend another amnesty.
Disband ICE.

I wonder why Jerry hasn't responded to this post.

Perhaps he has a secret agenda? :chuckle:

Jerry Shugart

Extend another amnesty.
Disband ICE.

None of those things solve the problem!

I can go on and on all day telling others that the way they are doing things is wrong but that doesn't solve the problem. Tell me what "specific" things you would do to fix the problem.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
let's take them one at a time:

which rights, specifically, and how will that solve the problem at our border of uncontrolled illegal "border crossers"?

Wiz answers that here:

Three key Supreme Court decisions in 1886, 1896 and 1903 laid the 14th Amendment basis for the consistent ruling of the court that aliens, legal and illegal, have constitutional protection in criminal and certain civil affairs in the justice system.

Rather compelling legal grounds, I would argue.

Akin to judging a book by its cover or rather, judging a book by its first sentence. 'We the people' determined that aliens, legal or illegal are 'people' and have constitutionally guaranteed' legal rights. Because we are a just nation, 'we the people' are just to illegal aliens.

We start with that. The rest follows.