ECT A comparison between the KJV and the AMP?

Cross Reference

Which translation is more readily agreeable with itself for our understanding the issues?:

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 
Hebrews 2:10 (KJV)

10 For it was an act worthy [of God] and fitting [to the divine nature] that He, for Whose sake and by Whom all things have their existence, in bringing many sons into glory, should make the Pioneer of their salvation perfect [should bring to maturity the human experience necessary to be perfectly equipped for His office as High Priest] through suffering. 
Hebrews 2:10 (AMP) 

32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected. 
Luke 13:32 (KJV)

32 And He said to them, Go and tell that fox [sly and crafty, skulking and cowardly], Behold, I drive out demons and perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish (complete) My course. 
Luke 13:32 (AMP) 

swanca99

I've always considered the Amplified (AMP) to be more of a brief running commentary rather than a translation, although it may contain elements of both. I've never looked carefully into the actual translation.

The Greek word translated "perfect" in both verses you referenced in the KJV can actually be translated as "complete" as well. It depends on the context.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. The KJV at least signals the fact that the same Greek word is used...although the KJV is not always consistent. For example, in the 107th Psalm, one Hebrew work (Chesed) is translated in three different ways: mercy, goodness and lovingkindness.

I have two copies of the AMP, but both of them are in "side-by-side" Bibles so I use it primarily to see if it offers any illumination.

These side-by-side Bibles are interesting, especially if you are really a KJV enthusiast (as I am). Both of the ones I have are published by Zondervan. The one that includes the NIV, KJV, NASB and AMP uses either the Oxford or Cambridge text for the KJV, but the one that just has the KJV and AMP uses the Scrivener text for the KJV. I recently acquired a copy of Zondervan's KJV Study Bible (Large Print!) that also uses the Scrivener text, although I'm not sure that earlier editions used it.

Danoh

Personally I just stick with my KJB.

I like just getting in there and running many passages towards digging out the intended sense of any word or passage.

An added benefit of that being that one learns how to do this on one's own, and based on far more than just one passage.

Also, all that work results in a great familiarity with a great deal of Scripture that then tends to pop into mind where relationships between things are similar.

A downside is the fault that can result in - anytime you hear or read another's words on one thing or another, you often see all sorts of things either for or against what they have said or written.

Many people being as overly insecure as they tend to be, you end up saying nothing; more often than not.

Its great, though, when you run accross someone who not only knows alot also, but who actually enjoys the challenge of "well, what about this," or of "yeah, and there's this also!"

But, I'm rambling :rotfl:

Cross Reference

Thanks for all your good replies.

I throughly believe the KJV needs the Holy Spirit for our understanding. I also believe that the modern [subjective] translations attempt to ease the pain of our having to pay the "Spiritual" price for our understanding them by presenting an academic approach to such understanding devoid of any insight [except theirs, should it followed by subjective academic commentary] that only the inspiration of the Holy Spirit can provide for and as Jesus said He would send to teach us that would make all these extra-Biblical man-made doctrines held in hope by the reader, unnecessary. That leaves the adherence to such interpretations up for grabs by those imprisoned by their own conceits.

Here is an example of such insight vs pure academia absent insight. Compare this one verse from the KJV with other translations to see the richness held by the KJV:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

"I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Galatians 2:20 (AMP)

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 (ESV)

If the reader of his favorite translation would pay attention to tiny prepositions "of" and "in" to compare such passages containing them with the KJV, the message will most often be different. I have also that to be true when reading verses with conjunctives or verses absent conjunctives like "and":
"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 1:1 (KJV)

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus:" Ephesians 1:1 (ESV)

Can you see the differences? I am NOT trying to play on words in this.

Final note to those who rely fully upon commentaries: Throw them away! Pray, ask God to reveal His truths to you. Read your KJV and write your own.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My mom is reading a paraphrased Bible, she likes it. She just started at Genesis a month ago and now she is finish Deut.

OCTOBER23

When I started to read the Bible many years ago,

the KJV was very hard to read due to the Archaic Grammar

and so I started with the Amplified and then New English Bible.

Now I have the OnelineBible KJV with Concordance which is

easy to find and understand the meaning of words.

Danoh

What I've noticed over the years is that whether the KJB's use of word structure and or its individual words are actually "archaic" or not; this actually matters not.

Not if one simply applies Basic Elementary School Rules of Reading for Intended Sense.

Further; I'm sure I'm not alone in this that follows also - where peope often end up off-base as to any word or passage's intended sense is in their having ended up off base in their applicarion of those Basic Rules or Principles.

I find this issue is really this simple...

Cross Reference

What I've noticed over the years is that whether the KJB's use of word structure and or its individual words are actually "archaic" or not; this actually matters not.

Not if one simply applies Basic Elementary School Rules of Reading for Intended Sense.

Further; I'm sure I'm not alone in this that follows also - where peope often end up off-base as to any word or passage's intended sense is in their having ended up off base in their applicarion of those Basic Rules or Principles.

I find this issue is really this simple...
So how do feel about the Gal 2:20 example I offered up to demonstrate the difference for understanding Paul? Post#5